PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Victoria - What stores are worth a visit

wayner
07-13-2004, 03:15 PM
Heading to Victoria Friday, staying in Cobblehill, was wondering what stores in the Victoria area would be worth checking out?, mainly saltwater (Reef stuff).

Thanks

christyf5
07-13-2004, 03:22 PM
I would check out Hillside Aquatics on Hillside Ave (1393 Hillside Ave, 250-480-2897) and Safari Pets just off Blanshard by Future Shop (110-805 Cloverdale Avenue, 250-475-7387) Both are pretty good stores IMO :biggrin:

Christy :)

Aquattro
07-13-2004, 04:39 PM
Both are pretty good stores IMO :biggrin:

Christy :)

Also the only stores, as far as reef stuff goes.

wayner
07-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Thanks Guys!

Jaws
07-13-2004, 10:30 PM
Also the only stores, as far as reef stuff goes.

Actually Creatures on David St, currently relocating to Blanshard and Bay, has quite a few reef tanks set up now but aren't very successful in keeping them. To be quite honest, Safari is the only one I've found worth dealing with. The others don't have very good credibility. Just my opinion though along with a few others.

Aquattro
07-13-2004, 11:04 PM
Actually Creatures on David St, .....aren't very successful in keeping them.

Big understatement!! :razz:

Jaws
07-14-2004, 12:07 AM
Agreed! I actually look at the fish they keep in there and feel ultimately sorry for the little guys. If i've ever seen a frown on a fish's face before, it's at this place.

reefhawk
07-14-2004, 01:57 AM
If yer driving check out a few places in kelowna on the way back. Easy distance and time for gettin stuff home alive. I bring back stuff from calgary all the time.

Jaws
07-22-2004, 03:40 AM
How did you make out in Vic? See anything you like?

JohnM99
07-22-2004, 02:18 PM
I have had good success with purchases at Hillside. I don't like the attitudes at Safari - he brings in all sorts of things that have no business in captivity all the time (18" Remora, etc) and doesn't care at all about cyanide collecting.

Creatures is a dreadful place. Bought 80 feeder fish there, and all died before they could be fed. Their reef stuff is awful. Don't count on anything surviving the ride home.

Hillside also sells some things they shouldn't (you will find dyed corals there sometimes) but Cora is very nice and helpful, and most of the corals are good.

Victoria isn't a great place for reef shops, though. Even if you find something healthy, it will be expen$ive.

Vancouver is much better.

For equipment, forget Victoria. Mostly low end stuff, vastly overpriced. Go online.

Aquattro
07-22-2004, 04:54 PM
I have had good success with purchases at Hillside. I don't like the attitudes at Safari - he brings in all sorts of things that have no business in captivity all the time (18" Remora, etc) .

John, did you know that the Remora originally came from Hillside? It was purchased for a commercial tank, and then the purchaser pawned it off at Safari. Just thought we should get facts before we post something like this. :rolleyes:

Jaws
07-22-2004, 07:53 PM
Be very careful purchasing at Hillside. Kindness and courtesy only go so far. I've heard lots of people talk about how they've purchased things from Hillside that aren't really reef safe or don't make it through the night due to sickness. This happens almost everywhere I understand, but most have found Hillside to be in it for business purposes rather than proper instruction. Just my opinion though. As far as knowledge goes, I've found Safari to be by far the best.

JohnM99
07-23-2004, 06:30 AM
John, did you know that the Remora originally came from Hillside? It was purchased for a commercial tank, and then the purchaser pawned it off at Safari.

I did not know that. I must say, I have seen more than 1 Moorish Idol at Hillside, and have been given incorrect advice there (always on the side of making a purchase). But, the things I have bought there have done well. I don't have as much experience buying from Safari - but a few discussions there about cyanide left me very cold. But, probably no better in that respect at Hillside - most of there stuff is from Phillipines or Indonesia.

I suppose Victoria is not a great place for SW shops.