PDA

View Full Version : Port forwarding on SHAW w/ Cisco router...

nerdz
11-17-2013, 11:53 PM
SHAW was by today and replaced my SMC router with a Cisco. My port forwarding for my reefangel was lost...

I was able to fumble around w/ last SMC router and set it the first time. Despite this and Google, I'm having no luck with new router.

After an hr wait for SHAW tech support, they told me they don't assist with port forwarding.

Anyone been through this?

Cheers

nerdz
11-18-2013, 12:11 AM
SHAW was by today and replaced my SMC router with a Cisco. My port forwarding for my reefangel was lost...

I was able to fumble around w/ last SMC router and set it the first time. Despite this and Google, I'm having no luck with new router.

After an hr wait for SHAW tech support, they told me they don't assist with port forwarding.

Anyone been through this?

Cheers

cav~firez22
11-18-2013, 12:48 PM
get a real router and have the cisco one shaw provided to you set to bridge mode so you get real IP, then program the aftermarket one for port forward

tobysmurf
11-18-2013, 05:09 PM
I'll second the idea of putting the router in bridge mode and getting something decent instead. I have a lot of inbound traffic on my shaw connection and when using their router to do all the forwarding the router would lock up every 3-4 days. Since I put it in bridge mode and put a nice router/firewall device behind it I have not had any issues at all.

Coleus
11-18-2013, 06:38 PM
did Shaw replace the modern or the router? Or is it modern/router combo? I found Cisco combo box is hard to work with sometimes. Best is ask them to turn off the router function on the Cisco modem and use the SMC router that you have

nerdz
11-18-2013, 06:52 PM
did Shaw replace the modern or the router? Or is it modern/router combo? I found Cisco combo box is hard to work with sometimes. Best is ask them to turn off the router function on the Cisco modem and use the SMC router that you have

Yes, it was a SHAW combo unit. So l know longer have SMC... Good idea, I'll try to run it as modem only and get another router.

Cheers

*Mod, please merge this with the other duplicate thread.*

nerdz
11-18-2013, 06:56 PM
get a real router and have the cisco one shaw provided to you set to bridge mode so you get real IP, then program the aftermarket one for port forward

I'll second the idea of putting the router in bridge mode and getting something decent instead. I have a lot of inbound traffic on my shaw connection and when using their router to do all the forwarding the router would lock up every 3-4 days. Since I put it in bridge mode and put a nice router/firewall device behind it I have not had any issues at all.

Thanks guys, I'll find a router and report back

Cheers

*mod please merge this with the other duplicate thread*

nerdz
11-18-2013, 06:56 PM

Aquattro
11-18-2013, 07:05 PM

I did. To the best of my ability. :)(