PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer overflow incident questions

IanWR
11-28-2013, 02:03 AM
Hi all,

I came home tonight to find my curve 7 skimmer overflowing like a fountain. I have 2 main questions:

1) What should be done when this happens? I turned off the skimmer, cleaned whatever glop I could find, changed filter socks, added a bag of carbon, did a 10% wc. Then I tuned the skimmer's air intake to wide open, turned it on and collected about a liter of water from the cup (it always goes nuts when I add new socks) until it calmed down. Everyone in the tank seems ok, corals have their polyps out so assume nothing catastrophic has happened. Did I miss some crucial step?

2) What can cause a skimmer to go out of sorts like this? My guesses would be something dieing (did a head count, everyone seems present and accounted for), something spawning (can't imagine what I have that might have done so, but maybe?), or just something random that happens now and then. Is there something I am doing and/or not doing that I can change to help this not happen again?

Thanks in advance!

- Ian

Craigdillman
11-28-2013, 02:39 AM
Isn't really a big deal when it happens cause its just like it not running basically for that time. Sometimes mine goes crazy when i change the filter socks to new ones.

Any chance you bumped the gate value ?

I would just reset it and it will start pulling crap out again

kien
11-28-2013, 02:41 AM
This is a very common occurance as a result of residue in the filter socks. I've had this happen many times for this reason. How do you wash your filter socks? I stopped using filter socks myself.

If this happens the only thing you can do really is to dial down the water level in your skimmer (every time you install a new sock). If you continue to wash your socks in the washing machine (or even by hand) consider doing an extra heavy rinse cycle. Even if all you do is wash the socks alone, sometimes the vessel you wash them in has residual residue that can transfer to the socks.

Aside from filter socks, other things that can cause your skimmer to go nuts are: change in water level in the sumps skimmer section, chemicals introduced into the tank (medications, additives, epoxy, etc).

RSM
11-28-2013, 02:44 AM
This happens to me also, I find the air tube gets clogged every time. Almost had my whole tank crash because the water splashed and tripped the GFI. Must clean the air intake tube!

xenon
11-28-2013, 02:48 AM
Its common for filter socks made from felt but it does not happen with the mesh filter socks.

Once you go mesh, you never go back. :D

Craigdillman
11-28-2013, 02:49 AM
Where have you got the mesh ones i can't find them anywhere

spit.fire
11-28-2013, 02:49 AM
I put a float switch in my skimmer to cut the power if the cup is full

IanWR
11-28-2013, 03:18 AM
Thanks for reassuring me that disaster has not struck. I suppose I'd rather over react than under react. :)

I am familiar with the initial skimmer freak out with new socks, but I had last changed them on Monday. I also hadn't added any new stock, meds, etc, just food like normal. My takeaway on this is to keep my skimmer a little cleaner so that in the event of an overflow there will be a limited amount of crud getting into the tank.

My skimmer is in a chamber with baffles so the water level doesnt change.

I'll do a complete clean on the skimmer tomorrow and will definitely check the air intake, thanks for the pointer.

I can really see the advantage of a float switch, or a water sensor or what have you. If I end up getting a controller that will be something I'll add.

As for the socks, I have both felt and mesh. So far I agree that the mesh are significantly easier to clean. They also fit my sock holders better. I bought a pair of the vertex 300m from j&l, will be ordering some more.

Thanks all!

Doug
11-28-2013, 03:21 AM
I put a float switch in my skimmer to cut the power if the cup is full

Great idea. I think my new Lifereef has a recirc overflow feature to prevent it but I still like the float switch.

Plus no more socks. None in my new sump.

xenon
11-28-2013, 03:53 AM
Where have you got the mesh ones i can't find them anywhere

We sell them in our retail store.

One of these days, we will get them up on our website.

I will put it on my to-do list. :lol:

mrhasan
11-28-2013, 04:26 AM
Thanks for reassuring me that disaster has not struck. I suppose I'd rather over react than under react. :)

If you do that, you would be leaving this hobby soon :lol: Skimmer overflow is possibly one of the most common thing to happen in the hobby (besides ich, dead fishes, RTN, etc.). I promised myself that I won't be feeding my corals ever with any sort of micro particular foods. And I don't use filter socks. Oh and never use epoxy! ;)