PDA

View Full Version : bully coral beauty

AdrianC
11-10-2013, 01:05 PM
hi everyone, was wondering if anyone has had issues with your coral beauty bullying its other tank mates. My two clowns seem to be putting up with it but it seems any new additions dont fare as well. I suspect she is the culprit who has lead to my past four fish from dieing out. I usually can get them to eat but before they pass (usually at night) they look all haggard. I have also notice she has started to pick on my skunk shrimp. I have looked online for any answers, and have only found one solution.

Apparently i need to seperate her, change my rock layout. Then after a few days reintroduce her in at night.. Has n e one tried this?? I dont want to rearrange my rock every time she grows a pair. Any help would be awesome.

I have a 46 gal bow front, 10gal fuge, 50lbs live rock. They are all eatting raveniously each day. Water parameters all great.

Taipan
11-10-2013, 02:33 PM
If you suspect that the Coral Beauty has caused 4 previous fish to die because of bullying - it may be time to separate it and find a new home for it. Coral Beauty angelfish in general aren't that aggressive but like any fish - it depends on individual personality. Were the previous 4 fish similar in size and body type/shape?

You can try re-arranging the rock work and re-introducing it into the system; but this may only curb its impulses temporarily until it familiarizes itself with its "new" surroundings. In addition; IF this works ask yourself "Do I want to do this every time I add a new fish?".

AdrianC
11-10-2013, 02:48 PM
If you suspect that the Coral Beauty has caused 4 previous fish to die because of bullying - it may be time to separate it and find a new home for it. Coral Beauty angelfish in general aren't that aggressive but like any fish - it depends on individual personality. Were the previous 4 fish similar in size and body type/shape?

You can try re-arranging the rock work and re-introducing it into the system; but this may only curb its impulses temporarily until it familiarizes itself with its "new" surroundings. In addition; IF this works ask yourself "Do I want to do this every time I add a new fish?".

Exactly what i was thinking too. The other fish were three blue/green chromis and a royal gramma. So no size or shape correlation there. I was worried i might have to trade her in, but my wife the animal lover she is didnt want to give up on her. But i think your right, trading might be the best option. The two clowns i have were there before her so makes sense why they can tolerate her more.

Taipan
11-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Don't be discouraged. It really is individual personality of each fish. You can try another Coral Beauty (perhaps smaller) again.

Alternatively; there are other Centropyge angels that are similar that you may want to look into:

Rusty Angel, Midnight, Blue Fin, Golden Dwarf, Flame, Potter's, Lemon Peel, etc.....

Take some time and research (some are more 'reef safe with caution' than others.)

As an aside: Chromis are kind of weird (at least for me). I've had them spontaneously disappear and die without a specific known reason (predator, disease, internal hierarchy fighting) in the past. I've already accepted the fact that they aren't as hardy as other fish.

My 2 cents ;) : http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=102188

hillegom
11-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Try taping a mirror close to where she usually hangs out. She will see herself and take out some aggression.
This has worked for some people.
If this works for you, then when you add new fish, put the mirror back, and she will have to split the aggression to others

AdrianC
11-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Try taping a mirror close to where she usually hangs out. She will see herself and take out some aggression.
This has worked for some people.
If this works for you, then when you add new fish, put the mirror back, and she will have to split the aggression to others

So they have the mindset of a beta?? Lol who knew. Well i can give that a try for now, while i figure out if i am swapping her out or not.

AdrianC
11-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Don't be discouraged. It really is individual personality of each fish. You can try another Coral Beauty (perhaps smaller) again.

Alternatively; there are other Centropyge angels that are similar that you may want to look into:

Rusty Angel, Midnight, Blue Fin, Golden Dwarf, Flame, Potter's, Lemon Peel, etc.....

Take some time and research (some are more 'reef safe with caution' than others.)

As an aside: Chromis are kind of weird (at least for me). I've had them spontaneously disappear and die without a specific known reason (predator, disease, internal hierarchy fighting) in the past. I've already accepted the fact that they aren't as hardy as other fish.

I had heard that about my chromis too, but when they have been falling out one at a time. Found it odd. The last one croaked out on the sand bed, lucky for me my shrimp had molted so i ciuld take a look. But i found no signs of disease, injury or any other indication for cause of death. But none seemed apparent. I dont think i will try chromis again.

I had thought about a lemon peel but i thought my 45 would be too small for it. So i might get small fish for now then grow out the corals more instead.

But thank you and everyone else with this issue, canreef seems the most helpful for me in my transition from freshwater to reef. :-)

The Guy
11-10-2013, 04:15 PM

Yep I agree about the chromis, I've had them just up and die for no particular reason, I also have a Coral beauty in my 90g but he's a suck and is not mean at all, I think it depends on the fish. One thing he really likes is nori on a clip he's always hanging around while my tangs tear the nori apart and seems to enjoy all the scraps floating around. I like mirror idea as well try keeping him well fed and see how it goes. :biggrin:

AdrianC
11-10-2013, 04:31 PM
I keep them pretty well fed just to ensure my smaller clown gets something. Occasionally i add a good amount of brine shrimps in. Seems to calm everyone, prolly cuz they are too engorged to really act out lol. I did try the nori on a pipe trick. Seems though only my skunk, snails, and conch seem at all interested in it lol

Also just put the mirror up so far she seems to avoid it all togther so i put it in the clowns fav spot. Lol now if i can only get my clowns to move.

hillegom
11-10-2013, 05:21 PM
When I first tried nori on a pipe with elastic band, the fish were all freaked out about the white pipe. But eventually after the first bold one started to eat, the others slowly didn't want to be left out. Took several days though. They just have to get used to it and when they do, your slow snails will only get tidbits that float and settle somewhere else.

As mentioned, the personality of fishes varies greatly. I have a coral beauty that is a pussy. The flame angel on the other hand...

AdrianC
11-10-2013, 05:33 PM
When I first tried nori on a pipe with elastic band, the fish were all freaked out about the white pipe. But eventually after the first bold one started to eat, the others slowly didn't want to be left out. Took several days though. They just have to get used to it and when they do, your slow snails will only get tidbits that float and settle somewhere else.

As mentioned, the personality of fishes varies greatly. I have a coral beauty that is a pussy. The flame angel on the other hand...

I'll keep trying the pipe on and off further. I guess i got the only bully cb. Lol maybe i should find her a bigger bully lol

The Guy
11-10-2013, 05:35 PM
I keep them pretty well fed just to ensure my smaller clown gets something. Occasionally i add a good amount of brine shrimps in. Seems to calm everyone, prolly cuz they are too engorged to really act out lol. I did try the nori on a pipe trick. Seems though only my skunk, snails, and conch seem at all interested in it lol

Also just put the mirror up so far she seems to avoid it all togther so i put it in the clowns fav spot. Lol now if i can only get my clowns to move.
Try a magnetic veggie clip I find the fish like it better off the bottom, seems to work well for me.

AdrianC
11-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Try a magnetic veggie clip I find the fish like it better off the bottom, seems to work well for me.

I tried the veggie clip with a suction cup. It waved around too much for them. Seems everyone is afraid of waving plant food but not each other lol

Alberta-newb
11-10-2013, 09:35 PM
I'll keep trying the pipe on and off further. I guess i got the only bully cb. Lol maybe i should find her a bigger bully lol

Lol, no my CB is the boss of his tank as well. He's in with a Flame Angel, Falco Hawk and a yellow tang. Everyone steers clear of him when he gets belligerent :)

I found the aggression subsided with time as they learn the pecking order, but rearranging the rock, dimming the lights and the mirror trick all help to reduce the fighting initially.

Aysha
11-11-2013, 05:25 AM
I am having similar issues, my elibi likes to beat up my FIREFISH...can't win.

The Guy
11-11-2013, 06:50 AM
I tried the veggie clip with a suction cup. It waved around too much for them. Seems everyone is afraid of waving plant food but not each other lol
That's why I use a magnetic clip they don't wave around at all.