PDA

View Full Version : Mixing reservoir water dirty

jmustapha
11-23-2013, 07:39 PM
Hey guys so I mixed some water last night and I woke up to stuff floating on the surface. This always happens and I'm curious what it's from. The container is pretty much sealed and it's only sat overnight. Any ideas?

gregzz4
11-23-2013, 08:10 PM
If it's what I'm thinking, it's clay added to stabilize the salt in the bucket - like some kind of anti-caking additive
Just hear-say, but that's what I've read
You can use a brine shrimp net to remove it before using the salt

jmustapha
12-12-2013, 03:33 AM
Ya same thing happens to me to and I've been told the same. It shouldn't be an issue for you

Madreefer
12-12-2013, 04:10 AM
This is definetly poll worthy:lol:

Let me guess.....your using Instant Ocean?
It happens to me every batch too. After years of using same mixing pails they're dirty looking too. I do nothing about the stuff on top, goes right in the tank with no bad results. No worries man

Koleswrath
12-12-2013, 06:38 PM
Hey thanks for bringing this up. I noticed the same thing when I started using Reef Crystals. Funny thing is that it started about 1/4 way through the bucket. You'd think they'd mention this on the packaging. I've been scrubbing my powerhead and mixing containers thinking they had bacterial buildup on them or something.
Haven't noticed any ill effects from it so far.
Greg

Poseidons Reef
12-13-2013, 01:19 PM
Hey thanks for bringing this up. I noticed the same thing when I started using Reef Crystals. Funny thing is that it started about 1/4 way through the bucket. You'd think they'd mention this on the packaging. I've been scrubbing my powerhead and mixing containers thinking they had bacterial buildup on them or something.
Haven't noticed any ill effects from it so far.
Greg

Have you tested the water by any chance?
No abnormal levels? I know several mixing containers can leach contaminants back into the water them selves.