PDA

View Full Version : Prizm Skimmer

sumpfinfishe
09-07-2002, 05:16 PM
Hello gang! I just started hanging out here as I could no longer put up with some of the *#?%! at
reef central.My first ? for you all is: I just picked up a new Prizm protein skimmer last week as I was using an old antique sanders model. Does anyone have any input on my new Prizm?
Thanks,sumpfinfishe

kris
09-07-2002, 05:29 PM
Hey Rich. What model did you pick up of the prizm serries. They have two. Also what size tank is it that its on, if i rember right it was around 45? is that corect?

I had an older model of the prizm on a 33g with a moderate Bio load. I really liked it. The only down side is they are fineky to set to get good skimmming. Just keep playing with it. Also i took a plastic rod type thing and used it to prop it up higher. I found thins helpt alot. Well that is my thoughts on it, Cheers!

Aquattro
09-07-2002, 05:30 PM
Welcome to canreef. First question back at you tongue.gif ....what size tank and what is in it?

sumpfinfishe
09-07-2002, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the input Kris. The tanks a 27 gl stretch and the Prizm is the 100gl starter model. It's working but like you said-it's hard to get the perfect setting. Also Brad you can see my entire reef at my home page-see my profile Cheers! Rich

[ 07 September 2002, 13:53: Message edited by: sumpfinfishe ]

Canadian
09-07-2002, 08:51 PM
What was the problem at ReefCentral? It didn't have anything to do with the fact that you have 2 Regal Tangs in a 27 gallon tank did it?

Aquattro
09-07-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Canadian:
What was the problem at ReefCentral? It didn't have anything to do with the fact that you have 2 Regal Tangs in a 27 gallon tank did it?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Andrew, I assume you read the following?

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97794

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97870

Canadian
09-07-2002, 09:03 PM
Never mind. I looked into it - of course that's what the problem was. Truth be told, you aren't going to find many alternative opinions here on this board regarding your disconcern for the ethical husbandry of Tangs. Read: the Tang Police hang out here too.

Canadian
09-07-2002, 09:06 PM
Yeah, after I posted I logged onto ReefCentral to see what the problem was. And what a shocker: a bunch of jerks were giving this poor guy a hard time for having 2 Regal Tangs in a 27 gallon tank - the nerve of those righteous bastards who care about the well-being of the animals we keep!

reefburnaby
09-07-2002, 09:26 PM
Hi,

Two Hippo tangs, two clowns and three gobies is pretty high for a Prism. So, I think you'll find that it is marginal and highly dependent on if you feed the fish/coral lightly or very heavily.

One test you can try is to run both your skimmers on the same tank (the old CC and the new one)...does the combined output of the skimmers equal, less or more than the new skimmer. If it is equal...then you are skimming fairly efficiently. If the combined is higher...then your skimmer is too small and you'll need to figure out a way to remove more nutrients.

A good example of a skimmer that could handle the load better is a PM HOT-1. The key difference is the air/water reaction chamber size.

- Victor.

[ 07 September 2002, 17:41: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

Mak
09-07-2002, 10:58 PM
The Prizm will be great once you get rid of those POOR Tangs. You've OBVIOUSLY been informed that those or any other Tang do not belong in a 27g PERIOD, yet you continue to do so :mad: . GET RID OF THEM IMEDIATLY, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD .

Gee, where do you sign up to be "A pround member of the Tang Police" ? ;)

Samw
09-08-2002, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by sumpfinfishe:
Hello gang! I just started hanging out here as I could no longer put up with some of the *#?%! at
reef central.My first ? for you all is: I just picked up a new Prizm protein skimmer last week as I was using an old antique sanders model. Does anyone have any input on my new Prizm?
Thanks,sumpfinfishe<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry, this isn't the answer you're looking for. But I'm curious, what is the issue with Reef Central that is bothering you? Just curious. Thanks.

Ooops. Never mind. I didn't finish reading the thread. But now, there's no way to delete my post. The checkbox to delete is gone.

[ 08 September 2002, 00:24: Message edited by: Sam W ]

sumpfinfishe
09-08-2002, 08:09 AM
Hey Canadian, so you think you know it all, well I have one piece of advice for you- you can't even give any kinda advice when you don't know the whole story. Just because a few reefers vented on my setup, oh well- my heart is broken! That's not why I left, more so for the fact that to many people judged before they listened-like you!
My reef is running just fine, my single tang is healthy and growing each and every day. My older tang was given to my roomie who has a 60 gl. And yes there is such a tank as a 27 gl-it's the same as a 33 except just a tad less in height. Getting back to the tang issue- I can and have kept tangs in my reef for up to two years before I trade them with friends or my l.f.s. for smaller juviniles. I would never keep a fish longer if I knew I was impeeding it's health or growth rate. So if you wanna pick a fight there Mr. "jump to the gun" I suggest you look some place else as I'm not gonna waste any more time with your quick without thinking comments. Instead I am here on this forum to help and get to know fellow reefers who have more to do than you.

Doug
09-08-2002, 10:38 AM
Guys,
Please keep the response civil. There is no doubt this is a topic, that leads to heated posts.

If its going to be discussed here, please keep personal attacks out.

I personally know how hot these threads get, :rolleyes:

Canadian
09-08-2002, 01:16 PM
And here's the problem with this hobby and people like you: You treat living animals in the same manner you would treat a vehicle - purchase one and trade it in when it no longer suits your needs.

There was no gun to jump. You "had" ;) 2 Regal Tangs in the same 27 gallon aquarium. That was all I commented on. Yet, you got your knickers in a bunch and went off about the fact that a 27-long does exist, and blah, blah, blah. Your quick defense leads me to believe that you have a pretty good idea that what you're doing isn't right, and your omission and deletion of the picture of your tank with 2 Tangs helps to reinforce that.

2 Tangs (http://reefcentral.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=98047e7aa8ae5f18cf2567383d9bd496&postid=663602)

naesco
09-08-2002, 06:26 PM
Sumpfinfishe

I don't know how to tell you nicely as most reefers would get the messages you have received from members of this and reefcentral.
The fact is keeping these tangs in a 29 is not acceptable. Please return the fish to a LFS now or trade them from this board.
Many reefers will be happy to help you and you can share your knowledge with us.

Do you get the message now?
Thank you

Mak
09-08-2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by sumpfinfishe:
I would never keep a fish longer if I knew I was impeeding it's health or growth rate. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You claim you have been Reefing for 5 years, and in that time your telling us you had NO knowledge that Tangs get large :rolleyes: .

With that said... I think you have a nice little tank smile.gif . Now you just need to get rid of that last tang and be carefull with that Carpet Anenome ( BTW- What kind of lighting do you have? ). I'm sure there are people on this board that will help you find a Home.

Peace

sumpfinfishe
09-09-2002, 11:46 AM
Thanks for "all" your input on my "Prizm Skimmer"!
To all of those concerned reefers out there that have not visited my home page, I no longer have two regal tangs now. The small tang that I have now will be given to my roomate once it appears to be to large for my tank. Keeping a regal in my reef is fine as it has an entire 3 feet in lenght to swim about, oh I guess I should trade it in to my l.f.s. so they can sell it to someone who has a 72gl- wow that foot is going to make a serious difference I bet-not. I don't know how many of you have been snorkeling or diving in Fiji, but i can speak from personal experience that this type of tang usually occupies about a two foot territory in a large head of coral. It would be nice to have some more input on my new skimmer rather than a few reefers blowing steam! :D

Delphinus
09-09-2002, 12:34 PM
The Prism is an adequate skimmer, with a half-decent effectiveness considering its price. That said, they are only good for very small systems and I find mine to be very high maintenance compared to my counter-current airstone skimmer, which I find to be just as effective. But it really is too high a maintenance item for my liking. My two complaints about the Prism are thus: 1) My U-tube loses siphon daily. I have to reprime the U-tube every day. Every day. Ok, so all I have to do is pinch off the airline for about 5 minutes (or attach it to the priming terminal on the collection cup), so it's not like it's a huge amount of work, but I am rather annoyed that I have to do this every day. Did I mention that I have to do this every day. 2) It seems to need to be kept insanely clean. For the first few months it was an awesome skimmer (because it was very clean for having been new). Nowadays with snails, feather dusters, chitons, etc. making their way into the skimmer, it needs to be cleaned out very often. And I mean, take it to the car wash and pressure blast it kind of clean. Because when it is not clean, it does not skim. I have to clean out my skimmer every 4-5 days like this otherwise it's basically not skimming my tank. By comparison, I have two other tanks, one is run by a RSB hang-on and the other an airstone counter-current type. I have to clean those skimmers out about once a month to my once a week for the Prism. Yeah, they get major dirty during that time but the nice thing is that they still perform when slightly dirty whereas the Prism seems to not be able to handle the slightest amount of slime buildup anywhere within itself (including the overflow).

Now, these might be minor complaints. I don't know, it's going to depend on an individual's tolerances. If I had just the one tank, I might tolerate better the increased maintenance schedule. But with three tanks I look for every shortcut I can take otherwise all I'd ever be doing is fussing with this or that (once in a while I like to just sit back and enjoy the tanks for what they are without having to mess about with something or other! smile.gif )

So .... in conclusion, it is a "not too bad" skimmer given its low-end price (it was cheaper than my airstone counter-current skimmer which I bought used!). There are days I think "yeah this skimmer is OK." Then there are days I want to throw it in the trash. So ... ultimately, I myself wouldn't get another one.

If you've already plunked down the cash for one, don't despair. Mine was a good skimmer for the first little while. It's just that it's not aging gracefully. But if you keep it clean (and I mean CLEAN) you will not be too unhappy with it.

A year from now though you may be looking at a Berlin or a Precision Marine 426 or heck, even a EuroReef and you will be thinking "oh man .... I want one of those." Of course, that's the nature of this hobby altogether though, so that's really not saying much. ;)

cheers

[ 09 September 2002, 08:37: Message edited by: delphinus ]

sumpfinfishe
09-09-2002, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the info delphinus! Yikes I don't know if I like what I hear. The reason why I got away from the sanders model was because of weekly cleaning of the whole unit too! I wasn't being cheap either as two l.f.s. told me that this skimmer would be ideal for a tank my size and that anything else would be just overkill. Time will tell I guess.

Delphinus
09-13-2002, 01:21 PM
Since our conversation I've been thinking about this skimmer some.

Realistically all my comsplaints can be traced back to one design shortcoming: the reaction chamber is too small.

What happens for me (and others) is that you need to crank back the water volume to something like "5% open" in order to prevent the air/water foam from rising too high in the collection cup and spilling over into the cup with perfectly clean water as skimmate.

But the problem for me is that the water flow is so cranked back that air can get into the U-tube, and breaks the siphon within a matter of 12 hours or so. A skimmer is no good if it shuts itself down, no matter how good that foam is.

Thus, there are two modifications I will suggest for anyone who has a Prism and isn't 100% happy with it.

The first is the easy one. Put an airline valve on the air intake. Turn up the water volume, and slowly increase the air until you get some foam. Just don't overdo the air, or else you'll overwhelm that little reaction chamber. Here is the key. You need a top-quality air valve. Those plastic cheapy jobs aren't going to give a fine enough adjustment. What will happen is suddenly they allow too much air in as you slowly open them ... and then the fine adjustments are defeated and the skimmer overwhelms itself.

The only thing I don't really like about this idea is that any time you allow more water through the skimmer, the higher the water column will rise into the reaction chamber, thus giving you less volume in that chamber for good foam production.

This leads me into my second idea (which I haven't tried yet, because I'm going to give idea #1 a solid week or two to see how well it plays out long-term).

The problem is the reaction tube is too small. So, why not extend the reaction tube? It would just be a matter of finding a tube of the appropriate diameter, and you can place this "riser extender" between the skimmer and the collection cup. Perhaps a length of gravel vacuum tubing would work (I haven't looked into this yet). If I try this then I'll post some pictures in the DIY forum. But this way we could have the water AND air fully open. I figure that so long as the tube is long enough the contact time should be long enough and give a really high density skimmate. It wouldn't look too pretty but then again function is more important than esthetics the way I see it .. smile.gif

[ 13 September 2002, 09:23: Message edited by: delphinus ]

sumpfinfishe
09-13-2002, 08:45 PM
Thanks again delphinus for all your quality input.
I am having the same troubles with mine-not a long enough collection chamber! I like your idea on the riser thing except that I think it may be too unbalenced as if I sneeze to hard my cup will fall off already.I have a nice quality brass air fitting that I'm gonna hook up and give a whirl.
Thanks again, Cheers sumfinfishe :D ;)

Diomedes
09-14-2002, 02:43 AM
"Keeping a Tang in a 27 gl tank is not acceptable huh naesco?" What the hell do you know about the range that small hippo tangs occupy in the wild. This massive rant from you consciensious-yet-poorly-informed group of aquarists ****es me off. You claim you care so much about this guy's regal tangs? Well look at your own systems and the pathetic size of them compared to the range of any fish you keep in the wild. You will find that you are in the same boat, because your fish aren't going to distinguish a 33gal footprint from a 135 gallon footprint after 5 days in either. And how about the size of these tangs? If they are small, his 27-with-a-33gal footprint is fine. Paracanthurus hepatus spends much of its time hiding in the wild, scooting from spot to spot. So before you all go jumping on this guy remember that a Tang is gonna get bored with your 135 gal in only a few days, and a samll tang will get bored with a 33gal footprint in about the same. Big deal, stop standing on some freakin platform like you are all marine ecologists. You have all done stupid things to fish before if you have any experience at all, so be at least polite if you wanna voice your OPINION. That's right its just your opinion. Keep your high-brow crap to yourself, you are not the Tang police, you are just a bunch of Egoists waiting to jump on someone who believes differently. The building of a natural landscape, with established live rock and sand bed, strong currents to exercise your tangs, a selection of appropriate foods etc. is more important than size (providing the tang isn't 10 inches long and your tank ten gallons). Either way unless you have 10 to 15 km's of fresh reef a day for your tang, then convict yourself, tang police.

sumpfinfishe
09-14-2002, 05:10 AM
Thanks for the intelligent input Diomedes. Some fishes keepers I tell ya, they have nothing else better to do than try to bring others down.I have been snorkeling and diving in enough parts of the world to say from personal observations that blue tangs most of the time will only take up about two feet territory in a small head of coral, as damsels and wrasses for example take up way more space. My reef is by no means large but I do provide a full three feet of swimming space and lots of current. I wonder if some of the tang police provide this much room in actual lenght after they overload there reefs with rock, coral and fish. I have seen a 72 gal and a 120 gal tank so crowded that I had more room for excercise than both of these tanks. So the tang police can stop wasting your keys(breath) and pick on some one your own size- like yourselfs. Try to determine if your reefs are any better. :D

jedimaster
09-14-2002, 10:43 AM
Being new here I was gonna keep my nose out but... I must say my naso spends most of its time swimming into the current of my maxi 1200 and then turns and floats back and then does the same thing. I don't think that have a tank that was foot smaller would be much of a big deal. I think ehat yo have to measure is bio load and fish activity to determine happines. As we are not able to speak fish. If you can keep your ammo, trates trite in check and your fish seem to swim around happily and eat well, then presumably then are happy. Thats all we can do is presume. I mean really what does a 190 gallon tank have over a 30 gallon long. I mean really? an extra 2 or 3 feet of swiming length? Not much considering int he ocean it could swim a couple of miles without even getting off the reef.

Having said that I do feel that providing as much space for a fish you can the better. Thats why in a couple of year once my naso gts bigger, I'll be going to a 6 foot long tank. but probably an 18" deep one as I find 24" difficult to clean on the bottom parts of the glass.I'll probably be getting only about 10-20 more gallons but more swimming space.

[ 14 September 2002, 06:49: Message edited by: jedimaster ]

stephane
09-14-2002, 11:30 AM
I am far than be an expert on tang but I keep them for at least 10 years now because they are
IMO the most beautiful and easy fish to care in aquarium reef

To all my knowlege a tang that is not happy swim
from on corner to and other all day long and praticaly never stop like if he want to get out of the tank

I find that when they are acclimatate to you
and the tank and came eat in your hand without any fear your tang is simply happy and is not stress anymore by is habitat

I have in my 130 tank a yellow,a purple and a blue
they leave in a six foot tank and they all live in the left side of the tank, rarely swim on the otherside. Did they need bigger tank maybe yes and who know but they realy not seem to have any sign of stress look colorfull and happy as they play all day long piking at rock and swim in current sometime get made between them or maybe they only play like child

On the other hand I found that clown tang are realy big swimer and not very good in a tank even six foot long I have no other experience with other tang but I see a lot of very big naso look very hapy in tank similar as mine

This is my experience with tang I hope it will help

stephane
09-14-2002, 11:36 AM
Ho and about the prizm I tink it's a piece of crap like most of the small skimmer on the market

The one that I try and found to be good for a tank
under 50 gal is a turboflotor

Doug
09-14-2002, 02:28 PM
You know, I see the same arguments over & over & over. Comparing a 3ft. tank to a 6ft. tank to the ocean. :( Keeping baby tangs in a certain size tank is a whole different ball game than keeping adult tangs in the same.

I could write huge post on this, but found it leads absolutely nowhere. And no matter what the argument, aquarists will do as they like. All ones gets for trying to help, is slandered or like several friends, lovely e-mail. Then they leave the boards and the hobby.

This thread had turned back nice again, now this crap. Cant the point be argued without name calling. Stephane, for instance, states his experience and views, without running down others views.

Most people who care about the animals are not egotistic or high-browed or "tang police" or whatever. Please keep the posts within reason, on both sides.

naesco
09-14-2002, 08:22 PM
Diomedes
Please read my post.
You may disagree with I said (keeping two tangs in a 27 gallon is not acceptable) but how could you possibly suggest that this was "blind condemnation"?

Doug
09-14-2002, 10:04 PM
Diomedes, dont worry to much about venting now & then. I know what thats about. :D It now takes all my restraint to stay out. I found it never leads to anything anyways. Also my post was not in reference to yours alone. I just need to keep the thread half decent. Thanks for the response.

I also agree, some of the boards have been getting kinda pig headed at times. However, they have been that way, as far back as I can remember. Heck, AL, use to be huge, like RC. Flame wars kicked the heck out of it.

Anyhow, I sure agree everyone is entitled to their opinions. Thats what these boards are about. If we all agreed, it would be boring. ;) We all need to just keep the arguments,{and thats what they can be}, within the guidelines of the boards.

Canadian
09-14-2002, 10:40 PM
Look, the bottom line is that when accepted experts, like Scott Michael, routinely publish information with regard to suitable fish husbandry and people choose to ignore or blatantly disregard their EXPERT OPINIONS it's beyond frustrating.

P.S. You'd have a difficult time accusing me of being hypocritical considering the largest and most active fish I've ever owned was a Flame Angel housed with 2 Ocellaris Clowns and a Firefish in a 90g aquarium. Admittedly, I'm rather conservative when it comes to stocking recommendations (i.e. I would NEVER own a Tang of any species).

And finally, sometimes it's important to engage in these heated debates on inflammatory topics - anyone who remembers the SANO wars on Aqualink thanks their lucky stars that there was so much controversy that led to debunking the myth surrounding the "snake oil."

Troy F
09-14-2002, 11:19 PM
I wish I had stumbled across the continuation of this thread before I saw you guys at the meeting today. I have a 29gal tank sitting here in front of me and I wouldn't even think of adding a surgeon to it. Personally, I'd have a tough time adding more than maybe a pair of clowns and a dart fish. That's my opinion. Those of you that have been in the hobby for a while should know better, those of you who haven't should learn from those that have already made the mistakes. Simple, don't you think? If you want to try bucking the system, go for it. It's your money and your conscience if things don't go well. I tend to side with Andrew on this one; Scott Michaels has a bit more weight in this argument than anyone, and his recommendations are on the low side for some fish, if you ask me (which you didn't). A bigger tank may not be the ocean boys, but it is bigger and bigger is better though maybe not best.

As for getting ticked off (you'll notice I said ticked and not p...ed), no problem but treat the person your talking to with respect whether you agree or not. Keep the language clean so your grandma can read it.

Mak
09-15-2002, 12:00 AM
Hmmm... maybe I could put 4 Regals in my 55 :rolleyes: . And let me guess, Diomedes is your roomate tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif . When's your book comin out?

[ 14 September 2002, 21:06: Message edited by: MAK ]

Troy F
09-15-2002, 12:53 AM
Mak, that post contributes nothing to the thread and is exactly what Doug was asking we not do. Diomedes is working on a biology degree at SFU and isn't an idiot. He just doesn't have the same opinion as you or me. Share your experience on the topic, that would be a contribution.

Mak
09-15-2002, 01:12 AM
Troy, I was not saying he was an Idiot(those are your words) or even refering to it smile.gif . They do seem to know quite a bit, but they are coming off as a couple of know it all's.

[ 15 September 2002, 23:15: Message edited by: MAK ]

EmilyB
09-15-2002, 01:20 AM
I keep tangs..I love tangs. Plan for over 100g by year 2 (if you have those baby tangs they need special nutrition) and then more (or a lot more depending on the species).

EmilyB
09-15-2002, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by stephane:

On the other hand I found that clown tang are realy big swimer and not very good in a tank even six foot long I have no other experience with other tang but I see a lot of very big naso look very hapy in tank similar as mine

This is my experience with tang I hope it will help<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I would never encourage anyone to purchase a clown tang without the capability of a huge tank or home for it eventually, and a lot of tang savvy.

I have kept mine for one year now. I had some support from others who have kept them sucessfully. Nutrition was extremely important in the juvenile stage, and Golden Pearls really made a significant difference, IMO.

Stripey Pants is reaching maturity, (he's gorgeous, I should try to pic him), needs caves and swim throughs, and exists otherwise peacefully with the other fish. He has yet to exhibit behavior that totally disturbed me (like the huge yellow tang and the kole in the 72g bolting and freaking which they have never done since moving to the 155g. These guys I've had almost four years)

He is the only fish that lets me pet him, because I insist he will only get nori that way. :D

I feel I can help provide nutritional info for tangs for the people who keep them. Many don't realize how great the demand for food is with these fish.

Delphinus
09-15-2002, 02:31 AM
Fantastic information here.

But it's a little unfocused. What does this have to do with a Prizm skimmer?

I wonder if there is cause to maybe break this thread into two different topics.

I was tempted to close this thread, but, maybe that is not the right decision. I just wonder though if we could start two new discussion topics.

Maybe not though. What do I know? Not very much.

[ 14 September 2002, 22:38: Message edited by: delphinus ]

EmilyB
09-15-2002, 02:42 AM
:D I saw you close it...hehehe

Ok, the prizm skimmer is a POS, not worth the gas money to go buy one. JMO of course. :D

[ 14 September 2002, 22:49: Message edited by: EmilyB ]

Aquattro
09-15-2002, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by EmilyB:

Ok, the prizm skimmer is a POS, not worth the gas money to go buy one. JMO of course. :D <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I would have to agree unless the load was very light. On the othr hand, I've seen a Prism Pro on a 135 and was realy impressed.

Deb....Stripey Pants???? tongue.gif

EmilyB
09-15-2002, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Reef_Raf:

Deb....Stripey Pants???? tongue.gif <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, I admit there would be confusion without the whole story, since fish don't have legs....

The name goes back to a truly insane striped cat my brother had...only it's legs were striped. It was an awesome cat. ;)

[ 14 September 2002, 23:30: Message edited by: EmilyB ]

titus
09-15-2002, 03:46 AM
Hello Guys,

Um... I have been sitting back to watch this thread, both because it's caught my eye since the first few (rather strong) replies and because the moderators have begun to jump in.

1) May I remind that this board, compared to some of the larger boards across the border, have been, and will be, rather friendly and focused. Afterall, that's what we bragg about here.

2) Keeping 1) in mind, may we extend a friendlier gesture to free speech on personal views, opinions, and information exchange. In other words, there is no need to get personal or picking specific personal matters into a post titled "Prizm Skimmer". If you feel that you are ticked and don't have any new things to contribute to the body of knowledge for other members to share, then maybe taking a look at your favorite tank inhabitant will bring back a smile on your face. :D And if you are really really ticked about something, you know how to find me and the very helpful and friendly moderators.

3) Also, there is no need to make any comments, when the thread is getting, or have already gotten (depending on your perspective and who you are), sensitive, that can be potentially catalytic. In other words, no need to insert jokes on specific person(s). Just like Troy says sometimes, don't say things that you wouldn't have said in front of the person face to face.

4) Tony, you were right in that it appears that another topic (Tang related) seemed to have spawned off this. Quite frankly, I'd say we should recommend members to continue on under a new topic of appropriate title. This is much much much easier for anyone to track, and avoid jumping back into the original Prizm Skimmer topic somehow and thus flip-flopping topics. So if you guys want to discuss Tang, like EmilyB and Stephane did, please start a new thread.

5) Finally, to state my personal views on the Prizm skimmers. I must say they look great, are quite intriguing and rather affordable, but in terms of performance maybe .... nah. Given that most people who buy these smaller mass marketed skimmers will either quit the hobby all together, or eventually upgraded to another skimmer, it's probably not worthwhile to use it. Unless of course for example you are very experienced in this hobby and just want to setup a small 20 - 30 gallon tank for your boyfriend or girlfriend or mom or grandpa, and know that you are the one maintaining the tank for them for years to come without much biological load or sensitive inhabitants, then by all means it's a good affordable little skimmer. Alternatively, let's put it into this perspective. I run an online store here and I know these skimmers sell. But I chose not to carry them. I think that's enough said.

Titus

Diomedes
09-15-2002, 04:02 AM
Hey guys, I am sorry for gettin a little ****ed off, its just that blind condemnation of anyone here for keeping fish the way they are just leads back to ourselves. If you really care about the fish, quit the hobby and boycott the trade. The trade kills more tangs every minute than any of us will see in our lives. I have to apologize to naesco and others for my angry remarks, but these boards have lost much interest for me simply because everyone is aggressively competing in a sense through their threads, and it is a rare person who sticks to constructive, positive sounding criticism. (I trust Doug, Troy, Kris etc - but not myself cause I get ****ed quick) Instead Reefers say "This is the way it is, and if you don't do it that way then you don't care about fish"...well I haven't used a skimmer on my systems for almost 3 years...does that mean that I don't care about water quality? No. It means I do things differently and believe differently. I also have a 3" Acanthurus leucosternon in my 40 gallon. But what you wouldn't know is that my 40gallon is 15 inches tall and has the footprint of a 60 gallon. Instead many would bitch me out, claiming some sort disregard on my part. I really care about fish, and I like other reefers. But man I feel for this guy who is gettin hounded by people who are no better than any of us. We are all guilty, we are all learning and trusting our own experience. Sorry for adding more negative.

Skimmerking
09-15-2002, 04:17 AM
Well I think ,That he has learnt his lesson on this. Really do we have to keep this up. THere is no best way to have a tang ,Like my Best buddy told me .DOUG LOWEY yes the MASTER of REEF
All salt water fish and corals with rock should be left alone..

SORRY HAVE TO VENT..... TIME TO GET A BIGGER TANK. going to need your vehicle soon DOUG......
to pick it up :D

sumpfinfishe
09-15-2002, 05:46 AM
Well it's sure nice to get all the feedback on my new prizm skimmer! You know "my post". So all I can do is listen to the negatives about my tank size and because I house a blue regal.I do however thank the few of you who gave me some real advice on my skimmer. Like I said before: I am aware that this fish will grow out of my tank, however some of you are not reading my replies or you would know that I have given my two year old regal to my roomie who has a 60gal. As for my other regal in my reef, it is about 8 or 9 months old and still very small at about 5 cm. This fish gets a full healthy diet of spirulina and brine daily as well as a nice crispy piece of romaine every other day. The tang also gets plenty of excercise by swimming into the current of my 402 that comes on 12 times daily. And when this fish wants to rest after a few laps it will hang out in its favorite crevice or munch on nori or lettuce. AND, when this tang reaches a size that is beyond my keeping, it will then be passed onto someone with a larger reef. However until that times comes when I will be providing someone with an adult tang that's captive raised rather than wild caught, I will continue to enjoy the beauty of this fish. My tang is happy and healthy otherwise I would see some signs of stress or malnourishment, not to mention a slow growth rate!
I do like to hear other reefers opinions, but I think some people are just a little to harsh, or they jump the gun before reading all the facts. I will end this thread now as it's just not going any place other than in circles. "Reef On", sumpfinfishe smile.gif

[ 17 September 2002, 20:14: Message edited by: sumpfinfishe ]

Doug
09-15-2002, 10:36 AM
If I may add something along Sumpfinfishie,s line, regarding baby regals.

First, understand my views on tangs. I love Andrews post. I have only a yellow in my 170 and gave my powder brown away, as I would not keep two in my tank.

Also I am no holier than though. Just trying to help with my experience. I have done in a few tangs many moons ago. Nobody explained anything to me.

Now back to baby regals. Sumpin, is correct in keeping the baby in a small tank. They are very easily damaged or hurt. Esp. if its a tank raised one. I recieved one for my 180. About the size of a quarter. The next day, it was stuck against the overflow, in the heavy current, dead. So there ya go.

Ryan7
09-16-2002, 01:20 AM
sumpfinfishe,

The only reason the size of your tank, and what fish you keep in it came up, was because you asked a question where this info. was needed. You should be happy that out of all these posts you got good advise on your skimmer, and even better advise on keeping tangs. Two birds killed with one stone, let's hope that you don't kill two fish with one small tank.

Diomedes,

It was said you were an educated person, but after reading your posts here, my thought is what kind of educated person expresses their views like you have done.

Regardless of how everone chooses to express themselves, educated or not. (the tang police) were formed and classified internally by members of all forums. This was because, all of their advise is generally the same, meaning they are experienced in the subject. Who cares how a tang acts in the wild if it acts completely different in captivity. Members like (the tang police) have knowledge on tangs in captivity, isn't that what people want to know.

I wish there was a (puffer police) to help me with the captive care of my favorite fish.