PDA

View Full Version : Killing Pest Coral

martinmcnally
11-16-2013, 08:24 PM
Anyone have any experience with trying to rid your tanks of GSP or some other pest corals?

I have 2 problems. Green Star Polips. I thought I had it all under control I removed the rock, scraped off as much GSP as I could then poured boiling water over any tissue that was left to get it off. The rocks looked completely clean when they went back in and now its coming back :cry:

I also have an invasive zoa. http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/Kingfish62/DSCF9090.jpg

This one is killing other coral all over the place. I have resorted to scraping it off rocks and popping their polips :cry:

Spyd
11-16-2013, 09:09 PM
The last part worried me. Just be VERY careful with those palys. The palytoxins are extremely dangerous and easily absorbs into your skin, eyes, mouth, etc. the stuff can send you to the hospital so you have to be extremely careful when removing them. Be sure not to boil the palys as the toxins can turn to vapour as well. Honestly, your best bet is to get rid of the rock and start again or pull it out and let everything die or soak it in RO/DI water for a long time.

martinmcnally
11-16-2013, 09:12 PM
I used protection. I figure it must be toxic or something to win a fight with my SPS.

Noticed one really weird thing. As I kill them off my cleaner shrimp are eating them... weird.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-16-2013, 09:17 PM
I used protection.

Jee, you're the first guy I've ever heard of using a condom while dealing with corals. Whatever floats your boat I guess:wink::twised::bolt:

martinmcnally
12-03-2013, 05:22 AM
I took a huge rock covered in those palys out of my tank. Put it in RO for a week with no light (pitch dark).

Think that would kill them?... no they are doing just fine in RO.

:neutral:

Now they are outside on my deck. Lets see if they can live outside water and frozen haha. Im worred they might grow legs and come in the house during the night while im sleeping.

mrhasan
12-03-2013, 05:31 AM
I use aptasia x to keep some palys and mushrooms under control. Kills the hell out of those!

mrhasan
12-03-2013, 05:32 AM
I took a huge rock covered in those palys out of my tank. Put it in RO for a week with no light (pitch dark).

Think that would kill them?... no they are doing just fine in RO.

:neutral:

Now they are outside on my deck. Lets see if they can live outside water and frozen haha. Im worred they might grow legs and come in the house during the night while im sleeping.

Wow! Corals in freshwater! Now that's a new sector for business :lol:

Insguy
12-03-2013, 05:50 AM
Dump some vinegar in the bucket. Do a 50/50 mix water. They won't make it. This has worked well for me.

LoJack
12-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Aiptasia-X, Kalk Paste, and Vinegar will all kill invasive Paly's

Kalk paste is pretty much your only option with the GSP's

Rogue951
12-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Just be careful yu don't use so much kalk paste you raise the pH a lot.

martinmcnally
12-04-2013, 04:04 AM
Got what seems like a bucket full of Aptasia X today in the mail going to start spot killing, or seeing if it will even kill these palys.

SteveCGY
12-04-2013, 04:09 AM
I wish I had this problem. Mine are taking forever to grow and cover the area I want them too

LoJack
12-04-2013, 01:18 PM
I wish I had this problem. Mine are taking forever to grow and cover the area I want them too

Be careful what you wish for. We've all been there ... can't get them to grow when you want them too ... can't get them to stop when you don't.

SanguinesDream
12-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Jee, you're the first guy I've ever heard of using a condom while dealing with corals. Whatever floats your boat I guess

Even if no one else thought that this merited a "ha ha", I snerked.