PDA

View Full Version : Searching RC

Aquattro
07-10-2004, 05:52 AM
Anyone else find that searching Reefcentral has become near impossible? "Server load" suddenly has increased to te point of needing to disable searching. Right about the time you can pay for a RC membership that gives "higher priority" to the search engine. Hmmm.. :rolleyes:

yagimax
07-10-2004, 07:34 AM
Brad
Just finished an hours worth of browsing and searching RC and didn't really experience any slowdowns. You are running Shaw cable aren't you ?

Gary

Aquattro
07-10-2004, 08:10 AM
Gary, I actually get a page that says searching is disabled. Then gives a link to purchase a membership which allows "higher priority"access to the search engine. The site itself isn't slow. The page also doesn't come up all the time, but where I used to see it once amonth, this week it's been almost every visit to the site.
Maybe it's just a real busy week...

Doug
07-10-2004, 01:06 PM
The better search engine is just one of the features they have for a premium membership. Guess when you get that large, its the direction thats needed to go.

The membership is so large and if anyone remembers how slow it became at one time. It was most of the membership that suggested to have special features for a small fee. That helps John with the cost of running the site and allows better equipment, to keep the speed decent, most of the time.

Many of the larger US boards now have more features if you help with a small donation or work for the board.

Gools
07-10-2004, 03:19 PM
I've been having problems with getting on the search, the last few days. until this morning I got on no problem.

titus
07-10-2004, 04:22 PM
Hello,

I wonder how long it'd take for us to get to that stage. Probably by then technology has progress enough that we'll never experience the problem even.

Titus

yagimax
07-10-2004, 04:44 PM
I would imagine that maintaining RC would end up being a full time job :rolleyes: !

Gary

Doug
07-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Titus, it seemed for awile, membership grew fasted than they could keep up with upgrades. What started out as a small board made up with a few guys from anothers flame wars, has grown into a massive aquarium resource.

I assume it would be fulltime for one to run Gary, and I cant speak for the owner, but he works fulltime at his career. So he has a lot of help in running the board, with many experience in the equipment field, lots of staff and many others on Team RC that just help where they can.

titus
07-10-2004, 08:21 PM
Hello,

Yeah they sure did grow like Xenia. :mrgreen:

Titus

Quinn
07-10-2004, 11:07 PM
I haven't been able to search for several days. Lots of discussion and dissent over the Premium membership concept, a few people have been banned for suggesting the RC staff manipulate the site to encourage people to sign up...

EmilyB
07-10-2004, 11:27 PM
It seems to come and go. Usually when I am trying to track down some info and try a couple of searches in a row.. :confused:

Aquattro
07-11-2004, 12:21 AM
I haven't been able to search for several days. Lots of discussion and dissent over the Premium membership concept, a few people have been banned for suggesting the RC staff manipulate the site to encourage people to sign up...

Seems kinda petty to ban someone for that, IMO.

Quinn
07-11-2004, 12:28 AM
Seems kinda petty to ban someone for that, IMO.

Yup, if you can get to it, search through JohnL's posts. Some interesting stuff. Also check his posts on RDO.

Aquattro
07-11-2004, 02:04 AM
Yup, if you can get to it, search through JohnL's posts. .

*IF* I can get to it is correct. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I've only been able to get to the search page once in 2 days. I just tried now, and still get the "give us money to search faster" page. :razz:

Aquattro
07-11-2004, 02:19 AM
I also just noticed an announcement that RC was having server troubles. Mybe it's related.

reefer_11
07-11-2004, 06:42 AM
Yes it is related..

And no people aren't being banned for anything other than violations of the User Agreement. :rolleyes:

Aquattro
07-11-2004, 06:50 AM
And no people aren't being banned for anything other than violations of the User Agreement. :rolleyes:

I was trying to confirm that, but, well, I couldn't get to the search page to find anything :biggrin:

EmilyB
07-11-2004, 10:09 PM
:lol:

I am finding if you hit the search button about twenty times in a row, you eventually get through, kinda like redial.... :rolleyes: But you only get one shot at it, so make it good. :razz:

Samw
01-05-2005, 08:45 AM
Jeez, its 1:44 in the morning and I get "Sorry. The search function has been temporarily disabled due to high server load. Please try your search again in a few minutes. "

If I can't search at 1:44am (4:44am Eastern), when can I search? The server can't really be busy can it?