PDA

View Full Version : PH probe calibration question

Douglas
11-29-2013, 12:57 AM
I have a pH probe that came with my controller. It came with a "one time use" Ph callibration pouch, which i used to very first time.

I shut down for a while, and now i'm starting back up again. Is there a certain way to clean it first, and then re-calibrate it? I've seen several different types/levels of calibration fluids avalible. What is recomended? Can someone inform me on what to do?

sphelps
11-29-2013, 01:00 AM
Did you keep the probe end wet? If dried out, but new probe. Otherwise just buy new fluid and recalibrate. You can clean the probe with water and a toothbrush if needed.

Douglas
11-29-2013, 01:25 AM
The probe did dry out. Did not know i had to keep it wet. So, i guess a new probe may be nessesary. Are all brands of probes compatible with all controllers? Or do i need to buy the controller brand. And i've seen several levels of calibration fluids avalible.....Which one?

sphelps
11-29-2013, 01:32 AM
What kind of controller? Typically probes are compatible. I got a good deal on an Neptune probe (standard grade) so I use it with my profilux and it's fine.

Douglas
11-29-2013, 01:36 AM
I have a Digital Aquatic controller, and found the Ph probe handy to have.

sphelps
11-29-2013, 01:58 AM
Yeah so any probe with standard BNC connection, such as Digital Aquatics, Pinpoint, Neptune, ect. I'm not sure you'll notice much difference in accuracy between any of them, maybe on lab grade models. For fluid just get same brand as probe, you need a high and low. If your goal is to measure tank pH (~8) then you should buy 7.0 & 10.0. If your goal is measure reactor pH (~6.5) then by 4.0 & 7.0.

Make sense?

Madreefer
11-29-2013, 04:10 AM
If you go to a hydropnic store you can get ph probe cleaning kits fairly cheap. The calibration liquid is also very cheap compared to the LFS. You can get it in a bigger bottle rather than the one time use packets.

craigwmiller
11-29-2013, 06:03 AM
I'm currently running a probe from BRS and they matched the readings exactly from my Digital Aquatics probe. (sadly during a house/tank move my DA probe dried out, but the BRS one is still running strong).

Douglas
11-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the helpful info. Doug