PDA

View Full Version : Mp40wES Bearing Replacement

HaZRaTTy
11-14-2013, 08:41 AM
I"m just curious if anyone has tackled replacing the bearings on there MP40wES Drysides?

If you have how did you manage without a bearing press? Also what bearings have you used and did you find it worth the effort?

gregzz4
11-15-2013, 04:32 AM
I replaced the bearings in 2 MP10 dry sides last year
For me, total waste of time and money, even with the best (brand/style) ones recommended in the MP40 threads (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1901337&page=5), and the supplier's lube
Plus, one of the bearings I received was pooched right out of the shoot
No improvement in sound, and a new dry side was my fix
In the linked thread you'll find the bearing #s for your MP40 and where to buy them, along with some tools if you like

To remove the bearings I hung them in a small vice and tapped the shaft out with a punch
For pressing the bearings, I used the vice and a socket that matched the inner race
Tapping them out is tricky due to the magnet

If you do decide to go this route, make certain you 'press' the bearings
I know you asked about it so you must be aware, but, I'll state it anyway
Hammering/jolting the new bearings on will more than likely destroy them

Plus, you must be careful not to damage the magnet

Lots of info in the link and there's a step-by-step how-to on the first page
Good luck

spit.fire
11-15-2013, 05:13 AM
Makes it easier to get off if you freeze it

Madreefer
11-15-2013, 06:02 AM
I replaced the bearings in 2 MP10 dry sides last year
For me, total waste of time and money, even with the best (brand/style) ones recommended in the MP40 threads (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1901337&page=5), and the supplier's lube
Plus, one of the bearings I received was pooched right out of the shoot
No improvement in sound, and a new dry side was my fix
In the linked thread you'll find the bearing #s for your MP40 and where to buy them, along with some tools if you like

To remove the bearings I hung them in a small vice and tapped the shaft out with a punch
For pressing the bearings, I used the vice and a socket that matched the inner race
Tapping them out is tricky due to the magnet

If you do decide to go this route, make certain you 'press' the bearings
I know you asked about it so you must be aware, but, I'll state it anyway
Hammering/jolting the new bearings on will more than likely destroy them

Plus, you must be careful not to damage the magnet

Lots of info in the link and there's a step-by-step how-to on the first page
Good luck

I'm with Greg on this one. I did all of the above with same results. Not worth the bother.

asylumdown
11-15-2013, 06:36 AM
noisy little buggers aren't they? Mine are literally inside of a wall and I can still hear them when they ramp up above 80%

msjboy
11-15-2013, 04:39 PM
nanotopia from her link might help ( MP10 though):
http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/313810-ecotech-vortech-mp10-es-dry-side-bearing-replacement-guide-by-nanotopia/

( she is in fraser valley ) She also says maybe go to a skateboard shop where they have the proper tools to band the bearings out )

HaZRaTTy
11-15-2013, 10:35 PM
I think i'm going to stray away from the bearing replacement as I have read way to much on how it doens't help much / the effort it takes.

Yes greg I know a few things about bearings and a hammer and bearing does not go well haha.

Thanks for the the replies!