PDA

View Full Version : Whats the easiest Anthias to keep

Basile
11-25-2013, 07:47 PM
Ok i'm setting up my 150 G reef tank, i'll have a school of 7 chromis, one yellow tank, 2 picasso clown and their anemone, a mandarin later on, and i want a school if possible of 5 Anthias . o what are the easiest for that. Mainly to keep. ome are easier than others, to feed , some are easier to keep alive , some school some don't as long as they eat. My favorite in terms of coloring is the Bartlett , along with the blue-green Chromis the contrast would be phenomenal in the tank. Anyway whats your take on those guys, thanks for your input.

So the questions are;

Which you find the easiest species?
How often you feed them
Do they school or shoal?

LoJack
11-25-2013, 07:50 PM
IMO Lyretails are the easiest to get eating and if you have 5+ they don't seem to have enough aggression to cause issues.

I've only got experience with Sunburst, Squarespot, and Lyretails though … but Lyretails are the most forgiving in my experience

DAVE
11-25-2013, 07:53 PM
IMO Lyretails are the easiest to get eating and if you have 5+ they don't seem to have enough aggression to cause issues.

I've only got experience with Sunburst, Squarespot, and Lyretails though … but Lyretails are the most forgiving in my experience

+1 to this. I have had all of the above plus Borbonius and Bartletts.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-25-2013, 10:05 PM
Yup, I have lyretails as well.

kien
11-25-2013, 10:08 PM
Lyretails also have the benefit of being among the most cost effective anthiases (Anthia? Anthii ? Whatever), if you want a sizeable school. And they come in a few different colours to boot.

Leah
11-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Lyretails

Taipan
11-25-2013, 10:18 PM
Most, if not all anthias should be fed several times a day (high metabolism) - that's the theory. In practice; most of the anthias my friends and I have kept do well with feeding 1x or 2x a day.

My personal experience is only with Borbonius Anthias - not the easiest to acclimate and keep. I have no shame in admitting I lost 2 in the process of being successful with 3 (1 I kept; the other 2 went to friends - I'm the guinea pig/litmus test).

That being said; here's a list of hardier species that seem to do well from the conversations I've had with others (in no particular order) that should meet your criteria :

- Lyretail Anthias: Pseudanthias squamipinnis

- Carberryi Anthias: Nemanthias carberryi

- Squareback/Squarespot Anthias: Pseudoanthias pleurotaenia

Hope this helps. Cheers.

albert_dao
11-25-2013, 10:52 PM
Stocky Anthias (Pseudanthias hypselosoma) are also super easy to keep.

Basile
11-26-2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks guys, i hear Lyretails lots too from other sources thanks for your input.