PDA

View Full Version : cyano battle lol

wreck
11-13-2013, 01:39 PM
i been battling cyano for a few months now, have had 2 fish die in my tank and was not able to nab them out. my nitrates are 15. phos is undetectable on seachem test kit.

what are your thoughts on chemi clean

coral snow and zeo bak. also zeo cyano clean( i beleive new product)

how do u keep your tanks cyano free??

chris

studsrsx
11-13-2013, 02:47 PM
I have used the stuff before and it worked. This is only a temp solution though. You need to get your parameters in check first. Also I would guess you have phos in your tank even though your kit is not measuring it. Cyano is a bacteria so you need to find the cause otherwise it will return. I would recommend stepping up your water changes. Are you using di water also?

xenon
11-13-2013, 03:10 PM
From my experience, cyano thrives when nitrates and phosphates are out of balance.

If you have zero phosphates and higher nitrates I'm not surprised that you have some cyano.

Chemiclean does work but once completed, I would work on getting those nitrates down and also work on getting the phosphates up a little.

A small amount of each is ideal.

kien
11-13-2013, 03:14 PM
I too have used chemiclean with success, but ya, it will come back if you don't address the underlying issue(s). Chemiclean is a quick fix. A very very good quick fix though.

kien
11-13-2013, 03:16 PM
i been battling cyano for a few months now, have had 2 fish die in my tank and was not able to nab them out. my nitrates are 15. phos is undetectable on seachem test kit.

chris

Also, I wouldn't necessarily blame cyano for the death of your fish. I would look for other causes.

The Guy
11-13-2013, 03:20 PM
I don't like using Chemiclean, I find when you turn your skimmer back on it goes nuts and seems to take forever to settle back down.
I would rather find the source of the problem instead of a temporary fix. 0 tds if possible RO water, rowaphos reactor and keeping the nitrates in check and more water changes seems to do the trick for me. A little more work but hey it's a hobby!

AdamsB
11-13-2013, 03:26 PM
I was hesitant to use it but it transformed my tank in 48 hours. Add a few large water changes and daily skimmer cup cleaning for optimum skimming and my tank is back to it's pretty self again.

3 months have passed and I'm back to my over feeding ways so I expect a return attack lol

wreck
11-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Also, I wouldn't necessarily blame cyano for the death of your fish. I would look for other causes.

no it wasnt the cyano that killed the wrasse and diamond spotted goby. the wrasse didnt do well right from the start.

my setup is 65 g display with a 40 breeder sump. sump has roughly 20 g water. im running tlf reactor with fauna marin ultraphos. im also using filter socks as of yesterday.

for flow i have a tunze 6025 and a tunze 6045. and i threw in a hydor 750 aswell last night.

im running a spectrapure 90gpd rodi, 2 days ago changed the prefilter and carbon. will change the di tonight and the membrane is 1 year old.

trying to find a handheld tds meter, or an inline one as i dont have one

thanks fo the replies. i beleive the spike was caused by summertime neglect but who knows.

Rogue951
11-13-2013, 04:10 PM
chemiclean to nuke everything then a couple bags of chemipure elite should bring everything down quickly and prevent it from coming back.
but as everyone said. stop gap measure till you find the source.

wreck
11-13-2013, 04:23 PM
im goin to grab a thing of chemi clean today. thank everyone!! will post before and after photos

Rogue951
11-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Remember to shut off the skimmer!!!!!
can't stress that enough! lol

wreck
11-13-2013, 04:42 PM
kk i wont forget lol. hope the instructions are simple to use. can u feed the fish while treating?

wreck
11-13-2013, 04:45 PM
one other quick question, not concerning cyano .

any suggestions on how to get a long spine urchin out of this tank??

Ron99
11-13-2013, 04:54 PM
The KZ cyano clean sounds like an interesting option but I don't have first hand experience with it nor have I talked to anyone who's used it yet. But the concept is sound. It's a strain of bacteria that has a more aggressive metabolism and out competes the cyano for the nutrients in the tank. They say you can then do maintenance doses once or twice a week for long term control.

Reef Pilot
11-13-2013, 05:03 PM
one other quick question, not concerning cyano .

any suggestions on how to get a long spine urchin out of this tank??
Haha, just went through this last night.... Big net and gloves. Catching it is one thing, but getting him into a bag..., that is another. And then having to deal with leaks after, from the long spikes. Will need something better than your standard fish/coral bag, or use a small bucket. Good luck!

Re the cyano, had the problem a few years ago. Used Chemiclean once to get rid of it (and it definitely worked). But as others have said, get your parameters in line esp phosphates and nitrates. Then I also used MB7 which out competes the cyano bacteria. Have never had a problem since. I did have it start to reappear a couple times, but then just upped the dose of MB7 for a couple weeks and it disappeared.
http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/microbacter7t.php

wreck
11-13-2013, 05:47 PM
thanks for the link!

lol this urchin is goin to be frustrating lol. been poked to many times, and its been smashing my corals over

wreck
11-13-2013, 05:51 PM
should a person turn off the gfo reactor?

and install a couple air stones in the sump? when using chemi clean. just picked up a package

kien
11-13-2013, 06:20 PM
should a person turn off the gfo reactor?

and install a couple air stones in the sump? when using chemi clean. just picked up a package

You don't have to turn off the GFO, but you should turn off carbon if you're running a carbon reactor.

You can install an airstone. If you're running a skimmer you can either turn it off, or take off the skimmer cup and let the skimmer overflow into the sump. If you turn your skimmer off then make sure you do add an air stone to help keep your tank oxygenated.

Ron99
11-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Haha, just went through this last night.... Big net and gloves. Catching it is one thing, but getting him into a bag..., that is another. And then having to deal with leaks after, from the long spikes. Will need something better than your standard fish/coral bag, or use a small bucket. Good luck!

Re the cyano, had the problem a few years ago. Used Chemiclean once to get rid of it (and it definitely worked). But as others have said, get your parameters in line esp phosphates and nitrates. Then I also used MB7 which out competes the cyano bacteria. Have never had a problem since. I did have it start to reappear a couple times, but then just upped the dose of MB7 for a couple weeks and it disappeared.
http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/microbacter7t.php

I've come to appreciate the KZ products because they are very concentrated and actually cheaper in the long run (although up front costs are higher). Most other products like Brightwell etc. are so dilute you dose so much more and end up buying more over 6 months etc.

wreck
11-13-2013, 06:39 PM
You don't have to turn off the GFO, but you should turn off carbon if you're running a carbon reactor.

You can install an airstone. If you're running a skimmer you can either turn it off, or take off the skimmer cup and let the skimmer overflow into the sump. If you turn your skimmer off then make sure you do add an air stone to help keep your tank oxygenated.

thanks!! much appreciated

asylumdown
11-14-2013, 02:56 AM
I'm going to be the dissenting voice and say that I doubt reducing your nutrients drastically will do much for the cyano.

a) it's commonly reported on fish forums that cyan thrives in ULN tanks and is often associated with organic carbon dosing.

b) mats of cyanobacteria are often the only organisms living in some of the most oligotrophic (i.e., nutrient poor to the point of being hostile to life) bodies of water on earth.

c) 'cyano' is in fact an incredibly sophisticated assemblage of heterotrophic and autotrophic organisms, including prokaryotes, dinoflagellates, diatoms, and cyanobacteria, all stratified along micro pH and oxygen gradients within the mat and fulfilling different roles in what is in fact a mini ecosystem. There is strong evidence to suggest that some assemblages can fix nitrogen directly from the atmosphere. The whole assemblage is designed to be as efficient at recycling captured nutrients as physically possible (i.e., they don't really lose any nitrogen or carbon once they catch it), and to be as efficient at scavenging nutrients such as organic carbon and nitrogen from the environment as any ecosystem can be.

I honestly think the best way to think about cyanobacteria is to equate it to an infection. It can thrive in your tank regardless of your nutrient profile, and has attributes that actually give it a competitive advantage in an extremely low nutrient environment. Once it's gotten out of control, I think hitting it with a chemical treatment is one of your best options. The goal after it's gone is to try and encourage the kind of microscopic competitive regime that favours forms of life other than cyano, which, given the fact that it's such a common and unending problem in the aquarium trade, seems to be incredibly difficult to do.

kien
11-14-2013, 02:59 AM
^ Translation: you're ****ed. Don't fight it.

asylumdown
11-14-2013, 03:13 AM
hahaha! when it comes to cyanobacteria... I'd say you might be right. If you vacuum as much of it out as possible before you hit the tank with chemiclean, you might be able to beat it back, but it's what comes after that I think we have very little control over. Some people would say to start dosing your tank with one of the pro-biotic solutions available on the market today like microbacter (that's a real thing right?) or Zeoback or something, but I'm uuuuber skeptical of any bacterial supplement that hasn't been refrigerated along it's entire chain of custody. I've tried looking at a few under my microscope and I've never seen anything in those solutions that one could clearly say is alive. Even if they were alive by the time you added them to your tank, the microbiology of bacterial competitive regimes are way too complex and poorly understood for anyone claiming that bacterial product X produces Y effect to have much empirical backup.

At the end of the day, you can't have a problem with problem algae unless you have a problem algae. Why do some tanks get overrun with gross cyano while others look pristine even though they have the same testable parameters? I'd argue part of it is that the species that compose the cyano mat were introduced to one and weren't to the other. If the water can support coral, it can support algae of some kind, but what algae you will have depends as much on the stochasticity of unintentional contamination as your particular nutrient profile.

Ultimately all you can do is try to keep your nutrient profile within the parameters of the system you're trying to emulate and hope for the best lol.

brotherd
11-14-2013, 03:28 AM
I have used Chemiclean. It works but is a temporary solution for sure. And...it made my skimmer very angry literally 90 seconds after dosing the tank. I forgot to shut it off beforehand. Next time it occurs Chemiclean will be the last resort. I'd rather try to manually remove it but that is a daunting task too. No matter what, cyano is a b***h.

intarsiabox
11-14-2013, 03:31 AM
The only time I've ever gotten cyno on my rock is when I have a sand bed present. I've taken the same rocks and coral out of one tank and put them into a bare bottom tank and that is last I ever see of the cyno. I am in the process of setting up a new tank and am having trouble deciding to go BB or not as I love the look of a shallow sand bed but also enjoy not ever having cyno.

wreck
11-14-2013, 05:55 PM
thanks for the replies.

i added chemi clean last night, took the cup off my skimmer and also added 2 airsrtones. man do i have micro bubbles in the display tank now lol. can i put some filter floss in the last baffle of my sump inorder to keep micro bubbles out of my display?

asylumdown
11-14-2013, 06:00 PM
I have used Chemiclean. It works but is a temporary solution for sure. And...it made my skimmer very angry literally 90 seconds after dosing the tank. I forgot to shut it off beforehand. Next time it occurs Chemiclean will be the last resort. I'd rather try to manually remove it but that is a daunting task too. No matter what, cyano is a b***h.

You say next time, so your cyano hasn't returned yet? How long ago did you dose and how long has the tank been cyano free?

asylumdown
11-14-2013, 06:25 PM
thanks for the replies.

i added chemi clean last night, took the cup off my skimmer and also added 2 airsrtones. man do i have micro bubbles in the display tank now lol. can i put some filter floss in the last baffle of my sump inorder to keep micro bubbles out of my display?

I don't know if I'd worry about the bubbles, it's only a couple of days and they won't hurt anything, but I don't see any harm in the filter floss if it's bugging you. The reason you have to stop skimming is because there's literally not a setting low enough on your skimmer that will stop it from overflowing with that product in the water, not necessarily because of the filtration aspect (though I'm sure that's part of it).

Once the treatment is over and you've done the water change, your skimmer is likely still going to go nuts for a while. I've only used it on this tank once, but after the water change I had to set my skimmer on it's lowest setting and still had to empty the cup a few times a day to get it to settle down.

It would be a good idea to think about adopting a a strategy now to intentionally deal with nitrates. If yours hit 15 (I'm assuming that's measured in ppm), then the tank is producing more of it than it can naturally consume. I mentioned that cyano can grow in low nutrient environments, but it certainly doesn't mind high nutrients either! If you're only relying on human muscle power through water changes and whatever anoxic zones you might have in your rock and sand to do all your denitrifying, you'll need to be very religious about water changes for them to keep nitrates under control long term. Keep in mind that a 20% water change will only drop your nitrates from 15 to 12ppm, and dropping your nitrates to 5ppm in a single shot would require a 66% water change with nitrate free water. If you're going to continue using water changes as the primary tool to address nitrates you'll need to figure out your weekly rate of nitrate production (which will be complicated by any nuisance algae or cyano that will most certainly be taking some of it up), and make sure that your weekly or biweekly water changes are a greater percentage of your system volume than the percentage increase in nitrate concentration each week. There are a bunch of different methods for controlling nitrates in an automated way that work round the clock whether you're on top of water changes or not, but I might suggest not starting any sort of carbon dosing regiment (either solid or liquid) until you've seriously beat back the cyano problem. Adding excess organic carbon to a tank with high nitrate and well established cyano bacteria would be a little like trying to put out a fire by dousing it with gasoline.

Anyway good luck. If it really is cyano, you should see drastic results by tomorrow.

wreck
11-14-2013, 06:48 PM
I don't know if I'd worry about the bubbles, it's only a couple of days and they won't hurt anything, but I don't see any harm in the filter floss if it's bugging you. The reason you have to stop skimming is because there's literally not a setting low enough on your skimmer that will stop it from overflowing with that product in the water, not necessarily because of the filtration aspect (though I'm sure that's part of it).

Once the treatment is over and you've done the water change, your skimmer is likely still going to go nuts for a while. I've only used it on this tank once, but after the water change I had to set my skimmer on it's lowest setting and still had to empty the cup a few times a day to get it to settle down.

It would be a good idea to think about adopting a a strategy now to intentionally deal with nitrates. If yours hit 15 (I'm assuming that's measured in ppm), then the tank is producing more of it than it can naturally consume. I mentioned that cyano can grow in low nutrient environments, but it certainly doesn't mind high nutrients either! If you're only relying on human muscle power through water changes and whatever anoxic zones you might have in your rock and sand to do all your denitrifying, you'll need to be very religious about water changes for them to keep nitrates under control long term. Keep in mind that a 20% water change will only drop your nitrates from 15 to 12ppm, and dropping your nitrates to 5ppm in a single shot would require a 66% water change with nitrate free water. If you're going to continue using water changes as the primary tool to address nitrates you'll need to figure out your weekly rate of nitrate production (which will be complicated by any nuisance algae or cyano that will most certainly be taking some of it up), and make sure that your weekly or biweekly water changes are a greater percentage of your system volume than the percentage increase in nitrate concentration each week. There are a bunch of different methods for controlling nitrates in an automated way that work round the clock whether you're on top of water changes or not, but I might suggest not starting any sort of carbon dosing regiment (either solid or liquid) until you've seriously beat back the cyano problem. Adding excess organic carbon to a tank with high nitrate and well established cyano bacteria would be a little like trying to put out a fire by dousing it with gasoline.

Anyway good luck. If it really is cyano, you should see drastic results by tomorrow.

man thanks for the detailed reply. i am trully not sure what exactly caused my problem, im guessing summer neglets and lack of water changes. also i dont have a tds meter on my rodi unit, im ordering one today aswell as new di filter and also a membrane incase mine is toasted.

what methods do you suggest besides waater changes to lower nitrates? im open to try anything.

mat20040
11-14-2013, 06:53 PM
what do you feed your tank?
I used to have a big problem with cyano ( and did everything from high flow to water change) I was feeding frozzen food, since I changed to only dry pallet no more cyano:)

chris

asylumdown
11-14-2013, 07:38 PM
oh there's tons, but a lot work on similar principles

Carbon dosing is one of the major ones, which can be system wide using simple easy to make solutions of either ethanol (usually vodka), sugar, vinegar, or some combination of all three. There's hundreds of threads on reef central and a bunch of articles written on how to do it, how to ramp it up, etc.

Then there's solid carbon dosing which usually means a biodegradable carbon polymer like biopellets tumbled in a reactor, though a newish product that doesn't require a reactor has come out of South Africa recently, and is the same polymer but formed in block that looks like feta cheese (never tried that one).

The logic of carbon dosing being built on the redfield ratio, which finds that ocean going plankton contain C:N:P molecules in the ratio of 106:16:1, meaning for every molecule of nitrogen consumed, 6.6ish molecules of organic carbon are also consumed. It's based off of measurements of pytoplankton, and in reality should be considered a general average (the specifics are always more nuanced than that), but aquarists have extended it potentially apply to heterotrophic bacteria as well and hypothesized that from a bacteria's point of view our tanks are organic carbon limited. Adding organic carbon in excess, so the theory goes, will allow excessive growth of heterotrophic bacteria that will consume large quantities of nitrate and some phosphate (in a ratio of 16 to 1), and those bacteria can then be either consumed by corals or skimmed out by a skimmer (hence why most suggest pointing the outflow of a BP reactor at the intake of a skimmer).

Carbon dosing has it's risks, benefits, proponents, and adamant detractors. There's hundreds of threads on all the forums about it. The risk, is that cyanobacteria assemblages also contain clades of heterotrophic bacteria which are just as good (if not better because of their commensal associations) at consuming excess organic carbon, so if cyano is present and nitrate is high, it's possible to cause a cyano explosion by starting an organic carbon dosing regiment. Paradoxically, it's exactly the effect the method is attempting produce (cyano is a bacteria that consumes lots and lots of nutrients after all), it's just not the right effect. The challenge with carbon dosing is getting the heterotrophic bacteria you can't see as a gross red slime covering everything to become dominant, then managing it in such a way that leaves enough nutrient in the water for your corals. That's not always easy to do, which is where I think a lot of the detractors come from.

Then there's systems like prodibio, zeovit, and bright well aquatic's version of zeovit. Prodibio is a probiotic system that is supposed to encourage beneficial heterotrophic bacteria that consume nutrients, as is zeovit and brightwell, only those last two also include a zeolitic substrate that's supposed to both absorb certain nutrients directly from the water as well as provide a substrate for the bacteria you want. You just have to be careful with them as they each contain as part of their core 'regiment' the dosing of an organic carbon source, only they're not nice enough to tell you on the bottles that that's what you're dosing.

Then there's things like sulphur denitrators, or other denitrator reactors that create anoxic conditions inside them to favour and feed the denitrifying bacteria that break nitrate down in to atmospheric nitrogen. Those are sort of an older technology that never really caught on in the general public for all sorts of reasons, not the least of which being the potential for them to go horribly wrong and dose your tank with hydrogen sulphide.

And then really old school are properly designed deep sand beds, which a lot of people on here wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. However, the original 'inventor' of a deep sand bed specified the use of a plenum (a void created by some permeable structure in the bottom of the sand bed) in conjunction with the sand bed that most people in modern times seem to forgo, but to me seems critical to the design

There might be other ways, and each one of the ones I listed all have people who love them, hate them, think they should be banned, and can't understand why everyone doesn't use them. There's really no right way, and each one warrants investigation so you can get a sense of how they work and what they're doing. Always keep in mind that people on forums (myself very much included) often speak in absolutes as though they know what's happening, when in reality we're all just groping in the dark and are all equally as guilty of thinking we know more about causal relationships than we really do. It's as much an art as it is a science.

wreck
11-14-2013, 08:03 PM
what do you feed your tank?
I used to have a big problem with cyano ( and did everything from high flow to water change) I was feeding frozzen food, since I changed to only dry pallet no more cyano:)

tbh i usually feed new era flake and once in a while mysis and cyclopeeze. and i dont feed very much.

wreck
11-14-2013, 08:10 PM
oh there's tons, but a lot work on similar principles

Carbon dosing is one of the major ones, which can be system wide using simple easy to make solutions of either ethanol (usually vodka), sugar, vinegar, or some combination of all three. There's hundreds of threads on reef central and a bunch of articles written on how to do it, how to ramp it up, etc.

Then there's solid carbon dosing which usually means a biodegradable carbon polymer like biopellets tumbled in a reactor, though a newish product that doesn't require a reactor has come out of South Africa recently, and is the same polymer but formed in block that looks like feta cheese (never tried that one).

The logic of carbon dosing being built on the redfield ratio, which finds that ocean going plankton contain C:N:P molecules in the ratio of 106:16:1, meaning for every molecule of nitrogen consumed, 6.6ish molecules of organic carbon are also consumed. It's based off of measurements of pytoplankton, and in reality should be considered a general average (the specifics are always more nuanced than that), but aquarists have extended it potentially apply to heterotrophic bacteria as well and hypothesized that from a bacteria's point of view our tanks are organic carbon limited. Adding organic carbon in excess, so the theory goes, will allow excessive growth of heterotrophic bacteria that will consume large quantities of nitrate and some phosphate (in a ratio of 16 to 1), and those bacteria can then be either consumed by corals or skimmed out by a skimmer (hence why most suggest pointing the outflow of a BP reactor at the intake of a skimmer).

Carbon dosing has it's risks, benefits, proponents, and adamant detractors. There's hundreds of threads on all the forums about it. The risk, is that cyanobacteria assemblages also contain clades of heterotrophic bacteria which are just as good (if not better because of their commensal associations) at consuming excess organic carbon, so if cyano is present and nitrate is high, it's possible to cause a cyano explosion by starting an organic carbon dosing regiment. Paradoxically, it's exactly the effect the method is attempting produce (cyano is a bacteria that consumes lots and lots of nutrients after all), it's just not the right effect. The challenge with carbon dosing is getting the heterotrophic bacteria you can't see as a gross red slime covering everything to become dominant, then managing it in such a way that leaves enough nutrient in the water for your corals. That's not always easy to do, which is where I think a lot of the detractors come from.

Then there's systems like prodibio, zeovit, and bright well aquatic's version of zeovit. Prodibio is a probiotic system that is supposed to encourage beneficial heterotrophic bacteria that consume nutrients, as is zeovit and brightwell, only those last two also include a zeolitic substrate that's supposed to both absorb certain nutrients directly from the water as well as provide a substrate for the bacteria you want. You just have to be careful with them as they each contain as part of their core 'regiment' the dosing of an organic carbon source, only they're not nice enough to tell you on the bottles that that's what you're dosing.

Then there's things like sulphur denitrators, or other denitrator reactors that create anoxic conditions inside them to favour and feed the denitrifying bacteria that break nitrate down in to atmospheric nitrogen. Those are sort of an older technology that never really caught on in the general public for all sorts of reasons, not the least of which being the potential for them to go horribly wrong and dose your tank with hydrogen sulphide.

And then really old school are properly designed deep sand beds, which a lot of people on here wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. However, the original 'inventor' of a deep sand bed specified the use of a plenum (a void created by some permeable structure in the bottom of the sand bed) in conjunction with the sand bed that most people in modern times seem to forgo, but to me seems critical to the design

There might be other ways, and each one of the ones I listed all have people who love them, hate them, think they should be banned, and can't understand why everyone doesn't use them. There's really no right way, and each one warrants investigation so you can get a sense of how they work and what they're doing. Always keep in mind that people on forums (myself very much included) often speak in absolutes as though they know what's happening, when in reality we're all just groping in the dark and are all equally as guilty of thinking we know more about causal relationships than we really do. It's as much an art as it is a science.
thank you for taking the time to write this up, much appreciated!! i have some research to do now hahha, but that is part of the fun.

Reef Pilot
11-14-2013, 08:29 PM

You know, controlling nitrates (with bio pellets) and preventing cyano is actually very, very simple. That is, if you use Brightwell's MB7. Very cheap, and helps make your water and tank look very clean. As I reported earlier in this thread, and on others, I have not had a cyano problem since I started using this a couple years ago.

It is almost frustrating for me to keep seeing these threads about cyano (and bio pellet issues) and how academically complicated this issue is, when in reality it is so simple and easy to control, from a practical user perspective. There may be other remedies, but I do know that MB7 is a sure fire one.

asylumdown
11-14-2013, 08:44 PM
You know, controlling nitrates (with bio pellets) and preventing cyano is actually very, very simple. That is, if you use Brightwell's MB7. Very cheap, and helps make your water and tank look very clean. As I reported earlier in this thread, and on others, I have not had a cyano problem since I started using this a couple years ago.

It is almost frustrating for me to keep seeing these threads about cyano (and bio pellet issues) and how academically complicated this issue is, when in reality it is so simple and easy to control, from a practical user perspective. There may be other remedies, but I do know that MB7 is a sure fire one.

I think it's definitely worth trying out, but I'll be honest I've looked at several bacterial supplements under a microscope before (Dr. Tim's, zeobak, and one other brand that was spawned from one of the fish tank reality shows), and with the 40x 400 power lens, I couldn't see a single thing that could be construed as alive. I saw lots of what looked like organic debris, but there was no movement of any kind, and nothing that looked like a cell. It's entirely possible that my scope doesn't magnify enough as some prokaryotes are really very small, but when I look at something like cyanobacteria, or a dollop of dinos under the microscope, it's a veritable cacophony of cells, movement and life.

I've never looked at MB7 under the scope, but I know that in academic institutions, live biological samples like bacteria would never ever be stored at room temperature in a completely sealed container for any length of time. Even if they're added to a nutrient rich substrate, at room temperature they'd be dividing at an exponential rate. After a week the chances that they wouldn't have consumed all of their food and all available oxygen and suffered a total population collapse would be very, very low.

By the time you buy it at the store, you have no way of knowing how long it's been since it was packaged, what sort of temperature fluctuations it's gone through on its way to you, or really even what sort of fluid the bacteria have been added to. I'm not saying you won't get some bacteria, but the scientist in me cringes a little every time I see those bottles of zeobak collecting dust on the shelf at the LFS that is usually between 25-28 degrees with 99% humidity.

If the relatively small, low resource aquarium companies have figured out a way to put bacteria in to suspended animation indefinitely at room temperature and the best funded labs and universities on earth haven't, I'd be very, very, very shocked.

Reef Pilot
11-14-2013, 09:21 PM
I've never looked at MB7 under the scope, but I know that in academic institutions, live biological samples like bacteria would never ever be stored at room temperature in a completely sealed container for any length of time. Even if they're added to a nutrient rich substrate, at room temperature they'd be dividing at an exponential rate. After a week the chances that they wouldn't have consumed all of their food and all available oxygen and suffered a total population collapse would be very, very low.

Well, they do say to refrigerate after opening the seal, and I do. Not sure exactly how it works, but must be something alive in there. If you have cloudiness in your tank for some reason (like cleaning your sand), it will clear that up in hours (did that a few times) and make your water crystal clear. Also clears up mulm and bio pellet clumping. Without it, you will have a real problem trying to get your pellets tumbling properly.

I have had the cyano try to start up a few times, and I just increased the MB7 dosage for a week or so, and it would clear up. I think they say it seeds beneficial bacteria (whatever that is) which out competes the cyano.

So, just giving you the non-academic practical experience view... It definitely works for me.

waynemah
11-14-2013, 10:45 PM
I had a huge cyano problem recently. I busted out the best YOLO tune I could find and dumped 300G ChemiClean treatment into my sump. Pulled the skimmer cup off and turned the carbon off. Within a day it was all gone and everything was still alive. Once I turned the carbon on and skimmed the Checmiclean out the corals were back with excellent polyp extension and fish were eating as usual.

I'm very picky about my water. The Phosphates and Nitrates were barely detectable, but I still had carpets of this stuff... If it comes back, I'll just Chemiclean the thing again. It was just microbubble fest for a week.

ponokareefer
11-15-2013, 03:09 PM
I started my first ever battle with Cyano this summer after introducing something from someone's tank that had it in it. I thought the only sure way to get rid of it was total tank darkness for an extended period, which I wasn't willing to do. Great information here, thank you everyone. I look forward to seeing how this works for you wreck.

Anyone know where you can get Chemiclean and Chemi-Pure Elite in central Alberta or Edmonton?

lastlight
11-15-2013, 04:22 PM
I think I got my Chemiclean from Pisces. Ive done it twice and it works like a charm. This last time instead of doing quite such a massive water change after treatment (skimmer just overflows until you do) I just did my regularly scheduled water change. To make the skimmer work when it would otherwise overflow (it's already opened fully and overflows) I just positioned the skimmer cup at an angle so much of the bubbles don't rise up the cup's neck but escape where the cup joins the body. In this way I was able to skim water that otherwise overflowed my cup. Each day I just moved the cup closer to vertical orientation and in 3 days it was skimming normally.

The product has no effect on anything else and is dirt cheap!

michika
11-15-2013, 07:14 PM

"Cheap"? Right...cheap is relative don't forget.

Per the Brightwell page (http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/microbacter7t.php) for dosing instructions; high nutrient is 5mL/25g for the first two weeks, then you switch to the low nutrient dosing levels which is 5mL/50g. Currently my tank has a volume of 600g, soon to be about 750g. Using the 600g number on a large tank like mine I'd be dosing in EXCESS of 120mL/day at the initial dosing recommendation and then about 60mL/day. A 2L bottle is $40.10 at JL (excluding shipping and taxes). A 2L bottle will last me 16.66 days at the high nutrient dosing amount. The lower dosing would last a little more then a month; 36.36 days. Therefor I could expect to have a fixed monthly cost of $40 + shipping & taxes. That isn't particularly economic. Add in the fix costs of running your tank (utilities, food, salt, etc.) and you can be easily paying out a large monthly cost for your hobby enjoyment.

To conclude when we talk about "cheap" we need to recognize that its a relevant term in comparision to systems, economics (prices at LFSs, accessiblity, etc.), and feasibility. What is realistic for someone isn't realistic for another.

Also remember a lot of these threads are people advising others of their experiences. Advice is often just a regurgitation of things that have worked for others, but isn't necessarily based on hard facts or provable science. Just because something worked for you is not a guarantee that it will work for someone else.

Additionally asylumdown has provided us all some great academic based responses in regards to cyano. I think it really does put much of the discussion into black and white terms when it comes to why some tanks may have cyano and others don't. I suspect that those points are the ones most often missed when we talk amongst ourselves in the reefing community about solving this issue when it appears.

Disclaimer: I have cyano, I've had it since I missed ONE water change during the Southern Alberta floods. I've tried Coral Snow, bacterial dosing (Zeobak)increasing my water changes, amending the flow patterns in my tank, and doing absolutely nothing. And you know what nothing has worked. I bought many products on the recommendations of others because it also worked for them. So there you go, why I felt the need to chime in.

/devil's advocate moment.

asylumdown
11-15-2013, 08:45 PM
And I just want to put it out there that I've done some more research in to the specific strains that are likely in a bacterial dosing product like MB7. If they are using one of the strains of prokaryotic heterotrophs that can form endospores, then I can see it being possible for the product to actually have viable culture inside it long term. So while I'm still skeptical as to whether or not adding a tincture of say 100,000 bacterial spores to an aquarium already populated with several trillion bacterial cells does much, I will concede that it is in fact possible, if the right strains are chosen and they are prepared in an appropriate manner and solution, for viable bacteria to still be present buy the time you buy it.

The same can not be said for bacterial supplements designed to speed up the cycle, as the nitrifying autotrophs responsible for that cannot form endospores and go in to suspended animation.

It would be all so much easier to look in to if any of these companies would publish which bacteria they're using, but I'm guessing it's more likely that I will win the lottery tonight.

Reef Pilot
11-15-2013, 08:56 PM

Per the Brightwell page (http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/microbacter7t.php) for dosing instructions; high nutrient is 5mL/25g for the first two weeks, then you switch to the low nutrient dosing levels which is 5mL/50g. Currently my tank has a volume of 600g, soon to be about 750g. Using the 600g number on a large tank like mine I'd be dosing in EXCESS of 120mL/day at the initial dosing recommendation and then about 60mL/day. A 2L bottle is $40.10 at JL (excluding shipping and taxes). A 2L bottle will last me 16.66 days at the high nutrient dosing amount. The lower dosing would last a little more then a month; 36.36 days. Therefor I could expect to have a fixed monthly cost of $40 + shipping & taxes. That isn't particularly economic. Add in the fix costs of running your tank (utilities, food, salt, etc.) and you can be easily paying out a large monthly cost for your hobby enjoyment.

To conclude when we talk about "cheap" we need to recognize that its a relevant term in comparision to systems, economics (prices at LFSs, accessiblity, etc.), and feasibility. What is realistic for someone isn't realistic for another.

Also remember a lot of these threads are people advising others of their experiences. Advice is often just a regurgitation of things that have worked for others, but isn't necessarily based on hard facts or provable science. Just because something worked for you is not a guarantee that it will work for someone else.

Additionally asylumdown has provided us all some great academic based responses in regards to cyano. I think it really does put much of the discussion into black and white terms when it comes to why some tanks may have cyano and others don't. I suspect that those points are the ones most often missed when we talk amongst ourselves in the reefing community about solving this issue when it appears.

Disclaimer: I have cyano, I've had it since I missed ONE water change during the Southern Alberta floods. I've tried Coral Snow, bacterial dosing (Zeobak)increasing my water changes, amending the flow patterns in my tank, and doing absolutely nothing. And you know what nothing has worked. I bought many products on the recommendations of others because it also worked for them. So there you go, why I felt the need to chime in.

/devil's advocate moment.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I use about 20 ml a week of MB7 in my 230g system (may be less than what Brightwell recommends). And I bought my last 2L bottle from J&L at their boxing day sale (15 0r 20% discount). I just checked, and still have about 1/2 left (keep it in the fridge). I started this bottle last Feb. So that means it costs me about $20 a year. For me, that is indeed cheap to stay cyano free, and all the other benefits that it provides.

And sorry for seeming to put down academic discussions. I find them very interesting too, and often learn something. But I also wanted to give my real experience with cyano problems I had in the past and how I conquered them. As I said, I have not had a single outbreak since I started using MB7. And a few times (not in the last year or more) when it tried to start up again, I just dosed MB7 heavily for a couple weeks, and it quickly disappeared. Interestingly that happened during a summer when I was away a lot and not able to dose MB7 regularly. While that may not be a scientific test, it was enough to convince me that it worked.

I am sure there may be other ways to lick cyano, but that is what worked for me.

Reef Pilot
11-15-2013, 09:01 PM
And I just want to put it out there that I've done some more research in to the specific strains that are likely in a bacterial dosing product like MB7. If they are using one of the strains of prokaryotic heterotrophs that can form endospores, then I can see it being possible for the product to actually have viable culture inside it long term. So while I'm still skeptical as to whether or not adding a tincture of say 100,000 bacterial spores to an aquarium already populated with several trillion bacterial cells does much, I will concede that it is in fact possible, if the right strains are chosen and they are prepared in an appropriate manner and solution, for viable bacteria to still be present buy the time you buy it.

The same can not be said for bacterial supplements designed to speed up the cycle, as the nitrifying autotrophs responsible for that cannot form endospores and go in to suspended animation.

It would be all so much easier to look in to if any of these companies would publish which bacteria they're using, but I'm guessing it's more likely that I will win the lottery tonight.
Thanks for your continued research efforts into the subject. It must be a fair bit of work and it is appreciated.

I am just reporting on my experience, and don't have any scientific back-up for what worked for me. But I did see some cause and effect, which is what convinced me.

intarsiabox
11-15-2013, 10:57 PM
I started my first ever battle with Cyano this summer after introducing something from someone's tank that had it in it. I thought the only sure way to get rid of it was total tank darkness for an extended period, which I wasn't willing to do. Great information here, thank you everyone. I look forward to seeing how this works for you wreck.

Anyone know where you can get Chemiclean and Chemi-Pure Elite in central Alberta or Edmonton?

Aquarium Illusions in Edmonton usually has these items on the shelf.

asylumdown
11-15-2013, 11:52 PM
Thanks for your continued research efforts into the subject. It must be a fair bit of work and it is appreciated.

I am just reporting on my experience, and don't have any scientific back-up for what worked for me. But I did see some cause and effect, which is what convinced me.

haha, I can't tell if I'm wasting time horribly when I should be concentrating on my actual research in grassland ecology, or being wise in taking advantage of unrestricted access to pretty much every academic article ever written while I'm still a registered student.

for what it's worth I'm getting sick of cyano myself. I'm trying to track down some Dr. Tim's Waste Away here in Canada, so while I might publicly espouse kermudgeony skepticism, it's a relatively low risk thing to try so long as you aren't expecting miracles. Unlike a lot of the things that get sold to people in the aquarium trade (or the 'alternative' health industry, fitness industry, etc. etc.), there is a theoretically plausible basis for hypothesizing that bacterial supplementation might actually have some of the claimed effects. My skepticism stems from the fact that

a) there's no "International Aquarium Claim Certification Board". These manufacturers can claim whatever they want, but it's not like they're held to any sort of standards or quality control. I'd be far less skeptical if even one of these manufacturers would publish the species they're using, and independently confirmed cell counts you could expect to be in each bottle the moment it leaves the production line.

b) Culturing, harvesting, purifying, and packaging a bacterial culture is not a simple process, and could conceivably range in sophistication from rotting some shrimp in a glass, shaking it up really hard, then straining the fluid in to a bottle, to a highly sophisticated industrial lab or anything in between. Process matters, and none of these companies publish how they go about producing their products

c) Lots can happen along the chain of custody, and while some put expiry dates on the bottles, I've not seen any that put 'packaged on' dates on the bottles to give you a sense of how long what you bought has been out in the world before it got to you.

and d) none of this has ever been studied in any controlled sort of way (though companies often claim that they've done 'rigorous' testing and we are supposed to just believe them), so while it's theoretically possible that it works, the microbial communities in tanks are likely as complicated and variable as the microbial communities in different people's intestines. When a company claims that their product 'maintains proper microbial balance' or some other biologically meaningless marketing language like that, they are implying that they have far more knowledge about marine microbiology than is is reflected in the scientific literature, both in terms of what the species they are supposedly selling actually do, and in terms of how those species interact with the microbes present in your tank. Yes there is some high level scientific theory to justify exploring the possibility, but considering that a recent study exploring the microbes present in human bellybuttons came up with dozens of microbial species that were as yet unknown to science (an area you'd think we'd be much more familiar with than the ocean or the unique circumstance of a reef tank), the chances are good that there are dozens to hundreds of species of microbe in your tank that are also as yet unknown to science. A company claiming that they know how a tincture of a few known species will react in an environment as complex, stochastic, and specific as any one tank vastly over-estimates the current state of human knowledge.

points a through d do not necessarily mean they don't do what they say they do, or don't have value, but they're good reasons to remain skeptical. As I said, if it works for you, keep doing it, and I'm about to try my own little anecdotal experiment as well because I don't really see a reason not to. Hopefully it works and my cyano vanishes completely. But I know there's too many variables, both inside my tank and in the wide world surrounding that product's production for me to either say it was the product that did it, or expect similar results in the future.

Bah. I have no idea what I'm talking about. What was this thread about again?

wreck
11-16-2013, 02:35 AM
Well its been 48 hours and whamo that chemiclean kicked the s@#t out of the cyano. Now for a water change. Will keep posting back and will add photos

brotherd
11-16-2013, 03:13 AM
haha, I can't tell if I'm wasting time horribly when I should be concentrating on my actual research in grassland ecology, or being wise in taking advantage of unrestricted access to pretty much every academic article ever written while I'm still a registered student.

for what it's worth I'm getting sick of cyano myself. I'm trying to track down some Dr. Tim's Waste Away here in Canada, so while I might publicly espouse kermudgeony skepticism, it's a relatively low risk thing to try so long as you aren't expecting miracles. Unlike a lot of the things that get sold to people in the aquarium trade (or the 'alternative' health industry, fitness industry, etc. etc.), there is a theoretically plausible basis for hypothesizing that bacterial supplementation might actually have some of the claimed effects. My skepticism stems from the fact that

a) there's no "International Aquarium Claim Certification Board". These manufacturers can claim whatever they want, but it's not like they're held to any sort of standards or quality control. I'd be far less skeptical if even one of these manufacturers would publish the species they're using, and independently confirmed cell counts you could expect to be in each bottle the moment it leaves the production line.

b) Culturing, harvesting, purifying, and packaging a bacterial culture is not a simple process, and could conceivably range in sophistication from rotting some shrimp in a glass, shaking it up really hard, then straining the fluid in to a bottle, to a highly sophisticated industrial lab or anything in between. Process matters, and none of these companies publish how they go about producing their products

c) Lots can happen along the chain of custody, and while some put expiry dates on the bottles, I've not seen any that put 'packaged on' dates on the bottles to give you a sense of how long what you bought has been out in the world before it got to you.

and d) none of this has ever been studied in any controlled sort of way (though companies often claim that they've done 'rigorous' testing and we are supposed to just believe them), so while it's theoretically possible that it works, the microbial communities in tanks are likely as complicated and variable as the microbial communities in different people's intestines. When a company claims that their product 'maintains proper microbial balance' or some other biologically meaningless marketing language like that, they are implying that they have far more knowledge about marine microbiology than is is reflected in the scientific literature, both in terms of what the species they are supposedly selling actually do, and in terms of how those species interact with the microbes present in your tank. Yes there is some high level scientific theory to justify exploring the possibility, but considering that a recent study exploring the microbes present in human bellybuttons came up with dozens of microbial species that were as yet unknown to science (an area you'd think we'd be much more familiar with than the ocean or the unique circumstance of a reef tank), the chances are good that there are dozens to hundreds of species of microbe in your tank that are also as yet unknown to science. A company claiming that they know how a tincture of a few known species will react in an environment as complex, stochastic, and specific as any one tank vastly over-estimates the current state of human knowledge.

points a through d do not necessarily mean they don't do what they say they do, or don't have value, but they're good reasons to remain skeptical. As I said, if it works for you, keep doing it, and I'm about to try my own little anecdotal experiment as well because I don't really see a reason not to. Hopefully it works and my cyano vanishes completely. But I know there's too many variables, both inside my tank and in the wide world surrounding that product's production for me to either say it was the product that did it, or expect similar results in the future.

Bah. I have no idea what I'm talking about. What was this thread about again?

Love it! Brilliant!

darkreef
11-16-2013, 04:33 AM
I have been fighting red slime for six months now, I've done everything.

25% water changes every four days
Bought a new skimmer rated twice my tank
Bought a phonsban reactor
Added 3 more power heads
Treated the tank (worked for a bit) then killed all my pods and death to my mandarin. :(

It has slowed down growth but still comes back

Reef Pilot
11-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Well its been 48 hours and whamo that chemiclean kicked the s@#t out of the cyano. Now for a water change. Will keep posting back and will add photos
That's great. Yes, Chemiclean definitely works. Now your challenge will be to keep it from coming back. Good luck.

Reef Pilot
11-16-2013, 01:54 PM

Catherine, was just wondering further how my costs with a 230g system are only $20/year, while you were looking at $40/ mo with a 600g system. The Brightwell instructions state no more than 5 ml/50g/week (not per day) for a stable, low nutrient system. So, if I do the math on your tank, the costs should be less than $80 for a full year.

And remember these are seed bacteria, so Brightwell says this dosage can be decreased by a further 50% over time to maintain a stable, low nutrient system. I think this means that you need to keep your nitrates and phosphates low. But even with your very large 600g system, your costs could be less than $40 per year. So again, I do consider that cheap, considering all the benefits (not just cyano prevention) that MB7 provides.

wreck
11-17-2013, 03:33 AM
Well cyano is gone. Nitrates after a 20 gallon wc are 10 ppm. Skimmer is bonkers loll.

How long should I wait to do another wc?

wreck
11-17-2013, 04:18 AM
Well cyano is gone. Nitrates after a 20 gallon wc are 10 ppm. Skimmer is bonkers loll.

How long should I wait to do another wc?

darkreef
11-17-2013, 05:42 AM
25% ever 24 hours over three days then start pouring out the skimmer in the sink till it returns to normal. That's what I did anyways . I also blew my rocks off each time to get the dead stuff the cyano had suffocated into the siphon . Then cleaned any power heads , return pumps and glass.

Then have fun preventing it from coming back ...
I don't have a lick of algae but I still get carpets of cyano if I'm not carefull

Forgot to dip a frag a few weeks ago bam out break

I'm so sick of dosing that I just manually fight it.. Sick of loosing skimmers

brotherd
11-22-2013, 04:17 AM
Well, well, well. Guess who is having a re visit with cyano. Good times...not.

darkreef
11-22-2013, 06:32 AM
I just beat it without using chemicals !! One week cyano free

wreck
11-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Im close to a week now aswell.

asylumdown
01-02-2014, 06:46 PM
I know in forum world this thread is getting long in the tooth, but I want to add that I also appear to have beat cyano. Also, I want to walk back further some elements of my earlier criticisms of bacterial supplementation.

1 - I did a two course back to back treatment of chemiclean, and that appears to have wiped the cyano completely out.

2 - I started using MB7 right after the chemiclean treatment using the 'start up dose', which in my tank works out to approx 70-75ml of MB7 a day. Let me tell you that burns through a bottle right quick. Earlier I had said that I was suspicious over whether or not anything was actually alive in those bottles, but after dosing such large amounts of MB7 I've noticed some novel changes in my tank - first, my glass has been getting coated in this hazy, hard to wipe off film. Not your normal film algae, but something that seems more tenacious. It builds up quickly, going from crystal clear to looking hazy sometimes overnight. It takes quite a bit of persistence with the magfloat to get it off. Also, my skimmer's behaviour has completely changed. It's hard to really describe, but the foam column is much taller than it used to be. I've had to dial it way back because it now overflows if I set the water height in the same place I used to. The past two times I've cleaned the skimmer cup, the neck of it has been coated in this thick, whitish/clear slime that peels off of it in sheets below the line where the actual brownish/black skimmate gunk starts. It's strangely difficult to get off, you need to rub really hard near the edge of it to get a strip you can peel off started, it doesn't dissolve away like normal skimmer gunk just by running your fingers over it. That's never happened before.

I have to assume that those two changes, both on the glass, and in the skimmer, are bacterial biofilms. I've never had them before, and they's so obviously different from what I'm used to seeing in my tank I have to conclude they're coming from the heavy dosing of MB7, as other than the killing the cyano that's the only thing I've changed. There's obviously something living in what I'm dosing. It's kind of a PITA (it took me over 10 minutes to clean the skimmer cup last night when it normally only takes 3), so I'm hoping it stops happening once I go down to the normal 'maintenance' dose of MB7 (which should be soon, I didn't actually note the date when I started. Oops).

On the 3rd day of my two part chemi-clean treatment, measurable phosphates in my tank spiked to 0.05ppm, which leads me to believe that the cyano had sequestered a fair amount of it and was consuming nutrients before my GFO/pellet reactor could get to it. Some of my 'coal mine canary' corals also rapidly began browning out. I've been changing my GFO weekly since to drive the phosphate levels as low as possible and now most corals are back to their 'low nutrient' colours, and I'm consistently testing 0.00 phosphate on the hanna checker with no cyano growth anywhere in the tank.

We'll see if it ever comes back, a couple weeks obviously isn't a very good predictor of success, but so far so good.

zhasan
01-02-2014, 08:06 PM
I've also been hit hard with Cyano and was trying to lower my nutrients to get rid of it. My nitrates are at zero now, however the phosphate levels are still high.

I plan on using chemiclean to get rid of Cyano and then change up the media quantity of GFO (I think I was very conservative with GFO media I used initially).

I'll keep you posted on my success and faliure as I progress!!

Reef Pilot
01-02-2014, 08:29 PM
I have to assume that those two changes, both on the glass, and in the skimmer, are bacterial biofilms. I've never had them before, and they's so obviously different from what I'm used to seeing in my tank I have to conclude they're coming from the heavy dosing of MB7, as other than the killing the cyano that's the only thing I've changed. There's obviously something living in what I'm dosing. It's kind of a PITA (it took me over 10 minutes to clean the skimmer cup last night when it normally only takes 3), so I'm hoping it stops happening once I go down to the normal 'maintenance' dose of MB7 (which should be soon, I didn't actually note the date when I started. Oops).

Hmmm, have never seen that. Having said that, I haven't used the heavier dosage for a couple years now. But I would cut back the amount now and go to the low nutrient dosage, and then later half that again. Sounds like you have some kind of extra bio activity happening, though.

asylumdown
01-02-2014, 08:32 PM
Yah I looked at the dates from the other thread, I think I'm almost exactly at 2 weeks. Today is the last day I'll do the heavy dose. The films are annoying, but the tank has never looked better so I can't complain too much.

Doug
01-15-2014, 12:32 AM
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I use about 20 ml a week of MB7 in my 230g system (may be less than what Brightwell recommends). And I bought my last 2L bottle from J&L at their boxing day sale (15 0r 20% discount). I just checked, and still have about 1/2 left (keep it in the fridge). I started this bottle last Feb. So that means it costs me about $20 a year. For me, that is indeed cheap to stay cyano free, and all the other benefits that it provides.

And sorry for seeming to put down academic discussions. I find them very interesting too, and often learn something. But I also wanted to give my real experience with cyano problems I had in the past and how I conquered them. As I said, I have not had a single outbreak since I started using MB7. And a few times (not in the last year or more) when it tried to start up again, I just dosed MB7 heavily for a couple weeks, and it quickly disappeared. Interestingly that happened during a summer when I was away a lot and not able to dose MB7 regularly. While that may not be a scientific test, it was enough to convince me that it worked.

I am sure there may be other ways to lick cyano, but that is what worked for me.

So Im treating my stupid eggcrate for cyno. How does that happen? I dont have any until I sit all my frags on eggcrate?

Couple questions. Can cyno be transferred from other corals, frags, added?

Im ordering some MB7, as per the posts here. Would that mean my Prodibio is not used then. I assume its along the same lines.

Thanks

Reef Pilot
01-15-2014, 12:57 AM
Well, there have certainly been enough discussions about cyano lately.... But not sure where it comes from, or if it can be transferred. Have never researched Prodibio, so can't speak to that.

Like I've said many times here, though, MB7 has worked for me, and no more outbreaks for 2+ years now. Before that I had huge problems with it, similar to many others here.

You do have to kill the cyano first with Chemiclean (MB7 is a preventative, and will not kill cyano), then go on the heavy MB7 dose for 2 weeks, followed by the regular low dose for another month or two, and if all looks good, you can cut that in half again. Also, contrary to the instructions, I never had to shut off my skimmer, even during the heavy dose period

If you see any signs of it coming back again, go back to the heavy dose for a week or so, and then back to the regular. I had to do that a couple times at the beginning (but I had a really high nutrient tank then). But have not had to do that for a couple years now.

Doug
01-15-2014, 01:14 AM
Thanks. I added my chemiclean

I think the last time I had cyno was on my sand about 10yrs ago. There is absolutely no reason for it in my 30g, unless its a transfer thing.

I dont know how it just happens for no reason. Unless its related to the eggcrate where it growing. None on the rock. :lol: Of course its getting on all my frags, that I blow off several times a day.

Doug
01-15-2014, 04:30 PM
Does it take all 48hrs.....24 hrs and mine still the same ?

wreck
01-15-2014, 11:59 PM
I left mine 3 days . After 24 mine looked sinikar but after 48 it was virtually gonzo!!

Doug
01-16-2014, 12:40 AM
I left mine 3 days . After 24 mine looked sinikar but after 48 it was virtually gonzo!!

Ok thanks

asylumdown
01-16-2014, 04:29 AM
Yah I didn't notice much of a difference at 24 hours either. Some bits of it will continue to die for a couple of days after you do the water change too.

I did a second dose at the 48 hour mark (after a 20% water change), but chickened out after a day, so my second dose was really only 24 hours long. No lasting effect.

And yes, for some reason cyano seems to love growing on plastic. The first place in my tank it ever appeared was on the plastic covering of one of my overflow boxes, it climbed up it like a slow moving flame. Then later I couldn't keep it off my acrylic frag rack to save my life.

Doug
01-16-2014, 04:48 AM
I have my water change ready. Hope I dont need a second but guess if I do, it needs doing.. I never had that much cyno, as siphoned most of it off before treating.

wreck
02-27-2014, 12:11 AM
Well its been 4 months and im still cyano free. So far chemi clean has worked for me. Knock on wood

gregzz4
02-27-2014, 12:56 AM
I treated my tank starting Feb 6th and so far so good
No issues/losses etc

wreck
02-27-2014, 01:14 AM
Good luck greg. Hope u have the same luck!!