PDA

View Full Version : Does Anything Eat Hard Algae On the Glass?

LeanneP
11-21-2013, 02:58 AM
I started getting a bright green algae a few months ago that doesn't come off with the magnet. I have to scrap it off with a razor blade and I can't reach the back of the tank. It looks like crap. Are there a certain kind of snail that likes that algae? I have a tuxedo urchin but he is not cutting it.
Leanne

gregzz4
11-21-2013, 03:11 AM
Post a pic ?

LeanneP
11-21-2013, 03:27 AM
Here is a picture of the algae.

gregzz4
11-21-2013, 03:32 AM
I can't see much in the pic, but I'm no algae expert anyway
If you used something such as Photobucket, it would be twice as many pixels and maybe easier for someone to identify :wink:

LeanneP
11-21-2013, 03:49 AM
There is really no texture to it. It is just green, grows on the glass and won't come off with a magnet. It grows like a green film that is hard.

intarsiabox
11-21-2013, 04:10 AM
Urchins would probably eat it.

monocus
11-21-2013, 05:22 AM
it;s a type of Coraline .i have it as well,but my urchins wont touch it.i just take it off with a scraper and my fish go nuts and eat it

spit.fire
11-21-2013, 06:26 AM
a razor blade or a credit card will eat it up real quick

lastlight
11-21-2013, 06:50 AM
Easy blade will work wonders on it if you can fit your magnet scraper into that area.

http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Easy-Blade-scraper-attachment-for-magfloa-t125.html

LeanneP
11-21-2013, 07:06 AM
Thanks Brett. That is exactly what I need since it at the back of the tank where I can't reach it. Ordering one tomorrow.
Easy blade will work wonders on it if you can fit your magnet scraper into that area.

http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Easy-Blade-scraper-attachment-for-magfloa-t125.html

lastlight
11-21-2013, 07:17 AM
they are designed to be superglued to the magfloat magnets. I think you need to buy the one specific to the model you have otherwise it won't be the proper distance from the glass when it's glued on. the one i used to have was for the magfloat one size up from the one in the link.

michaelis88
11-21-2013, 08:48 AM
try the "purple up" this helps the color and grow up coraline algae in purple, might will take over these green after a period of time. then Its better looking at least.

Doug
11-21-2013, 04:31 PM
Yup blade it. My urchins eat it but not enough to control it.

asylumdown
11-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Yup blade it. My urchins eat it but not enough to control it.

+1 They're like any animal, they'll never it to the point of being gone. You'd still see the green algae, you'll just also see all the little tracks where the urchin has scraped a path through. Would probably look even worse.

matt_C
11-21-2013, 08:23 PM
Sea hare by far the best at cleaning up hair algae. they can even on glass they can stretch out.

gregzz4
11-22-2013, 02:37 AM
Leanne, if you do get the easy blade attachment ...
I found it easiest to glue to my magfloat with regular superglue and let it sit overnight. It hasn't let go all year
I also off-set mine to one side (flush with an edge of the magfloat) so I can get into areas without the scraper getting in the way
This also gives me the ability to get into areas with the other edge of the blade without the cleaner getting in the way
If you need a pic, let me know
And when I set the blade up, I did it flat on the kitchen counter
The blade touches but the leading edge of the cleaner doesn't. This way, when the mag is attached it puts a small amount of pressure on the scraper and makes it work better

And rinse it well after using, or the stainless blade will rust

Oh, and one last thing
I was carelessly cleaning it in the sink one night and found out how sharp the blade is, so be careful or you'll bleed :surprise:

LeanneP
11-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Leanne, if you do get the easy blade attachment ...
I found it easiest to glue to my magfloat with regular superglue and let it sit overnight. It hasn't let go all year
I also off-set mine to one side (flush with an edge of the magfloat) so I can get into areas without the scraper getting in the way
This also gives me the ability to get into areas with the other edge of the blade without the cleaner getting in the way
If you need a pic, let me know
And when I set the blade up, I did it flat on the kitchen counter
The blade touches but the leading edge of the cleaner doesn't. This way, when the mag is attached it puts a small amount of pressure on the scraper and makes it work better

And rinse it well after using, or the stainless blade will rust

Oh, and one last thing
I was carelessly cleaning it in the sink one night and found out how sharp the blade is, so be careful or you'll bleed :surprise:

Thanks for the info Greg. I'll have to make sure I glue it on the right way!

lastlight
11-23-2013, 09:45 PM
Crazy glue for sure. Not sure how else you'd do it actually. I would recommend removing the blue after use and rinsing and drying with a clean paper towel. My blades lasted quite a while and never a spot of rust. And yes they are insanely sharp.

gregzz4
11-23-2013, 10:52 PM
I would recommend removing the blue after use and rinsing and drying with a clean paper towel
You meant blade, ya ?
I used to clean mine after each use but got tired of re-adjusting it