PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good thing growing on my live rock?

RPatsula
11-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Hello, I have no idea what this stuff is that is growing on my live rock. It is an green leafy type of plant I think. I think it is no good so I'm going to pull it out with tweezers but I wanted to be sure first. I've come to the conclusion that if anything is growing out of my live rock it usually means it is bad because I have had no luck with good hitchhikers.

Thanks
Rick

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag18/Rick_Patsula/canreef/Green2_zpscdc16c97.jpg

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag18/Rick_Patsula/canreef/Green1_zpsbc38e7e4.jpg

Madreefer
11-14-2013, 02:23 PM
It's halimeda algae and is not bad. Nothing eats it. You can trim it, just dont let it get too large and thick.

RPatsula
11-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Thanks...I guess I'll leave it. it kinda adds a bit of color to the rock

intarsiabox
11-14-2013, 10:41 PM
Halimeda does use up calcium but it's easy enough to pick off to control it. You do have some aiptasia anemones right above the algae that I would look at getting rid of immediately before they become a problem.

Magickiwi
11-14-2013, 11:29 PM
Looks nice, I'd leave it. But definitely take care of those aptasia, it looks like you have quite a few.

RPatsula
11-15-2013, 01:11 AM
Yes I know I have a little bit of aptasia. The problem is that it is fairly far down in the aquarium and it is hard to get out when you try to use this syringe to inject it. What I am looking for some sort of flexible end that I could put on the syringe that would be about 1 to 2 feet long that I would be able to guide close to the aptasia to inject it. But I have found nothing yet.

gregzz4
11-15-2013, 03:16 AM
The problem is that it is fairly far down in the aquarium and it is hard to get out when you try to use this syringe to inject it.
Or you could just smother that area of the LR with some 2-part epoxy for a month or so, then peel it off

intarsiabox
11-15-2013, 03:34 AM
You can get different sizes of plastic syringes that you can fit 1/4" plastic tubing on to it. Problem is it takes a lot more of the solution to charge the lines. I have just made my own with kalk in the past as it is much cheaper than ready made stuff and you can make a lot for next to nothing.