PDA

View Full Version : Frag tiles, etc

Doug
11-20-2013, 04:23 PM
I need to remove my sps from the rock before they encrust anymore. I was going to make pieces from Pukani but that will just get bubble algae and other crap growing in my tank.

Anyone use some type of flat tiles that I could put them on and that would be easily cleaned if pests attach? It still we be a couple months before they go to their new home.

Thanks

Chris82
11-20-2013, 04:34 PM
i have used just tiles from back splash sections that you can get at home depot or someplace like that.
i scrub them and soak them in salt water for a few days.

denny_C
11-20-2013, 05:11 PM
travertine tiles doug , cheap and work well and found at any tile store , about 10$ for a sheet of 144 x 1" tiles

Doug
11-20-2013, 07:53 PM
Kool. Thanks guys.

sphelps
11-20-2013, 08:29 PM
I'd opt for ceramic tile over natural travertine as it could contain impurities, should be cheaper too.

Proteus
11-20-2013, 08:39 PM
+1 on tavertine tiles

intarsiabox
11-21-2013, 12:09 AM
I use plastic golf tees for small frags. They don't float, are inert and can be easily pushed into small holes in the rock. I like this better than having to epoxy everything onto my rock work. Very cheap as well.

Doug
11-21-2013, 01:13 AM
I use plastic golf tees for small frags. They don't float, are inert and can be easily pushed into small holes in the rock. I like this better than having to epoxy everything onto my rock work. Very cheap as well.

May work for a couple of them but most are encrusted a few inches, so will need something like tiles.

Proteus
11-21-2013, 02:15 AM

Great idea!

lastlight
11-21-2013, 06:17 AM

i picked a frag up from Dez once that was done this way. Love the idea. Anything else I break the corals off usually.

StirCrazy
11-21-2013, 12:54 PM
Doug I have boxes of rough black slate floor tile, your welcome to some of it if you want.

Steve

Doug
11-21-2013, 04:29 PM
i picked a frag up from Dez once that was done this way. Love the idea. Anything else I break the corals off usually.

Yes but my post was initiated because I have several encrusted a couple inches. I have some of the smaller frags plugs but need grow out encrusting room for the next couple months.

Doug
11-21-2013, 04:29 PM
Doug I have boxes of rough black slate floor tile, your welcome to some of it if you want.

Steve

If those are reef safe I may take you up on some.

StirCrazy
11-21-2013, 08:14 PM
If those are reef safe I may take you up on some.

its natural rough cut slate, I used it in my fresh water tanks for years..

I also have some travatine which is old coral reefs, but I think it is filled so I am not sure what they fill it with. so I don't know if that is good to use.

Steve