PDA

View Full Version : Test Kit for Reef?

Simmy
11-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Hi there, looking to add corals to my system. I've done a search and I've pulled up older threads for test kits. I was just wondering what test kits today you are using and recommend for a beginner looking to add corals.

I already have the AMMO, NITRITE, NITRATE, PH kit from API which I think are sort of hard to read but are ok.

I know I'll need CA, MG and ALK test kits, but which ones are the best brands that you've used?

Your input would be most valued!

Thanks!

kien
11-13-2013, 04:14 PM
I have no idea which one is the best, but I like to use API because they are easy. I sometimes use the Hana colorometers for Phosphates, Calc and Alk but they take a little more time so I don't use them often.

Magickiwi
11-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Hi there, looking to add corals to my system. I've done a search and I've pulled up older threads for test kits. I was just wondering what test kits today you are using and recommend for a beginner looking to add corals.

I already have the AMMO, NITRITE, NITRATE, PH kit from API which I think are sort of hard to read but are ok.

I know I'll need CA, MG and ALK test kits, but which ones are the best brands that you've used?

Your input would be most valued!

Thanks!

As far as chemical tests go I've found I like the Red Sea ones the best. I like the way they do their titration tests, makes it easier to be very accurate. As for which one is best? I dunno, maybe Red Sea or salifert?

Werbo
11-13-2013, 05:49 PM
Salifert for Alk and Calcium. Particularily like the changes to the new Salifert Alk test kit i bought 3 months ago.

Werbo
11-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Salifert for Alk and Calcium. Particularily like the changes to the KH1 drip bottle on the new Salifert Alk test kit i bought 3 months ago.

Red Sea has a multi-pack with Alk, Ca and Magnesium for a little cheaper than Salifert.

Simmy
11-13-2013, 10:35 PM
I'd like to give Red Sea a try in that case. Anyone know where they sell Red Sea kits in Metro Van? I checked JL online but surprisingly they don't carry Red Sea test kits!

Anyone recommend where?

uniboob
11-13-2013, 11:52 PM
Hanna checkers for ALK, phosphate/phosphorous. I use API for nitrate as I don't test often, and salfert for mag and calcium.

AdamsB
11-14-2013, 12:34 AM
Hanna checkers for ALK, phosphate/phosphorous. I use API for nitrate as I don't test often, and salfert for mag and calcium.

I was doing research on Hanna checkers, very interested in getting one mostly for phosphate. From what I gather from brief research is that phosphate is good for higher range ( 0.5-2.5 ppm ) and phosphorous is good for less than 0.5ppm. Could anybody shed some light on this for me and I'm sure others?

As for test kits I use elos for ph, phosphate and calcium, they're ok. Ammonia, nitrate and nitrite are all seachem and I rarely use them except for nitrates.

uniboob
11-14-2013, 12:51 AM
I was doing research on Hanna checkers, very interested in getting one mostly for phosphate. From what I gather from brief research is that phosphate is good for higher range ( 0.5-2.5 ppm ) and phosphorous is good for less than 0.5ppm. Could anybody shed some light on this for me and I'm sure others?

As for test kits I use elos for ph, phosphate and calcium, they're ok. Ammonia, nitrate and nitrite are all seachem and I rarely use them except for nitrates.

ULR phosphorous is 0-200ppb(parts per billion) so only really necessary IMO if keeping sps in tank.

AdamsB
11-14-2013, 01:04 AM
ULR phosphorous is 0-200ppb(parts per billion) so only really necessary IMO if keeping sps in tank.

I'm mostly sps and growing. Is a phosphorous test kit worth getting? Or will my "liquid phosphate guess the colour and be within 0.5ppm depending on light test kit" be enough? I'm all about accuracy but are ppBillion (sounds tiny) going to have a major impact?

I run gfo and change it out pretty religiously seemingly even if it doesn't need it. I'm having good although slow growth. I hope to get magnesium and a few other testers soon so I'm interested in others experiences.

Magickiwi
11-14-2013, 01:39 AM
I'm mostly sps and growing. Is a phosphorous test kit worth getting? Or will my "liquid phosphate guess the colour and be within 0.5ppm depending on light test kit" be enough? I'm all about accuracy but are ppBillion (sounds tiny) going to have a major impact?

I run gfo and change it out pretty religiously seemingly even if it doesn't need it. I'm having good although slow growth. I hope to get magnesium and a few other testers soon so I'm interested in others experiences.

From what I've read phosphates are usually the limiting factor in a lot of reef aquariums. Is it worth it? Depends on you I guess :)

Werbo
11-14-2013, 03:45 AM
For phosphate buy a Hanna. The Salifert, Elos and other color matching PO4 kits are more a guessing game whereas Hanna gives you a clear numeric reading.

gatzke
11-14-2013, 07:41 AM
i just bought the salifert reef package test kit of j/l and it is awesome wayyy better then the api one i had previously.

Simmy
11-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I'm leaning towards the Red Sea test kit. I now know that Aquariums West carry them and soon to carry will be IPU in Richmond.