PDA

View Full Version : Any reefer free to go to Burnaby City Hall about pet/fish/coral ban!!!!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-20-2013, 04:54 PM
So some idjiots who have nothing better to do with their lives are trying to convince Burnaby City Hall to ban the sale of puppies, kittens, & other animals including sw fish and corals. I guess these yahoos think that shutting down legitimate tax-paying, employee-hiring businesses is a good idea and that we can just get all our animals/pets from Craigslist.

Monday, Nov. 25 at 7pm is when the meeting will take place. I hope to go but I'm hoping that we get a lot of support from the pet-keeping and reefing community.

Fro all those who don't think this affects them, guess what? J&L Aquatics is IN Burnaby!!! So is King Eds. A ban on reef fish and corals will be very, very bad for the reefing community.

Hope to see you all there.

Anthony

gqlmao
11-20-2013, 05:26 PM
That has to be the second most retarded thing to happen this week, besides Ford :lol:. They should just take a hike and go do something productive instead of wasting people's time in going to these kind of things. You can't teach these yahoos logic if all they had was non sense to begin with.

jorjef
11-20-2013, 05:32 PM
Tree hugg'in, granola eat'in, earth muffins.

mrhasan
11-20-2013, 05:43 PM
No offence but looks like all the crazy news always happen to originate in BC. People getting sued for cutting down their own trees, (kind of) weird parades and this?! Would love to see someone post what these people have to say for their so called "protest". This is possibly one of the worst "first world problem" I have read about. Losers!

Madreefer
11-20-2013, 06:05 PM
No offence but looks like all the crazy news always happen to originate in BC. People getting sued for cutting down their own trees, (kind of) weird parades and this?! Would love to see someone post what these people have to say for their so called "protest". This is possibly one of the worst "first world problem" I have read about. Losers!

Watch it buddy. Not cool

And Anthony I don't think fish and coral will make the list. I'm an animal lover and I totally agree with stores not being able to sell puppies and kittens. There's too many of those losers setting up puppy mills and chit like that. And what a surprise. Most of those piece of crap losers are drug dealer welfare recipients

mrhasan
11-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Watch it buddy. Not cool

And Anthony I don't think fish and coral will make the list. I'm an animal lover and I totally agree with stores not being able to sell puppies and kittens. There's too many of those losers setting up puppy mills and chit like that. And what a surprise. Most of those piece of crap losers are drug dealer welfare recipients

No no no no no I didn't mean it for all the people. Its just that "those" type of people seem to be more in BC.

Madreefer
11-20-2013, 06:43 PM
No no no no no I didn't mean it for all the people. Its just that "those" type of people seem to be more in BC.

Well one of your examples you don't know the source it came from.:lol:

mrhasan
11-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Well one of your examples you don't know the source it came from.:lol:

Umm...which one?? :redface:

Madreefer
11-20-2013, 06:51 PM
I'm being a good boy now on the site.
:focus:

jorjef
11-20-2013, 07:15 PM
All the local pet stores here no longer "sell" cats or dogs. Now all the cats/kittens being offered by the shops are supplied by the local animal shelter to be re-homed, (with the usual fees) either that or they have gone out of them all together.. This includes the big box pets stores.

Madreefer
11-20-2013, 07:26 PM
All the local pet stores here no longer "sell" cats or dogs. Now all the cats/kittens being offered by the shops are supplied by the local animal shelter to be re-homed, (with the usual fees) either that or they have gone out of them all together.. This includes the big box pets stores.

Same as here and I think it's a great idea. I don't think fish and corals will make the cut though. But I'm also no fan of a fish living in a clear plastic cup.

Aquattro
11-20-2013, 07:48 PM

Good Boy Bill...has a certain ring to it, no?? :razz:

Magickiwi
11-20-2013, 07:51 PM

Starting when?

Madreefer
11-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Well I haven't been banned lately. Haha

SanguinesDream
11-20-2013, 09:46 PM
(kind of) weird parades

For example?

Reefer Rob
11-20-2013, 10:26 PM
Anthony, do you have a link to more information about this. I wouldn't think they would be targeting fish and corals.

Puppies and kittens are a different story. That cute little puppy in the pet store is often the end result of some terrible cruelty. There are low lifes out there that literally breed dogs to death.

Coasting
11-20-2013, 10:50 PM
http://www.burnabynow.com/news/pet-store-animal-activists-go-head-to-head-1.702202

mrhasan
11-20-2013, 10:57 PM
For example?

Don't wanna point it out since it would be hijacking this thread. :)

monocus
11-20-2013, 11:06 PM
i don't think fish and coral are considered pets-more of a hobby.but if they do try to ban them i'll be the first to start a aquatic black market

Aquattro
11-21-2013, 12:33 AM
http://www.burnabynow.com/news/pet-store-animal-activists-go-head-to-head-1.702202

Based on this article, I would agree with the action. Nothing mentioning aquarium related critters, primarily dogs and cats and rabbits.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-21-2013, 12:44 AM
Just heard through the grapevine that those wanting to ban dogs, cats, and rabbits, are eager to expand their demand for an animal ban to saltwater fish and corals (the reasoning I heard is destruction of the reef and taking fish out of the ocean to put into little aquariums being inhumane).

So while the main emphasis is likely going to be banning puppies, kittens, rabbits and small animals, don't be fooled into thinking these activists will be limiting themselves to just these. They have convinced themselves that petshops are evil and keeping pets is evil. They can actually make a stronger case to ban sw fish and corals because these are mostly wild harvested and imported from overseas, whereas puppies, kittens, and rabbits are domesticated and bred mostly locally.

I'm for greater regulation to keep puppy mill pups out of petshops.

Having worked in the petshop industry in the past, I know most of the kittens sold were abandoned overnight at the door or people just brought them in during shop hours. The kittens would then get their shots, a vet visit, a bath and fed before being placed for sale. I think most of the kittens would otherwise have been abandoned to the SPCA or just left out to die otherwise.

BTW, wasn't there a movement a while ago about trying to ban anything exotic (particularly reptiles) just a while ago in BC?

Myka
11-21-2013, 12:50 AM
So while the main emphasis is likely going to be banning puppies, kittens, rabbits and small animals, don't be fooled into thinking these activists will be limiting themselves to just these. They have convinced themselves that petshops are evil and keeping pets is evil.

I imagine these "tree huggin, granola eating, Earth muffins" (lol) all eat vegan diets, wear vegan clothing, and drive electric cars too, right? Do as they say, not as they do! :twised:

Aquattro
11-21-2013, 12:53 AM
and drive electric cars too, right?

Pretty sure there's some strip mining involved in the production of these "environmentally friendly" cars :)

SanguinesDream
11-21-2013, 12:53 AM
These are the same people who are anti-hunting and tell me to buy my meat in a store. By their rationale, we should free all the livestock so they can live happily off the land until Bessie eats their heirloom roses or Wilber gets into traffic.

I wonder is Saving Aquacultured Nemo would just make them shark-bait after a life in captivity? Maybe a counter-movement needs to be made explaining that aquacultured /= born free. Just thoughts.

mrhasan
11-21-2013, 01:04 AM
Pretty sure there's some strip mining involved in the production of these "environmentally friendly" cars :)

One of my supervisors had an hybrid and sold it few weeks back. He is a big environmentalist and his wise words were "I wanted something more realistic". Thought I should that forth :)

Honestly, you can never satisfy these "unreasonable" activists. They want clean electricity. Put forth windmills and they start shouting it kills birds. They write "save the trees" on pieces of papers but when you print something, that's a crime beyond imagination. They talk about being vegan to save animals by stripping down herbivores and omnivores food chain, leaving behind only the poisonous berries. They talk about oilsands companies destroying the country but then complain about the lack of jobs and bad gdp when those companies short out employees. Weird!

Coasting
11-21-2013, 01:12 AM
The Lisa chick in charge of SARS is a complete wack job. I've seen her outright attack people for listing an animal on craigslist.
Guarantee she will do all in her power to ban whatever she can.
I had her grill me once on a small animal forum because a friend had posted a rabbit for adoption that was for somebody she knew. She wanted this friends personal information so she could call her up and berate her for putting the animal up for adoption even though it wasn't her animal.

And yes big reptile ban not too long ago, Province wide. Coquitlam also had a large exotic animal ban not long ago either. Doesn't mean citizens choose to listen to the laws, but more pet stores are abiding by them.... For the most part. However this is causing more wack job rescue folk to come out and proclaim themselves king/queen of that bunch of animals and share how they do it best, and then allow themselves to profit off the animals that now need new homes because their illegal to own.

jorjef
11-21-2013, 01:26 AM
Crazy people intrigue me. There's nothing like debating crazy logic, some very entertaining conversations. When I was in high school I worked at the "mental" hospital in Weyburn. Some very fascinating people. Google Souris Valley Mental Health hospital. Anyways crazy lady has to convince a lot of people..... Elected people that I assume want to be elected again. There are obliged to listen but common sense should prevail.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-21-2013, 01:38 AM
The Lisa chick in charge of SARS is a complete wack job. I've seen her outright attack people for listing an animal on craigslist.
Guarantee she will do all in her power to ban whatever she can.
I had her grill me once on a small animal forum because a friend had posted a rabbit for adoption that was for somebody she knew. She wanted this friends personal information so she could call her up and berate her for putting the animal up for adoption even though it wasn't her animal.

And yes big reptile ban not too long ago, Province wide. Coquitlam also had a large exotic animal ban not long ago either. Doesn't mean citizens choose to listen to the laws, but more pet stores are abiding by them.... For the most part. However this is causing more wack job rescue folk to come out and proclaim themselves king/queen of that bunch of animals and share how they do it best, and then allow themselves to profit off the animals that now need new homes because their illegal to own.

Thank you for posting about your dealings with this person.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-21-2013, 01:40 AM
Elected people that I assume want to be elected again. There are obliged to listen but common sense should prevail.

Which is why it is important for pet-lovers who have the time to make it to these types of meetings to give our side a "voice" otherwise all they hear are the rantings of the crazies. They say the squeaky wheel gets the oil and so these crazies have very loud squeaks and we have to make sure that the politicians realize that they are the loud minority and that the silent majority are not supporting these individuals.

jorjef
11-21-2013, 01:52 AM
It's time to get out people. Mobilize and be heard.

monocus
11-21-2013, 05:32 AM
there is no common sense in b c politics