PDA

View Full Version : Plate coral problem.

whaase
07-10-2004, 09:14 PM
I got this about 1 month ago, it was doing great until last night. Here is a picture. Is it doomed now? Should I take it out before it fouls the water or just wait and see?

http://aquahome.no-ip.com/plate1.jpg

Walter

whaase
07-12-2004, 01:31 AM
Well it died. It was starting to cloud my tank so I had to take it out... sad, but not much I could do to save it...

Walter

Delphinus
07-12-2004, 04:30 PM
Sorry to hear it. :frown:

I suggest you might want to try establishing a cause for the tissue recession. I find LPS can be intolerant of certain things like any kind of ammonia or nitrite spike, or excessive nitrate buildup, and can start to slough off tissue in short order. So if you haven't already, check everything you can think to check (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and perhaps pH, phosphate as well if you can test for those) and see if you can pinpoint a cause. Too late to save this coral, but hopefully if there's something sinister afoot, you can catch it before something else happens.

Maybe nothing wrong, but it's something I'd do if I lost a coral like that.

Good luck.

whaase
07-12-2004, 11:31 PM
Sorry to hear it. :frown:

I suggest you might want to try establishing a cause for the tissue recession. I find LPS can be intolerant of certain things like any kind of ammonia or nitrite spike, or excessive nitrate buildup, and can start to slough off tissue in short order. So if you haven't already, check everything you can think to check (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and perhaps pH, phosphate as well if you can test for those) and see if you can pinpoint a cause. Too late to save this coral, but hopefully if there's something sinister afoot, you can catch it before something else happens.

Maybe nothing wrong, but it's something I'd do if I lost a coral like that.

Good luck.

Hey Tony, I did check everything I could as far as testing and all was more than acceptable. I did some searching and LOTS of reading. I found out that even though these corals are rated at about a 5/10 for difficulty of care, they are MUCH higher than that. Many people have had theirs just up and die after a random period of time. All doing the same as mine. So far I can't find any information as to why, seems like a hit/miss... :frown:

Walter