PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running Hydras?

HaZRaTTy
11-17-2013, 02:46 AM
Hey,

Curious if anyone is running AI Hydras, What do you think of them and what are you running ideal spread of 1 fixture?

xenon
11-17-2013, 03:04 AM
We use them on our quarantine and the color is fantastic.

I also like that I don't need a computer or the internet to adjust the lights. EcoTech and GHL should launch a handheld device for their lights.

We have each module spread out 12" apart.

HaZRaTTy
11-17-2013, 03:34 AM
12'' apart so roughly 24'' spread from each end of the fixture?

So do you have 2 or 3 over a 4' span? Also do you find any shadowing if the answer is 2 over 4'

xenon
11-17-2013, 03:36 AM
12'' apart so roughly 24'' spread from each end of the fixture?

So do you have 2 or 3 over a 4' span? Also do you find any shadowing if the answer is 2 over 4'

We are using 6 units on an 8ft span. We would have used 8 units but both our overflow boxes are 6" deep (12" total) so there is no point in lighting those up. :biggrin:

HaZRaTTy
11-17-2013, 03:38 AM
Hmm.. do you think there would be a lot of shadowing with 2 over a 4' span.

xenon
11-17-2013, 03:42 AM
Hmm.. do you think there would be a lot of shadowing with 2 over a 4' span.

That depends if you are running them lengthwise or widthwise.

You can certainly start with 2 modules and add a 3rd if needed down the road.

HaZRaTTy
11-17-2013, 03:45 AM
decisions decisions..

2 Radions,

Or

2 Hydras

Madreefer
11-17-2013, 05:08 AM
I'm running Hydras and I think they're great. I can't tell you how the coverage will be over a 4' tank as I'm running 2 Sols with them as well. I'm not looking to start a debate but maybe go some research on reliability of Ecotech and AI products

HaZRaTTy
11-17-2013, 05:17 AM
Hey,

I do my research pretty heavily on everything I buy I think it's some
Good due diligence. I was more looking for a peer review with people that currently run the hydras.

I'm thinking and leaning that 2 would not suffice a 4' tank and ideally the min would be 3.

I like the radions and ultimately I am leaning favourably towards them seeing if anyone had opinions reflecting on changing my mind slightly.

HaZRaTTy
11-17-2013, 05:19 AM
Oh I will also ad, before this I had 3 AI Sols running on my reef and have had no problems apart from the controller which was really annoying to set with the dial.

The 8 bulb T5 fixture blows those Sols out of the water which is currently running on my tank after selling the Sols.

Reef Supplies
11-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Don't forget about the Hydra Fifty Two guys. They will easily cover +30" with the 80 degree optics. Defiantly will not need to run 3

http://www.aquaillumination.com/lighting/hydra/fiftytwo.html#top

Ray

mark
11-19-2013, 09:47 PM
Don't forget about the Hydra Fifty Two guys. They will easily cover +30" with the 80 degree optics. Defiantly will not need to run 3

http://www.aquaillumination.com/lighting/hydra/fiftytwo.html#top

Ray

2 Hydra Fifty Two = in price 3 Hydras and about same power

Madreefer
11-19-2013, 11:38 PM
Ray you should send me two of the Hydra 52's so I can test them :lol:

Slick Fork
11-20-2013, 12:46 AM
For those running them;

How do you find, if at all, the "disco" effect? Does coverage compare to the SOL?

I'm running two Sol's on my 75gallon and am playing around with the idea of doing the SOL-> Hydra upgrade. My two concerns as far as the lamps go is whether the coverage is the same/better/worse than the Sol's and whether there is a bad disco effect. Also slightly concerning is the reports of the director disconnecting randomly and turning the lights on to 100%.

mark
11-20-2013, 01:38 AM
^what's the problem with the Sols?

Madreefer
11-20-2013, 01:46 AM
For those running them;

How do you find, if at all, the "disco" effect? Does coverage compare to the SOL?

I'm running two Sol's on my 75gallon and am playing around with the idea of doing the SOL-> Hydra upgrade. My two concerns as far as the lamps go is whether the coverage is the same/better/worse than the Sol's and whether there is a bad disco effect. Also slightly concerning is the reports of the director disconnecting randomly and turning the lights on to 100%.

I'm running 4 Sols and 2 Hydras. I have never seen a disco effect with either fixture. I could'nt figure out what the disco effect was until I seen a Vega. There's a post on this site about it and it's quite noticeable. I do notice that when my lights ramp down the Hydras do seem brighter. But definetly no disco thing going on.

Slick Fork
11-20-2013, 03:37 AM
^what's the problem with the Sols?

No problem with the Sol's. I'm quite happy with them. But I wonder what I'm missing out on with the colour spectrum available on the Hydra's!

waynemah
11-20-2013, 08:19 AM
What do you want to accomplish by switching?

From my experience and strictly my opinion...

Greens look WAY better under LED, especially Hydras with B,RB,V cranked way up.

Purples and reds look WAY worse under LED compared to T5. For some reason it's just not the same.

Stag growth is better with T5.

Monti growth seems better under LED.

Zoa growth is WAY better under LED.

Other stuff like Stawberry Shortcake, Birdsnest, Digi's seem to be fairly equal for both.

With my tank, I have better polyp extension with T5 (not sure why).

The Hydra really made the colors pop and the amount of shimmer is no where near as annoying as the Kessels... But not as true (halide-like) as Radions or Mitras. With a director this would be a fairly epic setup. The wireless controllers are :censored:. I would buy Hydras again for the price point. Their customer support is truly astonishing. Ask for parts and they arrive within a day or two.

Depending on your aquascape, you may want a bunch of these things. They will cover a 20" x 12" in the middle of the water column on a 24" tank (10-15" off the water surface). If you have them higher you loose too much power. Aim for one pendant for each foot x 20"-ish of tank you have. Check out the 8 ft tank here http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=93114&page=6