PDA

View Full Version : Bubble magus just got serious!

mrhasan
12-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Leaked photos show a controllable skimmer (with DC pump....duh!) and a wavemaker which looks like a ripoff of vortech. Not surprising since Jebao already took care of tunzi ripoff. Well, I can't wait for the wave maker :)

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/12/03/leaked-photo-shows-bubble-maguss-plans-controllable-skimmer-pump/

ashr
12-03-2013, 06:01 PM
I hope the price is better than the vortech! We need more options that are not 300.00+. I'm happy to see more companies going after the big name boys

FishyFishy!
12-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Thats sweet. I have to say that bang for the buck, Bubble Magus always impresses me. It's nice to see cheaper options out there for us reefers that can't buy the expensive stuff.

Ron99
12-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Hmmmm. It does look a bit Vortech like from the pics but not sure if they will be able to sell that in the US. Ecotech have a patent on the magnetically coupled pump design like that.

Proteus
12-03-2013, 07:25 PM
How long has ecotech had the pm power heads. I though but can be very wrong. THat patents were limited to 10 years

Ron99
12-03-2013, 08:21 PM
How long has ecotech had the pm power heads. I though but can be very wrong. THat patents were limited to 10 years

20 years from the filing date and it looks like it was filed in 2010. Here's a link if you're curious:

https://www.google.com/patents/US8197232?dq=inassignee:%22Ecotech,+Inc.%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=-0yeUvqfIeGdiAKimIGgBw&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAA

Looks like they have a couple earlier patents too.

Ron99
12-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Actually, after looking at the pictures again I don't think it is an Ecotech style pump. Looks like it's fully in tank, just two colours of plastic (maybe for the prototype).

mrhasan
12-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Actually, after looking at the pictures again I don't think it is an Ecotech style pump. Looks like it's fully in tank, just two colours of plastic (maybe for the prototype).

The change of color is probably due to reflection. But I think its coupled up since no suction cup or any sort of attachment can be seen. If BM doesn't pay for that patent, they are getting sued. Unless these pumps use something different.

Proteus
12-03-2013, 08:30 PM
I think if they can get around the patent issue and create a similar product it be great

Ron99
12-03-2013, 08:42 PM
To me it looks like it's mounted on some sort of plastic base that attaches to the glass somehow. You can see it below the powerhead itself. I don't see any space between that would be the glass between internal and external parts.

Proteus
12-03-2013, 08:48 PM
To me it looks like it's mounted on some sort of plastic base that attaches to the glass somehow. You can see it below the powerhead itself. I don't see any space between that would be the glass between internal and external parts.

I think your right. Be more like the success power heads and controller

mrhasan
12-03-2013, 09:07 PM

Very good pointer. Didn't notice that. :redface:

Aqua-Digital
12-03-2013, 09:54 PM
we will start importing the controllable skimmers in the spring, thats the bench marked release date.

As for the controllable wave pumps, we shall see, quality is key here. This is a new area for Bubble Magus so we will only import products that we have personally tested for a period of time.

Ron99
12-03-2013, 10:23 PM
Honestly, I don't see the point of a controllable pump on a skimmer. The pump's output should be matched to the skimmer. Making it adjustable just gives the end user one more setting to get wrong and have to balance with other settings. I prefer just an adjustable output (wedge pipe/gate valve etc) to get your water level in the skimmer right and maybe an adjustable volute/venturi to adjust the air draw. That's all you need. Why add another complication?

Aqua-Digital
12-03-2013, 10:30 PM
I agree mostly however there are some benefits, it removes the need for water level adjustment in the sump and can be turned down at times of heavy feeding or nutrient loading.

it is not by any means a requirement of a performance increase. It also allows for sellers to sell pumps that do not require canadian health approvals such as CSA and TUV as the units fall under the class 2 category.

uniboob
12-04-2013, 01:51 AM
Honestly, I don't see the point of a controllable pump on a skimmer. The pump's output should be matched to the skimmer. Making it adjustable just gives the end user one more setting to get wrong and have to balance with other settings. I prefer just an adjustable output (wedge pipe/gate valve etc) to get your water level in the skimmer right and maybe an adjustable volute/venturi to adjust the air draw. That's all you need. Why add another complication?

Also you can buy a skimmer that will suit your tank now, and still use same skimmer in an upgrade with all that needs to be done is turn up controller. I have heard many people using this feature currently on other controllable skimmers, as there bio load grows, they just then turn up skimmer.

Ron99
12-04-2013, 05:47 AM
Also you can buy a skimmer that will suit your tank now, and still use same skimmer in an upgrade with all that needs to be done is turn up controller. I have heard many people using this feature currently on other controllable skimmers, as there bio load grows, they just then turn up skimmer.

I'm still not sold. I don't think that's the way to adjust and balance a skimmer. The amount of flow should match the size of the body etc. to maximize dwell time and removal of DOC. So the flow should be matched to the skimmer and you can adjust skim by adjusting air draw for more or less bubbles and the water level in the skimmer for where the foam breaks. That's my understanding anyhow. :smile:

StirCrazy
12-04-2013, 01:09 PM
It also allows for sellers to sell pumps that do not require Canadian health approvals such as CSA and TUV as the units fall under the class 2 category.

there is the absolutely best reason not to buy one in then, if sellers can't be bothered to get CSA approval for products then they have no right selling them in Canada, and yes I know they are exempt, but maybe they shouldn't be.

Steve

Ron99
12-04-2013, 04:39 PM
there is the absolutely best reason not to buy one in then, if sellers can't be bothered to get CSA approval for products then they have no right selling them in Canada, and yes I know they are exempt, but maybe they shouldn't be.

Steve

+1 Good for the manufacturer. Keeps costs down so hopefully that translates to a cheaper retail price. But I suspect it benefits the manufacturer much more than the consumer.

Skimmerking
12-04-2013, 04:48 PM
I'm still not sold. I don't think that's the way to adjust and balance a skimmer. The amount of flow should match the size of the body etc. to maximize dwell time and removal of DOC. So the flow should be matched to the skimmer and you can adjust skim by adjusting air draw for more or less bubbles and the water level in the skimmer for where the foam breaks. That's my understanding anyhow. :smile:

Ron exactly you hit the nail on the head... having a skimmer with a controller pump. isn't going to give you a bigger skimmer
you need
1. Contact time caused by
A. wider Chamber or B. Taller Chamber.
2. air bubbles to be finer this will be caused be the air you are letting in and the type of wheel to chop up.
3. yes a pump will help. However if your body isnt matched to the skimmers pump then you are not doing but pushing the skimmer to overflow. And allow the skimer to be inconsistant. turning up the pump on the skimmer will not cause a increase in performance. it will help alittle but in the end if you chamber is not big to keep the bubbles going for contact time. Then you are doing Crap.

Skimmerking
12-04-2013, 04:52 PM

Not to sound rude. please dont take this as a attack . just stating a fact.

Nope that isnt true. please show me one example .. and going from a 40 gal to a 80 gal isnt considered a actual upgrade.

If you are stating that a increase of 80 gal tank to a 120 gal tank maybe a bit but not alot.

If you are stating that a upgrade from 80 gal to a 200 gal nope you wont see it happeneing.

Aqua-Digital
12-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Agree this is why we have not rushed into the DC range yet. we will of course supply on demand, but lets see what comes.

I spoke at length with Bubble magus late last night and right now they are releasing no details at all. What was seen was a "thought in motion" rather than a pre production test.

No doubt these products will arrive, but I am not hearing any time soon.

uniboob
12-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Not to sound rude. please dont take this as a attack . just stating a fact.

Nope that isnt true. please show me one example .. and going from a 40 gal to a 80 gal isnt considered a actual upgrade.

If you are stating that a increase of 80 gal tank to a 120 gal tank maybe a bit but not alot.

If you are stating that a upgrade from 80 gal to a 200 gal nope you wont see it happeneing.

No worries, I appreciate your response and feedback. I have never used or owned a variable DC pump. How is going from a 40 gallon system to a 80 not an upgrade?

Higher the pump is turned up the more water and air it would draw, therefore skimming harder if I understand them correctly.

Proteus
12-04-2013, 11:50 PM
No worries, I appreciate your response and feedback. I have never used or owned a variable DC pump. How is going from a 40 gallon system to a 80 not an upgrade?

Higher the pump is turned up the more water and air it would draw, therefore skimming harder if I understand them correctly.

From what I understand the body size and pump match so your debris ends up in the cup. Not just collecting in the neck. So a large skimmer turned down seems to me that it's not a effecient device. Some think you can't have to big of a skimmer I think otherwise.

StirCrazy
12-06-2013, 12:29 AM
Some think you can't have to big of a skimmer I think otherwise.

I am one of thoes, but there is a differance between running a large skimmer on a small tank and running a large skimmer that has been turned down on a small tank.

i don't think the purpose of having a VDC pump would be for upgradability (and yes going from a 40 to a 80 is a upgrade) but rather for fine tuning, and also some power savings.

Steve