PDA

View Full Version : Best way to add new fish to your tank?

jalemboo
11-19-2013, 08:13 PM
bring home a beautiful purple tang on Saturday from Big Al, as soon as I put her in my tank, everyone is attacking her none stop. I had to remove her to my nano tank for the time being. what is the best way to introduce new tang to your aquarium with 5 other tangs?

I have yellow tang, salifin tang, regal tank, scopa tang and clown tang in a 120 gallon tank.

jorjef
11-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Take cover!!..... you, not the fish.

Aquattro
11-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Take cover!!..... you, not the fish.

I can't even watch!

denny_C
11-19-2013, 08:37 PM
bring home a beautiful purple tang on Saturday from Big Al, as soon as I put her in my tank, everyone is attacking her none stop. I had to remove her to my nano tank for the time being. what is the best way to introduce new tang to your aquarium with 5 other tangs?

I have yellow tang, salifin tang, regal tank, scopa tang and clown tang in a 120 gallon tank.

in the dark , with a mirror....and possibly no other tangs:PPP

all in all you may have to set up several feed stations, mirrors ,hiding places or simply remove some of the more aggressive tangs until your purple settles in, he will then become the a-hole lol

good luck bud not an easy task when the other tangs are established

Reefer Rob
11-19-2013, 11:39 PM
3 1/2 hours and still no entertainment?

Perhaps and new larger tank will keep them all happy :razz:

Willito
11-19-2013, 11:57 PM
Get it eating first in the nano or the sump of the 120g for a week or two. Once it is accustomed to the water and food, put it back into the main tank. It will get attack but shouldnt be more than a couple of hours. After the initial beating to sort out the pecking order, everyone should fall into their places. This has worked for me with almost all types of fish. Make sure you don't have a weak heart if you plan on watching the drama play out.

MarkoD
11-20-2013, 12:00 AM
Fact : Your tank is not big enough for that many tangs

Especially with a clown tang, which is known for being aggressive

FWC
11-20-2013, 01:01 AM
Try keeping your purple in an acclimation tank floating at the top (think breeder trap but bigger) for a couple of days at least. It will let the others get used to him with shanking him.

jalemboo
11-20-2013, 04:17 AM
Thanks all, I will try the sump method first, getting a nigger tank will be my second option, don't tell the wife!!!

Coralgurl
11-20-2013, 04:21 AM
Thanks all, I will try the sump method first, getting a nigger tank will be my second option, don't tell the wife!!!

Oh dear, this thread just went from bad to worse......so many things to say but so wrong........made me lol

reefwars
11-20-2013, 04:35 AM
Auto corrects a love hate kinda thing lol

FWC
11-20-2013, 05:25 AM

Heuheuheu

Also just to add, in my above post I meant NOT shanking the new fish.

jalemboo
11-20-2013, 02:50 PM
opusss...I mean bigger bigger....sorry.