PDA

View Full Version : 10K or 16K Maxspect LED lights, which would you buy?

Trigger Man
11-28-2013, 02:23 AM
Hi guys,
I'm deciding on whether to buy the 2- 27 inch Maxspect 10k or 16k LED lights. Which would you prefer if it was you? I liked the coloring of my old tank with my T5's but it was closer to a 12k spectrum. I liked the White with a little blue tint. My worry with the 16k is that they may look to blue, when I like the natural sunlight look. What do you guys think?

baker_jeff
11-28-2013, 02:27 AM
I have the 16,000 27" x 2, you can turn the blue down to 0% if you wish. I like it white more than blue, so I have the white at 70-90% and the blue at only 40%, just enough to make the corals and fish pop but still look like natural daylight.

Trigger Man
11-28-2013, 07:17 PM
Thanks Baker, anyone else have any opinions on this matter?

kien
11-28-2013, 07:42 PM
My worry with the 16k is that they may look to blue, when I like the natural sunlight look. What do you guys think?

If you like the more natural sunlight look as you say, then that's a no brainer, 10K. 16K will definitely not be a natural sunlight look :-)

But if you were to ask me which I would get, the answer would be the 16K because I do not like the natural sunlight look.

NickC
11-28-2013, 08:50 PM
Get a better light. I have the razor 16k 160w and have one of the malfunctioning units that starting to melt. I'm getting pretty ticked off at their customer service and warranty handling. I'm now waiting on more than a week for parts to fix this and have very little correspondence from both the LFS I bought it from and maxspect. Been waiting now over a week for parts which were supposed to take a day to receive. I understand mail can be a bit slow, but why tell a customer it will take a day and now its 8 days later and I've still had no more updates from anyone.
Just my 2 cents.

wreck
11-28-2013, 08:56 PM
dude thats crazy

Koleswrath
11-29-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm pretty happy with my 16k. I would try to get something at a color you like running relatively equal white/blue settings. If you adjust the blue down too much on the 16k it gets a little purple (from the red spectrum in the warm whites).

Skimmer Juice
11-29-2013, 06:57 PM
Im actually loving my maxspect , I went with the 16k fixture as I prefer a more blue look in my tank (no sps) but if I want to I can turn the white up and the blue down and it looks Just like my t5 fixtures on my other tank. So I think you could do a 16k and still be happy. Also as for the guy with the broken light, just because one broke does not mean its a crap light. Have been running mine for a few months now without any issue. Originally I was going with either the radion or the maxspect razor , went with the razor mostly because it came with mounting harware wich is nice , also there is a lfs here the owner was using 1 radion and 1 razor on the same tank and I prefered the look of the razor and the fixture is alot better looking IMO.

spit.fire
11-29-2013, 07:20 PM
IMO go 16k, If you think it has too much blue then turn the blue channel down a touch

Personally running 100% on both channels I find myself wanting more blue

Slyguy00
11-29-2013, 07:23 PM
I love my razor and would reccomend it to anybody. I dont understand people saying things about it being to blue or whatever since it is adjustable and you can make it whatever shade you want. If its to blue, turn up the white or down the blue. Pretty straight forward. Anywayz i have the 16,000 and i love it.

Sig
01-06-2014, 12:38 PM
I had it for a few weeks, but sold it. The disco effect made me (as many others) crazy. Otherwise light is not bad. I am planing to get Hydra now, since they have frosted glass to reduce disco effect. 16K is way to go

DomG
03-03-2014, 02:54 AM
This thread is just what I was looking for, im setting up my first reef tank and have decided to go with the 300W R420R Razor LED 43.5 inch. Will this be the only light I will need? I wont have any hard corals just easy stuff to start with.

Madreefer
03-03-2014, 02:59 AM
Ahhh get both

425nm
03-03-2014, 03:02 AM
Does no one else think the 10K model looks really purple relative to the 16K?

Sig
03-03-2014, 12:39 PM
I wont have any hard corals just easy stuff to start with.

everybody says the same when they start this hobby:biggrin:. just in a few months your tank will be full

DomG
03-04-2014, 04:31 AM
Sig do you think the one light we be fine or would I have to supplement another light strip later? I was thinking if needed I could add 2 of the kessel spots.

Spyd
03-04-2014, 02:35 PM
I ran a 16k for a while and ended up selling it off. I didn't like the look of it. There was way too much disco ball effect going on in my tank. I had a hard time looking at it, it was that bad.

One other issue I had was the built in timer. Here in Ontario we have these stupid smart meters so I like to have my lights run longer at night on non-peak hours. The timers do not run past midnight which was definitely the deal breaker for me.

DomG
03-04-2014, 03:24 PM
I saw this light on a few tanks and I didn't see much shimmer in the water but I guess the more agitation the more shimmer you will see. They looked very white so I would assume they have turned down the blue tones. That's unfortunate to hear about the timer will this light run moon light effects all night?

spit.fire
03-04-2014, 05:52 PM
I ran mine from 8pm - 4am....

Slyguy00
03-04-2014, 06:53 PM
One other issue I had was the built in timer. Here in Ontario we have these stupid smart meters so I like to have my lights run longer at night on non-peak hours. The timers do not run past midnight which was definitely the deal breaker for me.

Not sure what was wrong with yours but they are 24 hour programable. If you couldnt run yours past midnight it was broken. And if you think the razor is bad for strobe effect try a hydra. They are really hard to look at during the day

spit.fire
03-04-2014, 09:06 PM
you're doing it wrong...

plain and simple

:razz:

Madreefer
03-05-2014, 01:25 AM
And if you think the razor is bad for strobe effect try a hydra. They are really hard to look at during the day

Whats a strobe effect? I have Hydras and can stare at my tank all day.

Slyguy00
03-05-2014, 01:31 AM
I suppose it depends on the surface current like stated before, but my gf has a hydra and it has some serious disco effect going on. Not to say they arnt great lights. Just have alot of shimmer.