PDA

View Full Version : Overflow non flood device

Scavenger
07-08-2004, 07:09 PM
Well I'm pondering putting an overflow on my tank, but have heard horror stories of flooded floors. I was wondering, what if you put a reverse float switch in the back of the overflow. That way if the siphon was broken it would shut off your return pump. Any thoughts on this??

robert
07-08-2004, 07:48 PM
It's great idea, IMO. Even thou that my tank is predrilled I still have the float switch attached to my return pump in case overflow stops for whatever reason.

medican
07-11-2004, 10:42 PM
hello......

Thats a great idea, so good that I was going to do the same thing to my tank. Then I got to thinking......... :rolleyes: .......... I will be using a CPR 102 overflow and it is made to restart by using a powerhead to suck the air out of the top to start the siphon again. Now if the power goes out it will drain the back of the overflow trip the float switch and shut down the pump, now when the power goes back on and the pump does not start the over flow will not fill and it will not start to flow till you fix it.......

Now if you put the float in the sump and set it up right, if the siphon does not start with the powerhead the sump will drop and then shut down the pump.......

I plan to use two methods of restart @ the same time, powerhead and a new suction pump they make for these things sits outside the tank they will back up each other as well as a float in the sump.......

http://www.oscarent.com

its called the Aqualifter

Ok....sorry for the speach.......Am I off my rocker here...What do you think :question: :question:

Thanx

Richard

WAIT :eek:
I think it will have the same problem just in a different place :confused:

robert
07-11-2004, 11:10 PM
hello......

Thats a great idea, so good that I was going to do the same thing to my tank. Then I got to thinking......... :rolleyes: .......... I will be using a CPR 102 overflow and it is made to restart by using a powerhead to suck the air out of the top to start the siphon again. Now if the power goes out it will drain the back of the overflow trip the float switch and shut down the pump, now when the power goes back on and the pump does not start the over flow will not fill and it will not start to flow till you fix it.......

OK, here is my setup description. I have float switch in my main tank to protect against plugged overflow. When overflow stops the level of water rises, pushes the float switch up and float switch turns off the pump to avoid main tank spill over. Now, my tank is pre-drilled, but same idea would work on your overflow box. Switch is in the tank thou, not in the back of the overflow box.

Now, properly designed overflow box doesn’t loose the siphon when water level goes down, or power goes off for that matter. I know that CPR do, which is not proper design IMO. Let’s say that your overflow box “dries” and water in tank goes down when power goes off. Float switch, attached to your return pump, is in on position. Power comes back and your return pump together with siphon start pump goes on. If siphon start is behind the return pump, float switch would rise again and turn off the return pump until the proper siphon level is established to take the float switch to on position again.

Note: You might have problem if you use the same pump as return pump and siphon start pump, which is IMO and IME bad idea, regardless the install of float switch.

Dazz
09-05-2004, 05:06 AM
Order a lifereef overflow. They are very well made and they dont require any powerhead to start the siphon.

danny zubot
09-21-2004, 07:58 PM
Where's the fun in that?

mr_alberta
09-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Well I'm pondering putting an overflow on my tank, but have heard horror stories of flooded floors. I was wondering, what if you put a reverse float switch in the back of the overflow. That way if the siphon was broken it would shut off your return pump. Any thoughts on this??

I have this set up right now on my tank. It has saved my hide many a time already...