PDA

View Full Version : Drill or HOB ideas 67 gallon osaka

Aysha
11-12-2013, 04:55 PM
I got one of these last night.
http://www.hagen.com/pdf/aquatic/Fluval-Osaka-details.pdf
the 260 fluval osaka
(67 gallons)

I want to drill it but I am a paranoid android.
I'm also not sure what the best plan of attack would be. I usually get my tanks after somebody has done all the work already ;)

So on a 67 gallon if I go HOB what are my options? what is the best skimmer/filter options ect act.

If I go DRILLED what is the best option?
Best skimmer? best filtration/plumbing options
ALSO VERY IMPORTANT! Best people for the job?

The stand IS NOT an issue either way! I can always build a new one.

Madreefer
11-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Drill it. Sumps are way easier, putting crap in your display like heaters, thermometers and even your skimmer take away from that natural look we are trying to create.

gqlmao
11-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Be very careful... a lot of these kind of curved hagen tanks have a tempered bottom. Sides I am not too sure. I would find out which panels are tempered prior to drilling.

Aysha
11-12-2013, 05:10 PM
I'm leaning that way, I liked my old herbie overflow system not to mention ease of water changes and ATO systems. It will also look better and be cheaper (at least on my sanity) in the long haul.

Hob is easy but it isn't pretty and water changes are a PAIN!

Realistically it depends if I can get it drilled for a fair price without messing it up
I've never set up a sump myself ( I buy my setups pre owned most of the time)
so I need someone who knows what they're doing.

I saved enough on my glass cost that I can budget a bit more to get the tank working the way I want.

Aysha
11-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Sides and bottom are NOT TEMPERED.
I checked! I'm opting for a back drill over a bottom drill if I go that route.

gqlmao
11-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Yup I checked after I posted I seems someone has successfully drilled the 320version. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/226137-fluval-osaka-260-or-320/.

The fun begins!

Magickiwi
11-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Sides and bottom are NOT TEMPERED.
I checked! I'm opting for a back drill over a bottom drill if I go that route.

I've run HOB for skimmers, etc. and I would DEFINITELY recommend drilling vs. running HOB equipment. This weekend I was able to move almost all my equipment to my sump and I'm amazed at how much cleaner and roomy the tank looks. If I had the choice again I'd go totally drilled vs. HOB overflow etc.

Aysha
11-12-2013, 05:34 PM
How many holes for a herbie setup?
Where exactly?
How big should a sump be?

tim the toolman
11-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Drill it you chicken lol.

Aysha
11-12-2013, 05:41 PM
hahahaha!
you jerkface. You're just as chicken as me! I told you I'd let canreef decide it's fate.

Worst case I spend 100.00 and get another back pane cut.

I'm thinking I'll call aquagiant and ask them what they can do. Slight issue is AG doesn't communicate all that well.

tim the toolman
11-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Tell ya what. If they are going to charge you a bunch of cash to drill it I will do it for ya. If its going to be pricey and they wont gaurantee the glass I will do it then as well.

And for the record I drilled my 180 4 times so im not THAT chicken lol

Aysha
11-12-2013, 05:51 PM
I'll call a few glass shops.
I'm not worried about cracking the back panel. I am worried about cracking the bottom. How big should the holes be and how many?

RDNanoGuy
11-12-2013, 06:02 PM
For a Herbie setup you will need two drains. One main with the gate valve on it and one for the emergency standpipe. As for your return, you could have another hole or go over the top edge on the back.

tim the toolman
11-12-2013, 06:12 PM
for a tank that size I would just do 2x inch and a quarter holes for the overflow system with a low profile internal overflow box. Then for your mean returns I would just come right up over the back, add some nice lock line so you can aim your flow however you like. easy peasy

Aysha
11-12-2013, 06:14 PM
yup! I know the basic setup just not how many holes it needs to connect to the tank. I've been doing some reading because I REALLY! should learn how to put it all together.

Big Al's won't guarantee anything and AG didn't understand what I wanted
I will call Norbys and crystal glass this afternoon.

byee
11-17-2013, 10:54 PM
I had a CPR HOB overflow with the airlifted.

Over the 10 years I've had my tank running, it has flooded my basement for various reasons - dead air lifter, the lines were plugged up, airline got brittle from the 14K MH……etc

Like yourself I did not want to drill the tank simply because I thought the holes would compromise the integrity of the tank.

in hind sight, should've bought a reef ready tank with holes pre-drilled!

I just bought myself a custom 45g starphire glass cube. Guess what? Its drilled! No more nonsense with HOB's !

HaZRaTTy
11-17-2013, 11:43 PM
Never EVER EVER will I do HOB again. Regardless if its Fresh/Salt water. What's the point.. and why bother with stupid HOB garbage.

Drill it, If your drilling the back I would go for an external overflow otherwise why not just drill the bottom makes no sense.

If you drill the bottom go with a Herbie, by far the most fail proof silent overflow I have ever ran. (I've ran them all except bean animal which doesn't even make sense to me to begin with)

If you're drilling 2 holes and drilling the bottom for internal overflow I would take the extra 3''-4'' and drill 3 for a return. It beats having to run the return over the back. If you're going to run the return over the back anyways.. WHY Not just go with an external overflow?

Aysha
11-21-2013, 04:45 AM
OKAY! Drum roll PLEASE!

I've come to a decision.. With much mumbling and growling at my tape measure I came to the conclusion that my reef ready concept tank I was bitching about is only 5 INCHES longer and 4 INCHES taller. It's the damn canopy which is making it 10 inches taller.

It is currently full of my husbands rainbow fish.

Upsides!
Drilled
Sumped
Plumbed
T5'd

I don't have to build a new stand.
I don't need to put up with an 8 gallon sump or a glass shop.

My husband is dancing like an idiot over the fact that he some how got the tank he'd been wanting.
Bonus wife points.

Downsides
I have to buy 2 LED fixtures (Bfd when I am no longer talking drilling holes through my walls and having to have custom sumps/stands built)
noisy durso plumbing
It's full of rainbow fish.
hight.