PDA

View Full Version : how many went from led back to t5

wreck
11-28-2013, 01:56 PM
i was just curious how many people went to LED and then switched back to t5?

im currently running ai sol blues. and the color is ok, but my brothers tank light with t5 seems more eye appealing

Aquattro
11-28-2013, 02:03 PM
I found the same and went back to T5. Much happier with color. I think there are a couple of threads and a few polls with more details :)

reefwars
11-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Me too led are great but t5 was a better fit for what I wanted to do couldn't be happier :)

wreck
11-28-2013, 02:13 PM
thanks fellas, im goin to try and hunt those threads down.

which t5 fixtures are you guys using?

Aquattro
11-28-2013, 02:15 PM
which t5 fixtures are you guys using?

I use an ATI power module over my DT, and 2 Hagen 2 bulb fixtures over my frag tank. Happy with both.

wreck
11-28-2013, 02:19 PM
time for me to get shopping, wonder if there are any black friday sales on t5 haha

gqlmao
11-28-2013, 02:20 PM
I was a big advocate for LED lights when they came out, what was there not to like. Efficient, sleek and powerful par readings throughout all depths, and shimmer. However I am finding out that you either need to stack LED units to get proper coverage and to get good light to inaccessible areas (spot lighting). With the multi reflectors on the t-5s you won't have that issue. T-5s put out a nicer spectrum in my opinion however you will need to replace bulbs and lack of shimmer. I am on the ropes between the two. Do I find a second LED unit or complete switch to T-5.

Bulk reef supply has a good sale off their ati sunpower fixtures, a great fixture however it isn't dimmable,15 percent off! so now is the time to buy.

Aquattro
11-28-2013, 02:24 PM
time for me to get shopping, wonder if there are any black friday sales on t5 haha

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=102659&highlight=black+friday

maybe :)

Skimmerking
11-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Brad I didnt know that you went back to T-5's

Aquattro
11-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Brad I didn't know that you went back to T-5's

Yup, almost 2 months now. I miss the dimming features and shimmer, but happy with the color of the coral. Overall, an upgrade IMO.

kien
11-28-2013, 03:16 PM
:pop2:

Reef Pilot
11-28-2013, 03:20 PM
I don't want to change anyone's mind here, but I sure don't understand some of the comments about LEDs. I had T5s before, and couldn't imagine going back.

Re color with LEDs. I don't get it. With mine (Radions) I can choose whatever I want. They can be preprogramed on the computer, and then choose them with the touch of a button on the lights. I have blue, royal blue, red, green and white lights that I can tune the mix and intensities of each in a program. If I want the corals to glow, I can do that. I actually prefer the natural look, which is my default.

I do have a special program that only uses white light that I can use for taking coral pics, which then gets rid of that purple/blue effect without having to adjust the white balance. That takes the press of just one button on my lights.

I can even program the lights to be different in different regions of my tank. And there is a huge choice of programs you can import, too. Some claim superior growth. Some just for looks.

As for growth, my SPS is doing great. And I have great color, too.

I'm sure all LEDs are not equal, and maybe some people don't know how to program them. Perhaps that is the real issue.

With T5's, everything is manual, and you have to change bulbs to get the look you want. And you have to keep changing bulbs, over and over....

So, each to their own, I guess...

wreck
11-28-2013, 03:33 PM
I don't want to change anyone's mind here, but I sure don't understand some of the comments about LEDs. I had T5s before, and couldn't imagine going back.

Re color with LEDs. I don't get it. With mine (Radions) I can choose whatever I want. They can be preprogramed on the computer, and then choose them with the touch of a button on the lights. I have blue, royal blue, red, green and white lights that I can tune the mix and intensities of each in a program. If I want the corals to glow, I can do that. I actually prefer the natural look, which is my default.

I do have a special program that only uses white light that I can use for taking coral pics, which then gets rid of that purple/blue effect without having to adjust the white balance. That takes the press of just one button on my lights.

I can even program the lights to be different in different regions of my tank. And there is a huge choice of programs you can import, too. Some claim superior growth. Some just for looks.

I'm sure all LEDs are not equal, and maybe some people don't know how to program them. Perhaps that is the real issue.

With T5's, everything is manual, and you have to change bulbs to get the look you want. And you have to keep changing bulbs, over and over....

i hear ya, see that might be my difference is that, im using the ai sol blues ( b,rb,w) where u are using caddilacs compared to my fiat hahaha.

kien
11-28-2013, 03:35 PM
i hear ya, see that might be my difference is that, im using the ai sol blues ( b,rb,w) where u are using caddilacs compared to my fiat hahaha.

Our current TOTM is running AI Sol blues too, fyi. Just sayin' :biggrin:

wreck
11-28-2013, 03:40 PM

hmm that tank looks very nice, well s^&t must be my configuration.

thank kien!

Reef Pilot
11-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Yes, I have seen some AI lighted tanks, and didn't really like them. They have a lot of blue/purple and don't look very natural. And don't bring out the red and green as well. But that's just my personal opinion. I know others will differ.

Reef Pilot
11-28-2013, 03:42 PM

Yeah, but there is a lot more to his tank, than just the lights!!... You could put almost any lights over that one, and it would still be TOTM. I have seen it in person a few times, and no pics can do it justice.

Aquattro
11-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Yeah, but there is a lot more to his tank, than just the lights!!... You could put almost any lights over that one, and it would still be TOTM. I have seen it in person a few times, and no pics can do it justice.

However, and this is what got me going, his frag tank coral colors are much nicer than the DT. Running T5.

The problem is not tuning LED, or them not growing corals or providing really nice color, I just get nicer coral color from T5. Hardly noticeable, but to me, noticeable. The aesthetic look of the tank was also very pleasing with LED. But, with T5, I get all that plus another couple percentage points on SPS color scale. I've never claimed LED were not really good, just not really good enough for my SPS in my tank.

The Guy
11-28-2013, 04:00 PM

I agree Walter, I use AI's and get great coral color and when you can set the intensity for each channel during the day to evening is a total plus. I would never go back to t5's. But then again opinions are like
a------s everyone has one. :lol:

Aquattro
11-28-2013, 04:03 PM
I use AI's and get great coral color and when you can set the intensity for each channel during the day to evening is a total plus.

And that is the main thing I miss with T5, not having that control. However, with a bit of tweaking and LED supplementation, I think I can have the best of both.
For the money I spent (and lost), looking back I should have gone with the ATI hybrid. Or vented the house and stayed with MH :)

wreck
11-28-2013, 04:05 PM
I agree Walter, I use AI's and get great coral color and when you can set the intensity for each channel during the day to evening is a total plus. I would never go back to t5's. But then again opinions are like
a------s everyone has one. :lol:

clown lover , would u post your light settings?

kien
11-28-2013, 04:08 PM

I totally agree! And that was part of my point as well. If you take everything else out of the equation and just focus on the lights, the lights shouldn't be the issue here :-)

In the end beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I actually preferred the look of his corals in the DT over that of the frag tank. I know others (Brad) would differ.

reefwars
11-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Here we go its the but it works for me crowd

Maybe some of us want more then choosing color

I have over 100 different sps 50,lps and 150 Zoos and Ive personally warranty and take apart over 100 radions

I've owned all versions of them and yes they grow corals but so does everything else

Over 10yrs in the hobby dedicated to corals

Between work and home ive seen used Maxspect mazZeras and RAZORS kessils all sizes radioms all gens ghls and now the hybrids

Question how do you find the encrusting time on chalices?

How about growth on your deepwater sps colonies ?

What's your opinion on leds and fungus with zoanthids?

How about wild acropora fresh off the boat any advice?

I highly doubt its a inexperience thing more of a some of us want more than but my corals grow and color fine

Reef Pilot
11-28-2013, 04:16 PM
In the end beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I actually preferred the look of his corals in the DT over that of the frag tank. I know others (Brad) would differ.
You know, there is a lot more to that than meets the eye (haha, how is that for a pun). I have had people over looking at some of my different corals, and they couldn't tell the difference in colour between some, and to me they were totally different. And I don't think they were colour blind either.

So I guess all eyes are not created equal either.

darkreef
11-28-2013, 04:19 PM
Miss my t5s .. So many dark spots with led.

reefwars
11-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Its all about personal expectations what
one wants another wants different there is no right answer

Chevy or ford

Slyguy00
11-28-2013, 04:24 PM

+1
Leds are way better all around if you buy the good ones. If you cheap out it will show. Just my opinion

kien
11-28-2013, 04:24 PM
You know, there is a lot more to that than meets the eye (haha, how is that for a pun). I have had people over looking at some of my different corals, and they couldn't tell the difference in colour between some, and to me they were totally different. And I don't think they were colour blind either.

So I guess all eyes are not created equal either.

I think you're right. There are so many variables involved, our eyeballs being one of them. Our eyes are all different and they do not render light the same. Our brains process that light slightly differently from person to person. Some people see LEDs and they're like WHOA, that's so bright! Some people will look at the same light and say, WHOA, that's not very bright at all. Some people really like the look of the fiji purple T5 bulb and the colour it casts. Some people HATE it.

From all of these threads there are actually two discussions in one which is part of why we keep bouncing around like kids in a bouncy house. 1. Is the light adequate from a technical point of view (growth, colour of corals, controlability etc). 2. Does the light look good (colour cast, colour of corals, spread, spectrum, etc).

Madreefer
11-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Here we go its the but it works for me crowd

Maybe some of us want more then choosing color

I have over 100 different sps 50,lps and 150 Zoos and Ive personally warranty and take apart over 100 radions

I've owned all versions of them and yes they grow corals but so does everything else

Over 10yrs in the hobby dedicated to corals

Between work and home ive seen used Maxspect mazZeras and RAZORS kessils all sizes radioms all gens ghls and now the hybrids

Question how do you find the encrusting time on chalices?

How about growth on your deepwater sps colonies ?

I highly doubt its a inexperience thing more of a some of us want more than but my corals grow and color fine

POLL
POLL
POLL

Dez
11-28-2013, 04:27 PM

I run SOL blues too ;)

Reef Pilot
11-28-2013, 04:27 PM

Well, these can be a challenge with any lights.

Where I have seen a negative with LEDs is acclimatization with new corals, especially if they have come from T5 lighting, but even MH. LEDs seem to be harsh on them at the beginning, esp chalices. But what I found is that you have to give them a few months (ramping intensity up slowly), and then suddenly growth takes off, and I mean really takes off. That also goes for the deep water smoothies. Same with colour, can be bleached or brown at first, but then really changes later, and even much nicer than some of the original mother colonies. I have some corals (eg purple cross) that colour up much nicer in my tank, than with other lights.

thmh
11-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Led+T5 !!! Why not have both?:D

-Tony

wreck
11-28-2013, 04:31 PM
I run SOL blues too ;)

light settings? would u share them

Madreefer
11-28-2013, 04:35 PM
I also agree with other people on not getting the right look on colors and getting that pop out of your corals. I found that my reds really didnt show up at all and tried to find and tried different LEDs to supplement them. No luck until I added a couple of Hydras to the mix. I have 4 Sol Blues and 2 Hydras.

reefwars
11-28-2013, 04:47 PM
I can't wait months though I don't have the real estate to house Frags for months on end at $50-200 a polyp or inch trial and error isn't a.luxury I can afford

T5 has its issues as well I'm not saying t5 fixes all these but from a propogation point of view its a easier start

Halides are good to but at 12" for height on my coral beds was not rally a good choice

Leds are great seen some incredible tanks that are no doubt top notch

Doug
11-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Led+T5 !!! Why not have both?:D

-Tony

$$$$$$$$$$$

Great thread though. Love it, again...:lol:

reefwars
11-28-2013, 04:49 PM
POLL
POLL
POLL

That's Brads turf lol

thmh
11-28-2013, 04:52 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$

But reefing is an expensive hobby so what's new? Plus led+t5 is not that expensive .... Depending on what your goal is and what your comparing it to.

-Tony

reefwars
11-28-2013, 04:54 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$

Why I didn't buy one too much money now that I've seen them I then I do think IRS worth it but have no experimenting with them and hard to keep corals in time I guess

Dez
11-28-2013, 04:56 PM
light settings? would u share them

W75% B66% R75% with a 2 1/2 hr ramp period from 9:30am - 8pm with a 4 hr ramp down period down to R2% for moonlighting.

Dearth
11-28-2013, 04:56 PM
I run T5s on my big tank but given the option I would much rather run LEDs just because I can get the colour spectrum I want. Many will argue you can do that with T5s as well and I have no doubt you can but I just like the look of LEDs on the water column that you just can't get with T5s or MH

wreck
11-28-2013, 05:01 PM
W75% B66% R75% with a 2 1/2 hr ramp period from 9:30am - 8pm with a 4 hr ramp down period down to R2% for moonlighting.

tyvm!!

mrhasan
11-28-2013, 05:09 PM
:behindsofa:

Doug
11-28-2013, 05:14 PM
:behindsofa:

:lol:

They have me looking at $1500 combos now...........:fear:

kien
11-28-2013, 05:15 PM
:lol:

They have me looking at $1500 combos now...........:fear:

once you go combo, you'll never go back!

..until you go back, like everyone else.

asylumdown
11-28-2013, 05:28 PM

I've got a few wild acropora colonies under my radions, it took them the better part of a year to a) decide what colour they were going to be and b) start growing. It might be true that the acclimation period under different lights would be shorter, but all my wild colonies are doing well and quite surprisingly beautiful now.

I would agree that one of the secrets of success is more fixtures per area than might be recommended, but when you're talking about a 900-1200 fixture that gets pricey fast.

I'll also say that under my radions, entire clades of LPS bleach to death and I don't even bother with things like chalices anymore. I'm sure I could adjust the program for them specifically, as under a kessil (which had no red, no green, and a different ratio of white to blue) they recover beautifully - so it's not LEDs per se, but it makes me sad when I see T5 or halide lit tanks that are growing baller SPS right next to beautiful, shimmering open brains and crazy rainbow chalices. I feel like with the radions I'm having to make a choice between one kind of coral over another.

My next set of lights will probably be the ATI hybrid fixture unless something awesome sauce happens in the LED world before then.

I keep wondering where Ecotech is going to go with the radion, obviously the radion pro won't be the last iteration, but while it was pretty obvious that they were going to come out with a fixture with UV, I'm not sure where they can go now.

reefwars
11-28-2013, 05:38 PM
A year is a long time

I get it though radions grow corals I think I mentioned that ;)

Its the trial and error I can't spare I'd prefer to just go with a more forgiveibg fixture

Did I mention I've owned all Gens of radions great.fixtures just not for what I do others will say it is;)

asylumdown
11-28-2013, 05:43 PM
haha, yah, if it came off like I was saying it was a good thing that it took a year I didn't type it right. All my corals go through a tantrum under the radions for at least a few months. They ultimately end up growing, but part of me wonders what my tank would look like if there hadn't been months to a year of suspended animation on so many of my colonies.

Also, I realized last weekend that on two of my fixtures, the white channel had burnt out completely on half of the fixture. Trying to get in touch with Ecotech to figure out how to fix it because they're well out of warranty. I'm not thrilled about that. 50,000 hours my rear end.

MarkoD
11-28-2013, 10:04 PM
I think it's impossible to come to a conclusion on this topic. No 2 tanks are exactly the same.

Some will have success with something, while others won't.

kien
11-28-2013, 10:10 PM
I think it's impossible to come to a conclusion on this topic.

Which is why it's so much fun to fake-debate. We all have the answer, except that there is no right answer.

Doug
11-28-2013, 10:14 PM
But reefing is an expensive hobby so what's new? Plus led+t5 is not that expensive .... Depending on what your goal is and what your comparing it to.

-Tony

I know Tony. I have almost 2g into my Lifereef sump.skimmer.refuge .reactor and have almost the full Apex coming. I look at my account and hide.

But I remember on my 225, I had around $1500 in for 3 400w Radiums, 3 Sunlight Supply pulse start ballasts and vho actinics.

MarkoD
11-28-2013, 10:45 PM
Which is why it's so much fun to fake-debate. We all have the answer, except that there is no right answer.

The answer is if you took a piece of translucent material and put it between LEDs and the tank, you'd basically get the effect of t5s. Even lighting with no shimmer.

There is no magic radiation that comes out of a t5 light that makes things grow/ color better.

sphelps
11-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Maybe it was just me but when I had T5s it was never the cost of regular maintenance bulb changes but the cost of bulb changes is general not to mention the hassle that came with it.

Pretty sure I bought like 15 bulbs to begin with before I found the color combo I liked then a few months down the road I notice one new frag doesn't look as good as it did from the source so a few emails transition to the thought of configuring my bulb combo again. Then when it's all sorted a bulb burns out prematurely which can be an interesting adventure on it's own as any other bulbs on the same ballast won't light up either so which bulb is it? But ok no big deal except nobody has that same bulb right now but here's one that's really similar but different enough to through everything off again but with some work eventually it get's sorted out. Then you read several threads about other bulb combos and it's get you thinking again but not before one of your end caps melts due to humidity because manufactures feel an acrylic shield prevents the need for waterproof endcaps... Then you have a bulb with burnt ends that probably shouldn't be used but you figure best keep it anyway so you put it with you now growing collection of bulbs that now needs it's own separate storage room, in the mix is new unused and old bulbs because you never know if you'll need them plus kinda hard to dispose of as well. Eventually you loose track of what's new and what's kinda used or really used...

This continues for as long as you keep T5s, not to mention how difficult bulb changes can sometimes be or when you need access to the tank the monstrosity above it can a bit of an obstetrical. Now with LEDs its totally different but I digress...

reefwars
11-28-2013, 11:02 PM
Maybe it was just me but when I had T5s it was never the cost of regular maintenance bulb changes but the cost of bulb changes is general not to mention the hassle that came with it.

Pretty sure I bought like 15 bulbs to begin with before I found the color combo I liked then a few months down the road I notice one new frag doesn't look as good as it did from the source so a few emails transition to the thought of configuring my bulb combo again. Then when it's all sorted a bulb burns out prematurely which can be an interesting adventure on it's own as any other bulbs on the same ballast won't light up either so which bulb is it? But ok no big deal except nobody has that same bulb right now but here's one that's really similar but different enough to through everything off again but with some work eventually it get's sorted out. Then you read several threads about other bulb combos and it's get you thinking again but not before one of your end caps melts due to humidity because manufactures feel an acrylic shield prevents the need for waterproof endcaps... Then you have a bulb with burnt ends that probably shouldn't be used but you figure best keep it anyway so you put it with you now growing collection of bulbs that now needs it's own separate storage room, in the mix is new unused and old bulbs because you never know if you'll need them plus kinda hard to dispose of as well. Eventually you loose track of what's new and what's kinda used or really used...

This continues for as long as you keep T5s, not to mention how difficult bulb changes can sometimes be or when you need access to the tank the monstrosity above it can a bit of an obstetrical. Now with LEDs its totally different but I digress...

Yeah I agree there's alot of trial and error for bulb plus changing them is
A pita twisting 5ft 1/2" bulb lol

Also their stuck to one size tank most times

reefwars
11-28-2013, 11:06 PM
haha, yah, if it came off like I was saying it was a good thing that it took a year I didn't type it right. All my corals go through a tantrum under the radions for at least a few months. They ultimately end up growing, but part of me wonders what my tank would look like if there hadn't been months to a year of suspended animation on so many of my colonies.

Also, I realized last weekend that on two of my fixtures, the white channel had burnt out completely on half of the fixture. Trying to get in touch with Ecotech to figure out how to fix it because they're well out of warranty. I'm not thrilled about that. 50,000 hours my rear end.

If you end up stuck bring it to me at concept and ill see if I can help you out:)

Delphinus
11-28-2013, 11:57 PM
I always liked the look of tanks with t5's.

Like sphelps hinted at though (at least I think he was going there) for me the push away from t5's is really the changeout schedule. I seem to recall that you can push their lifespan up a little with active cooling but I don't think a lot of units offer that (plus the downside of white noise from the fans) which means they start needing replacements at around 8 months. I use t5's for supplementing and I notice a falloff in intensity visible to human eyes by around 2 months. Then of course by 8 months you should be staggering the changeout so as not to shock the system by changing them all out at once. When I look at these new ATI units, I like the sleekness of them and the promise they offer but a part of me is thinking "wow that is a lot of t5's". Not that each lamp is expensive on its own but when you look at 8+ of them every 8 months it's going to be noticeable. Plus I seem to recall SOMEBODY continually promising to order the t5's I needed and then week after week after week it would be all the same story "sorry buddy, didn't order them yet, but for sure next week."

I still use t'5s but for supplementing, for my 30" deep tank though I think I'd go back to halides before I'd go all t5's instead of the LED's on there now. But I hope to get a frag tank online and planning on using all t5's for that..

wreck
11-29-2013, 12:23 AM
Well sorry if this question has been beat to death before . I hadnt seen a thread on this (shoukd have used the search function). Of course there is no right or wrong answer. I just was curious how many people had switched back...

kien
11-29-2013, 12:26 AM
I just was curious how many people had switched back...

Sounds like this thread could have used a poll...

waynemah
11-29-2013, 12:34 AM
Going from LED to T5 point form...

Heaters don't turn on nearly as much anymore, so my power consumption actually dropped. Hydras (570w) vs T5 (640w). Power supplies for the Hydras still pull energy when the light is off and I ran them for a much longer photoperiod.

I'm unable to change the temperature of my tank though, it's set at 27C during the day and 26C at night.

Tank is much brighter now and less dead spots. I should have purchased more LED's for my tank in the first place.

Shimmer is gone, to me this is a bonus as it gave me a headache before.

Bulb replacements are paid for with the additional growth. I'm planning on extending the bulb replacement time to 12 months.

Corals seem to look different... Some look better, some look worse. Mainly anything that has multi-color seems more pronounced, but greens look bland now.

PH somehow is in normal range now, this could be due to tank maturity but only happened after the switch. From 7.9-8.0 to 8.2-8.5.

Crazy difference in evaporation... It literally doubled. Not very happy about this, but enclosing the upper portion and having the fan run 24/7 seems to keep the humidity at bay.

No more confusing programming light cycles.

Bulb choices are borderline infinite. Luckily I'm happy with my first bulb choice based on many peoples experience.

No more epic Blue time, where the corals pop and everything looks from outer space... lol

Burnt myself a few times reaching in to save a frag... Once on the forehead ouch.

Samw
11-29-2013, 05:03 AM
I've been running a 36" 5-bulb T5HO fixture for about 3 years and have not been able to get the same success as I had before with my MH. It has been a disaster.

My T5-only trial is over. It'll be up for salel soon. I just received my 2 new Ecoxotic Panorama Marine fixtures and they look really nice and bright. I will add a 2-bulb T5HO fixture to complement the 2 new LED fixtures.

LoJack
11-29-2013, 05:32 AM
Going from LED to T5 point form...

Heaters don't turn on nearly as much anymore, so my power consumption actually dropped. Hydras (570w) vs T5 (640w). Power supplies for the Hydras still pull energy when the light is off and I ran them for a much longer photoperiod.

I'm unable to change the temperature of my tank though, it's set at 27C during the day and 26C at night.

Tank is much brighter now and less dead spots. I should have purchased more LED's for my tank in the first place.

Shimmer is gone, to me this is a bonus as it gave me a headache before.

Bulb replacements are paid for with the additional growth. I'm planning on extending the bulb replacement time to 12 months.

Corals seem to look different... Some look better, some look worse. Mainly anything that has multi-color seems more pronounced, but greens look bland now.

PH somehow is in normal range now, this could be due to tank maturity but only happened after the switch. From 7.9-8.0 to 8.2-8.5.

Crazy difference in evaporation... It literally doubled. Not very happy about this, but enclosing the upper portion and having the fan run 24/7 seems to keep the humidity at bay.

No more confusing programming light cycles.

Bulb choices are borderline infinite. Luckily I'm happy with my first bulb choice based on many peoples experience.

No more epic Blue time, where the corals pop and everything looks from outer space... lol

Burnt myself a few times reaching in to save a frag... Once on the forehead ouch.

+1 for me

The biggest improvements getting away from LED for me were the lack of shadows in the tank from non point source lighting.

The disco ball effect is gone thankfully

Everything is easier to photograph in my tank without the LED oversaturation/underexposure effect on cameras

The look to the naked eye is so much more appealing now, crisp and even lighting.

I've noticed a few cons though as well.

Evaporation for sure, and tied to that temperature. Tank used to sit at 78 consistently, I'm up a whole degree with the T5's, but I also run an enclosed canopy.

Kwood
11-29-2013, 05:55 AM
But WHAT IF the grass really IS greener on the other side? Well, time to switch to solar tubes :twised: ... Ya, bet you didn't see that coming.

asylumdown
11-29-2013, 05:59 AM
But WHAT IF the grass really IS greener on the other side? Well, time to switch to solar tubes :twised: ... Ya, bet you didn't see that coming.

Haha, in Toronto? You'd need to put your solar tube on a track like they use in an observatory to keep it pointed directly at the sun all year!

Kwood
11-29-2013, 06:26 AM
Id still be coming in at under 100w. And dont even get me started on bulb changes... Do you know how hard it is to find quality replacement suns these days? sheesh, its hard out here for a pimp

Doug
04-30-2014, 01:40 AM
Im starting to think "some" of the back to T5,s from led opinions are correct. Although I love my led fixture, as some have said, it seems my colours are lacking.

My blues are very nice and greens. Strawberry, purple and some mixed colour sps not so much and several are almost no colour. All my chalice, all kinds of colour are great at the tanks bottom. My blue crocea,s are not as deep anymore.

And in my case, I overfeed my tank. Using prodibio but still have some of that &@#$^**(( red carpet crap starting to grow.

So I found myself looking at 6 bulb Sunpowers today.....:lol:

Aquattro
04-30-2014, 02:44 AM
Welcome back Doug! Maybe I should start a new thread about the MH ballasts I just bought -lol

spit.fire
04-30-2014, 02:59 AM
I went from halide to led to halide t5 combo to led to led t5 combo

Doug
04-30-2014, 03:00 AM
Welcome back Doug! Maybe I should start a new thread about the MH ballasts I just bought -lol

:mrgreen:

cblair
04-30-2014, 05:19 AM
Im another LED user who switched back to t5 about a year ago. Im actually considering using my ati sunpower on a frag tank im going to setup and going back to metal halide on my display. I have an old pfo m80 ballast so if i can find a used pfo se pendant i will be using a radium bulb. So if anyone knows anyone with a pfo pendant lying around...m:biggrin:

Aquattro
04-30-2014, 05:26 AM
So if anyone knows anyone with a pfo pendant lying around...m:biggrin:

I think I do. Let me check. Might not be PFO, but similar design that has wiring for PFO ballast.

freeze
04-30-2014, 06:05 AM
I switched on my little 25 gallon cube. Had a sol super blue and it did okay, zoas grew, and stuff did stuff.

Changed over to a 4 bulb T5 setup and everything just exploded. Zoa colonies that were sprouting one polyp a month had 3 new buds in a week.

Now it could have been my ignorance about led's, not saying I had it tuned perfect or blah blah blah, but it's just easier. Lights come on, lights go off, constant light and spectrum all over the tank. No percentages or ramping. It almost took the fun out of it tinkering with the led's.
To add some pop and a little shimmer I still have some royal blues but glad I switched. Just easier.

kien
04-30-2014, 06:22 AM

oh geez, I just can't keep up with you guys!! Wait, I'm still on MH, so does that mean I'm caught up now ??

mike31154
04-30-2014, 04:57 PM
Not me.

Masonjames
05-01-2014, 07:00 PM

I don't have an opinion but now I'm curious if I should have. Can ya go a little deeper on this one Denny? Interested to hear your take.

neoh
05-01-2014, 08:09 PM
I run a Vertex Illumina SR260 48" over a 72" tank at the moment. I get great spread despite the size over the tank, very few dark spots, and the shimmer is perfect.

Though looking at my tank when it had T5's over it, to the eye - it definitely seems more pleasing. I've currently got them set to 25W/80B/80RB over 12 hours with a 2 hour ramp up/down.

The only down side to all of this, is I've had really painfully slow growth across the board. SPS? Forget about it.. and some corals completely hate it. I've had a wall hammer for 4 months that has yet to open. It's not dying, but it sure as hell isn't doing anything, despite it's placement. It still hasn't acclimated to the LED's it seems.

I think the way to go these days is an LED/T5 combo! Best of both worlds.

harlequin01
05-04-2014, 04:00 PM
I had an evergrow led on my 40 gal but switched back to T5 and loved the depth of colors and brightness. I used only actinic blue and fiji pinks on my 4 bulb T5

nrosdal
05-05-2014, 03:54 AM
i went from mh to led and couldn't be happier. Never used t5 but have seen friends add t5s to existing leds to fill gaps in spectrum with positive results.

Ram3500
05-05-2014, 04:43 AM
I went from t5 five bulb to mh to LEDs . I was happy with the mh but I hated the issues with trying to keep the tank cool. I now run two Kessil a360w it's been three months and I couldn't be happier. My sps growth hasn't slowed I feel that it may have even increase . The versatility is amazing I love being able to change the look through out the day. The best part about the Kessil is no disco ball . I like the look of t5 but I like the look of a open top better and shimmer is a must for me .

Aquattro
05-05-2014, 04:59 AM
I'm planning my MH upgrade already :)

Ram3500
05-05-2014, 05:02 AM
I love mh they are sweet it was a hard change for me . I haven't sold the yet

nrosdal
05-05-2014, 05:15 AM
I'm planning my MH upgrade already :)

haha, big plans Brad? send me your dimensions and i will help you choose something that will keep those coarls growing :)

Aquattro
05-05-2014, 12:30 PM
haha, big plans Brad? send me your dimensions and i will help you choose something that will keep those coarls growing :)

I already have all the parts, just need to figure out how best to install it. I gave my canopy away last year. sigh...

Jaws
05-05-2014, 03:50 PM
I already have all the parts, just need to figure out how best to install it. I gave my canopy away last year. sigh...

Make sure you keep a drill by your front door in case you need to drill out that rusty lock again. ;)

Aquattro
05-05-2014, 03:56 PM
Make sure you keep a drill by your front door in case you need to drill out that rusty lock again. ;)

It's all about priorities :)

reefwars
05-05-2014, 04:08 PM
I read once about a guy who supplemented halides with t5's ....that's just crazy :pp

reefwars
05-05-2014, 04:14 PM
Oh and I'm.still loving my t5's not regretting going back at all :)

I would l d do halides but heats an issues for me I'm sure I can get around like before but for now t5 is doing amazing for my systems:)

I think we need a show off your t5s thread or at least a salt poll on this:)

Aquattro
05-05-2014, 05:14 PM
I read once about a guy who supplemented halides with t5's ....that's just crazy :pp

That's crazy!! But it just might work! I'll try it