PDA

View Full Version : Sea Snails at T&T

Samw
09-14-2002, 06:04 PM
I was shopping for groceries at T&T Supermarket downtown today and what did I see? Live Sea Snails: $3.99/lb. I looked at them for about 10 minutes and they look exactly like Margarita snails. Man, what a deal. I can't be 100% certain they were Margaritas but the shell shape, color, and the snail's head and body all look like Margaritas. Anyone know for sure? Anyone want to split a pound?? smile.gif I guess I could just buy a 1/4 pound.

pocilipora
09-14-2002, 07:01 PM
Were they in warm or cold water? Did you ask where they came from or what kind they were? Can you buy 1 and put it in your sump to see what it does?

Samw
09-14-2002, 07:18 PM
They were in the same shellfish tank as their Manila clams which I assume are from the tropics. I didn't ask where they were from. I think they keep their tank water cooler than usual though to lower the metabolism of all their shellfish. I don't think I could buy just 1 snail. It wouldn't weigh anything on the scale. smile.gif I might buy a 1/4 lb if its possible. That would only be $1. They were all in bags of one or two hundred. I don't know if they'll rebag them but wouldn't hurt to ask. Heck even for $4 for the bag, it could be worth a try. I expect some would be dead already.

I don't have a sump. Maybe I can put them in a floating breeding trap.

If someone else nearby wants to give it a look or ask the guys at the counter where they came from, let us know what you find.

[ 14 September 2002, 15:21: Message edited by: Sam W ]

JoJo
09-14-2002, 07:43 PM
Look at it this way Sam, if they don't work out for the tank, you can always eat them!!!! :D :D LOL

If I get a chance tonight or tomorrow, I'll swing by the T&T in Richmond and check it out.

Danny

[ 14 September 2002, 15:47: Message edited by: JoJo ]

Jacoda
09-14-2002, 10:21 PM
Hmmm.....some hot red peppers and black bean sauce goes good with it! :D :D :D

Sorry Sam! had to do it!!!

Serious note: It would be interesting to see it survive and find out what it eats.

Samw
09-14-2002, 10:39 PM
Sounds good. Let me know. Its the first time I've seen T&T sell it so I assume its not a regular item. They had only 4 bags left this morning. Don't know if the Richmond store will have them. Don't really know how people prepare/cook them. Its not the same snail that you see as escargot in restaurants.

[ 14 September 2002, 18:39: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Samw
09-15-2002, 11:17 PM
Hey Jojo. They got a fresh shipment of live snails today.

Any luck on your side trying to find out what kind of snails these were? I went back to the store today thinking about getting some and I asked a guy where they came from and he said BC. So I guess they aren't Margarita snails or else the guy didn't know what I was asking. They do look very similar to Margaritas though. But oh well, no such luck. Too bad we can't get tropical snails for $4/lb.

[ 15 September 2002, 19:41: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Tigger
09-16-2002, 02:14 AM
I thought I remember somebody telling me that margarita snails are actually cold water snails. Is this true?

StirCrazy
09-16-2002, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Tigger:
I thought I remember somebody telling me that margarita snails are actually cold water snails. Is this true?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">there are a few viriaties and yes most are cold water snails that will not live long in the tanks.. every once and a while the proper tropical ones are brought it (if you concider florada the tropics :D ) thease ones do well .. well untill the blue leg hermits get them :rolleyes:

Steve

JoJo
09-16-2002, 02:51 AM
NO luck on my side! Ace and I went to the T&T in Burnaby, they didn't have any.

But for $4/lb, we might just get some and try. Let you know.

Samw
09-16-2002, 02:58 AM
Looks like this question has been asked before (last year) on RC.

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36523&highlight=cold+water+snail

Not sure what they decided though.