PDA

View Full Version : Redo of bulkheads

Doug
11-26-2013, 01:36 AM
How hard is it to clean the silicone and replace bulkheads?

kien
11-26-2013, 01:38 AM
If they are siliconed into the tank then that's going to take some serious elbow greese to unscrew. Once/if you manage to unscrew them, replacing them should be as easy as going to the store and buying a new one :-)

.. oh, and a bit of scraping of the old silicone which is fairly easy too. I would not reuse the old bulkheads myself.

eli@fijireefrock.com
11-26-2013, 01:39 AM
You should never have silicone around the bulkhead...but as soon as the bulkhead is removed the silicone should be easily pealed off.As for the bulkhead and the rubber ring its best to clean in vinegar bath prior to reusing.

Doug
11-26-2013, 01:48 AM
If they are siliconed into the tank then that's going to take some serious elbow greese to unscrew.

Yes they are siliconed. Not sure how much on their two but covered in black.

You should never have silicone around the bulkhead...but as soon as the bulkhead is removed the silicone should be easily pealed off.As for the bulkhead and the rubber ring its best to clean in vinegar bath prior to reusing.

Eli, I always silicone the nut side and I do put a seal around the gasket after installed, just to protect the gasket. I dont trust their seals with no silicone.

Anyways, they are. :smile: :smile: I dont care about their two. They going in the garbage and replacing with the correct white pvc models, so I can plump my drains correct. The new one I drilled in the back will stay, as its done right....................................cause I did it. :mrgreen:

Do you guys clean with vinegar after blading the silicone off?

The hardest part will be cleaning my overflow glass, unless I chuck it to and get new.

kien
11-26-2013, 01:53 AM
Do you guys clean with vinegar after blading the silicone off?

The hardest part will be cleaning my overflow glass, unless I chuck it to and get new.

Do you mean cleaning the glass? Ya, I clean with a bit of acetate, water, vineager, lather, rinse, repeat.

Skimmerking
11-26-2013, 02:05 AM
Doug do I need to come up there and help plumb that tank of yours:mrgreen:

Doug
11-26-2013, 02:08 AM
Do you mean cleaning the glass? Ya, I clean with a bit of acetate, water, vineager, lather, rinse, repeat.

Ok Thanks

Doug do I need to come up there and help plumb that tank of yours:mrgreen:

No, as usual I screwed it up already..:lol:

Doug
11-26-2013, 02:20 AM
Ummmmm, if you remember Mike, Im not too good at getting the glass to separate with a blade.

However, ..............I did manage to get a couple of fingers to open up a bit.....................:shocked!:

Doug
11-26-2013, 04:18 AM
Ha. Everything is removed. Fingers bandaged. Lots of scraping and cleaning now.

Doug
11-26-2013, 11:19 PM
So Im shopping this morning and get the finger that I sliced last night in the holes in the cart, bent it and yay, bleeding again. What a klutz.