PDA

View Full Version : I'd

darkreef
12-02-2013, 10:19 PM
I'm guessing its bad because nothing good ever comes my way :p

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad296/darkreef5/image_zps3a36662a.jpg (http://s945.photobucket.com/user/darkreef5/media/image_zps3a36662a.jpg.html)

They kinda move around . There not taking over or nothing . They don't look bad :p and eat left overs

Baker
12-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Just looks like an aptasia to me. Oh and they WILL take over if you dont keep em down.

darkreef
12-02-2013, 10:23 PM
Yah it is heard of it never seen in in person.
Why don't people like them ?

Baker
12-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Because they do take over and they are an anenome and will sting coral.

darkreef
12-02-2013, 10:41 PM
This is in my sump can I just put a shrimp in there let him clean house .
But I got a dwarf lionfish kinda a hit or miss if he will eat him in my display . He don't touch my fire shrimp

Baker
12-02-2013, 10:45 PM
I spot kill mine with aptasia x. Peppermint shrimp are hit and miss. Nudibrancs are hard to come by and not worth it to kill a couple. Some people use vinegar or aptasia x which is just kalkwasser.

mrhasan
12-02-2013, 10:52 PM
I spot kill mine with aptasia x. Peppermint shrimp are hit and miss. Nudibrancs are hard to come by and not worth it to kill a couple. Some people use vinegar or aptasia x which is just kalkwasser.

I don't think aptasia x is all kalkwasser. Joe juice is. Just one aptasia x should be easy to take care of using AX or JJ. Nuke it!

darkreef
12-02-2013, 11:29 PM
Got my friend going to get me a needle so I can inject them . Wanted to start dosing vinegar anyways now that I beat cyano :)

EmilyB
12-03-2013, 03:00 AM
I keep a filefish. They might eat zoos, but even though there is aiptasia in my overflow, there is not a single one in the tank. :biggrin:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62292

darkreef
12-03-2013, 03:07 AM
It's only a 33 gallon.lol

In the middle of my upgrade process

intarsiabox
12-03-2013, 03:09 AM
If you just have a few kalk paste and a plastic syringe will work fine.

asylumdown
12-03-2013, 04:51 AM
Is this thing only on one rock? Dude, save yourself months worth of sadness and headache and take that entire rock out. Let it dry out for 6 weeks (or however long it takes to be bone dry) or boil it for an hour. Injecting it with any of those chemicals is just going to make it worse in the long run. Also you said you noticed that it moved, every cm that it moves across your rock it leaves a dozen tiny bits of itself behind (they're called pedal lacerations), and each one will sprout in to a teeny tiny little aiptasia. That rock is likely infested with them by now, only they're all too small for you to see.

No single piece of live rock, especially a sump piece, is worth risking those things taking over your entire tank. If you search forums you'll find that next to ich, aiptasia are probably the biggest marine aquarium scourge. In the allopathic battle between aiptasia and everything else that you actually paid for, aiptasia always wins. They'll pop up right in the middle of zoa colonies and eventually kill them, they cause tissue recession on any LPS or SPS that touches them, and they sting the heck out of clam mantles.

Chances that you'll kill the thing completely with an injectable (acid, joe's juice, kalk paste, what have you.) are very low and in the process it will likely release thousands of microscopic planula in to the water column that will settle on everything and start to grow new aiptasia. Further more, if you can see one on that rock, there's most certainly a dozen more that you just can't see yet. They can and will reproduce faster than you can kill them, and they will find places to grow in your tank that you'll never be able to reach with any syringe or tool you can buy for working with a tank.

If this is something that can be nipped in the bud simply by removing that rock and sterilizing it, you should consider yourself lucky.

Wheelman76
12-03-2013, 04:57 AM
+1 great advice!!!

darkreef
12-03-2013, 05:05 AM
Is this thing only on one rock? Dude, save yourself months worth of sadness and headache and take that entire rock out. Let it dry out for 6 weeks (or however long it takes to be bone dry) or boil it for an hour. Injecting it with any of those chemicals is just going to make it worse in the long run. Also you said you noticed that it moved, every cm that it moves across your rock it leaves a dozen tiny bits of itself behind (they're called pedal lacerations), and each one will sprout in to a teeny tiny little aiptasia. That rock is likely infested with them by now, only they're all too small for you to see.

No single piece of live rock, especially a sump piece, is worth risking those things taking over your entire tank. If you search forums you'll find that next to ich, aiptasia are probably the biggest marine aquarium scourge. In the allopathic battle between aiptasia and everything else that you actually paid for, aiptasia always wins. They'll pop up right in the middle of zoa colonies and eventually kill them, they cause tissue recession on any LPS or SPS that touches them, and they sting the heck out of clam mantles.

Chances that you'll kill the thing completely with an injectable (acid, joe's juice, kalk paste, what have you.) are very low and in the process it will likely release thousands of microscopic planula in to the water column that will settle on everything and start to grow new aiptasia. Further more, if you can see one on that rock, there's most certainly a dozen more that you just can't see yet. They can and will reproduce faster than you can kill them, and they will find places to grow in your tank that you'll never be able to reach with any syringe or tool you can buy for working with a tank.

If this is something that can be nipped in the bud simply by removing that rock and sterilizing it, you should consider yourself lucky.

Great advice but I bought some live rock off a guy a few months ago and he told me they were a type of feather duster and now I got a big problem . Real big problem . Dam

darkreef
12-10-2013, 04:17 AM
Finally my needles are here ! Should I inject it into there mouth or right into them. Going to try both ways ! See which one works better