PDA

View Full Version : Wrasses

Doug
12-04-2013, 03:23 AM
So if I add no sand, can I keep any wrasses besides fairy wrasse,s or cantankerous six lines.

Or do they just all jump out.

Coralgurl
12-04-2013, 03:41 AM
They jump out even with sand......:mrgreen:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-04-2013, 04:04 AM
You could try adding a small tupperware container of sand in the back of your tank behind the rock work so its not so visible.

And yes, they jump out sand/no sand, covered/uncovered. They are the reef's lemmings (ie. death wish fish)

Doug
12-04-2013, 04:21 AM
Ya guess thats the truth Anthony. And for someone like me who dislikes anything on top of their open top tank, I guess I should be passing on them.

Must be lots more small fishies I can put in my tank.

Delphinus
12-04-2013, 04:24 AM
If you can get the clear bird netting and use the window frame things, it can looks surprisingly OK on an open top tank...

But yeah, without something in place, I think it's just a matter of time before something startles them and they do the quick zip thing that sometimes ends up trajectory'ing right outta the tank. :(

Doug
12-04-2013, 04:32 AM
If you can get the clear bird netting and use the window frame things, it can looks surprisingly OK on an open top tank...

But yeah, without something in place, I think it's just a matter of time before something startles them and they do the quick zip thing that sometimes ends up trajectory'ing right outta the tank. :(

I have seen some done with that Tony. Not sure if thats what I would do.. I just bought 3 of those beautiful lined chromis from Kraken.

I cant add a dwarf angel as I have all sps and clams. As I will have "old fart style" to much rock in my reef, I would like fishies that also like that and swim in and out through the rock.

neoh
12-04-2013, 04:38 AM
I managed to catch my wrasse jumping out (I've lost 3 in the last 6 months from jumping..) and scooped 'em up and threw him back in the tank with no ill effects. :)

But yeah. Those suckers like to carpet surf.

Doug
12-04-2013, 04:42 AM
Im afraid Ratfink, my wiener dog will get to them before I will if they flopping around the floor....:lol:

Wheelman76
12-04-2013, 05:55 AM
I managed to catch my wrasse jumping out (I've lost 3 in the last 6 months from jumping..) and scooped 'em up and threw him back in the tank with no ill effects. :)

But yeah. Those suckers like to carpet surf.

And you still don't have a cover?

Madreefer
12-04-2013, 06:49 AM
Your going bare bottom? It looks so unnatural.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-04-2013, 09:04 AM
I personally hate the bb look on my tanks. Tried it once on my 210g back in the day and my wife & I hated it.

Doug, look at getting a Cherub dwarf/dwarf angel. Only grows to 1.5-2" but beautiful royal blue with yellow face. Not too expensive either. One of my fav. fish.

StirCrazy
12-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Your going bare bottom? It looks so unnatural.

only for a bit, I also will never put sand in a tank again.

mark
12-04-2013, 02:03 PM
have a 6Line in a BB for around 7 years and no problems but I do have a hood, though he's never been in the overflow nor have I found him on the eurobracing.

Old tank did loose a coris wrasse through a tiny gap so know they'll jump.

Doug
12-04-2013, 02:11 PM
I personally hate the bb look on my tanks. Tried it once on my 210g back in the day and my wife & I hated it.

Doug, look at getting a Cherub dwarf/dwarf angel. Only grows to 1.5-2" but beautiful royal blue with yellow face. Not too expensive either. One of my fav. fish.

I would love to Anthony, but would it not nip at my sps and/or clams?

have a 6Line in a BB for around 7 years and no problems but I do have a hood, though he's never been in the overflow nor have I found him on the eurobracing.

Old tank did loose a coris wrasse through a tiny gap so know they'll jump.

I like six lines Mark. I dont think they require sand as the sleep in the rock. Are they not the one that makes a slime type nest around themselves at night.

They are great for a tank of my design. But they can become bullies and I have seen them knock snails off the glass, for a snack. My friends in his 180 was the almost the size of my female perc. And we wondered what was happening to all his snails....:lol:

But a nice option for sure.

Oh and forgot to add, his 6 line was many year old and it did finally die by jumping.

Madreefer
12-04-2013, 02:36 PM
I have a coral beauty as well as a bellus angel. They dont touch any of my corals.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Google Cherub angels. They are completely reefsafe in my experience. Have had them for at least 7-8 years now. Living with clams, softies, lps, sps & anemones. Never a problem.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+16+455&pcatid=455

Aquattro
12-04-2013, 02:39 PM
I have an Emperor Angel, perfectly safe :) Pretty too

Doug
12-04-2013, 03:06 PM
I have an Emperor Angel, perfectly safe :) Pretty too

:lol: Dont think he will like my 50g to much.

Doug
12-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Google Cherub angels. They are completely reefsafe in my experience. Have had them for at least 7-8 years now. Living with clams, softies, lps, sps & anemones. Never a problem.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+16+455&pcatid=455

Thanks for the link. They are beautiful. Never nipped at your clam mantles?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Nope never. Had them with Derasas, Squamosas, Croceas and Maximas over the years. I cannot guarantee that you'll have same experience though:wink:

My present one lives with Squamosa.

intarsiabox
12-05-2013, 12:49 AM
I have a yellow wrasse in BB tank. At night he just hides in the rocks. I don't know if it is typical but he never goes any higher than the lower 1/3 of the tank so no jumping episodes yet.

SmallFry
12-13-2013, 09:17 PM
I cant add a dwarf angel as I have all sps and clams. As I will have "old fart style" to much rock in my reef, I would like fishies that also like that and swim in and out through the rock.

I don't have a lot in the way of corals but my Coral Beauty completely ignores my Crocea, it also completely ignored my Montipora before it got wiped out and hasn't gone for the tiny frag of Acropora, nor my Chalice or Favia. Obviously all fish are individuals, and I may just have been lucky.

I had similar reservations about dwarf angels too, but I was told that the Coral Beauty was less of a risk for nibbling on things than a Flame Angel when I bought it - I have no evidence for this, it was just what I was told..
My Coral Beauty also spends pretty much all it's time weaving in and out through the rock - it's going to love it when my new rock is cured...

Not really trying to sell you on dwarf angels though, just might not be as bad for 'sampling' your reef as you might initially think.

Rob.

Doug
12-17-2013, 03:15 AM
I don't have a lot in the way of corals but my Coral Beauty completely ignores my Crocea, it also completely ignored my Montipora before it got wiped out and hasn't gone for the tiny frag of Acropora, nor my Chalice or Favia. Obviously all fish are individuals, and I may just have been lucky.

I had similar reservations about dwarf angels too, but I was told that the Coral Beauty was less of a risk for nibbling on things than a Flame Angel when I bought it - I have no evidence for this, it was just what I was told..
My Coral Beauty also spends pretty much all it's time weaving in and out through the rock - it's going to love it when my new rock is cured...

Not really trying to sell you on dwarf angels though, just might not be as bad for 'sampling' your reef as you might initially think.

Rob.

Actually Rob they have always been my favorites. About 15yrs ago, another reefer and I in Thompson, tried to mate a pair without much luck.. My worry is my clams. I have three now and likely buy another couple.

I once gave up several beautiful clams because my 3yr. old copperband started to pick on them, so trying to watch close what I add this time, as the clams are going to be a feature along with my acros.

They have a baby coral beauty down at the local place. Just gorgeous and healthy. Eating everything. It takes all my will power to not buy it.

craigwmiller
12-17-2013, 06:57 AM
Can't trust a wrasse not to jump, so save them from themselves and put a screen cover.

I use a piece of plastic chicken wire (3/8" squares) which attaches to the top of the euro bracing with 3M Command clips. (takes about 15 seconds to take the entire screen off, but normally I just take of 2 or 3 points in a few seconds to add a fish or move a frag/etc.

My most recent install of the chicken wire on my latest tank was about 2 hours after I added a fairy wrasse. (I lucked out trusting a yellow, a mccoskers, and a couple leopards previously, but since I had the stuff I decided not be be lazy)... About an hour after the 10 minute install, I fed the fish and the new wrasse decided to eat (YAY) and then get intimidated by my powder brown and dart out of the water, deflecting the net by about 3-ish inches... I cheered since it was a good show and that he wasn't able to commit suicide!

Cover it, wrasses & blenny's get startled easily and can leave the water.

Skimmerking
12-18-2013, 02:42 AM
Doug my cleaner wrasse is amazing and he moves a lot throughout the rock

Doug
12-18-2013, 04:42 AM
I just want your leopards.

Leah
12-18-2013, 11:46 AM
I just want your leopards.

Just to be clear...you have seen him wearing them also. :jaw:

Spyd
12-18-2013, 12:09 PM
You can all ways spend the money on a custom lid. I am getting one of these made:

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q489/spyd80/Mesh-lid_zps563d0e21.jpg

Laser cut and sits flush with the top of your tank, minus a small piece of acrylic in the corners. I am getting one made for my 180G tank. Not the cheapest lid out there but extremely well crafted and fully customized. It still allows you to keep that rimless look and keep fish like Wrasse / Anthias, etc.

Doug
12-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Just to be clear...you have seen him wearing them also. :jaw:

Actually ....yup....:lol: