PDA

View Full Version : Disease or deformation? (Clownfish)

mrhasan
11-10-2013, 12:54 AM
Well I bought this false perc clownfish 2 days ago and seems to have raised gills. Its eating fine but a bit slow compared to the platinum which keeps on running around. I googled it and seems like people are saying this is breeding deformation and such clownfishes end up being food for other fishes. No ammonia or water quality issue since the SPS and other fishes are doing alright. To be precise, the gills are not raised but rather L shaped (flat and then tilted in the end).

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s522/mrhasan1/DSC_9107_zpsf316f465.jpg (http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/mrhasan1/media/DSC_9107_zpsf316f465.jpg.html)

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s522/mrhasan1/DSC_9106_zps7942a8e9.jpg (http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/mrhasan1/media/DSC_9106_zps7942a8e9.jpg.html)

Would appreciate valuable inputs :)

mrhasan
11-10-2013, 02:43 AM
Ummm....no one?!

christyf5
11-10-2013, 03:03 AM
I vote deformation. Happens sometimes during the egg incubation stage (at least it does in salmon), doesn't affect respiration or health, just aesthetics. In the breeding world I would imagine its one of the more prevalent deformations, not enough of a problem to keep the fish from growing as normal (whereas a lot of other deformations affect growth or the fish are culled). Keep an eye on it but I doubt its a big deal.

mrhasan
11-10-2013, 03:11 AM
I vote deformation. Happens sometimes during the egg incubation stage (at least it does in salmon), doesn't affect respiration or health, just aesthetics. In the breeding world I would imagine its one of the more prevalent deformations, not enough of a problem to keep the fish from growing as normal (whereas a lot of other deformations affect growth or the fish are culled). Keep an eye on it but I doubt its a big deal.

Thanks for the info :D Well, honestly, um glad that I got a deformed one. This guy might have ended up in toilet if it wasn't in my tank. I hope it does great :)

christyf5
11-10-2013, 03:19 AM
Thanks for the info :D Well, honestly, um glad that I got a deformed one. This guy might have ended up in toilet if it wasn't in my tank. I hope it does great :)

He'll probably end up outliving many of your other fish. I had a wrasse like that, he was a tough old bird :wink:

mrhasan
11-10-2013, 03:22 AM
He'll probably end up outliving many of your other fish. I had a wrasse like that, he was a tough old bird :wink:

Yah...probably. I hope all my fishes outlive each other :smile: Never had good luck with fishes because of moves and outbreaks. :sad:

mrhasan
11-12-2013, 03:11 AM
Update:

The fish is actually not doing good. Its becoming thinner and thinner and very less inactive. Its now swimming vertically too. I have tried cyclopeeze, new era flake and mysis but it seems to be least interested in food and whatever it takes in spits out (even the very very small pieces). Started doing this today. No sign of ich or anything (my tank was left fallow for quite a while after the last outbreak months ago so possibly that is helping).

Any suggestion?

gregzz4
11-15-2013, 03:49 AM
It almost looks to me like burnt gills
The last time I saw this was with some freshwater fish that were subjected to chlorine from untreated tapwater, and they didn't make it
Is it on both gills, or just the left side ?

Good luck Raied

mrhasan
11-15-2013, 04:11 AM
It almost looks to me like burnt gills
The last time I saw this was with some freshwater fish that were subjected to chlorine from untreated tapwater, and they didn't make it
Is it on both gills, or just the left side ?

Good luck Raied

Its on one side actually. And as far as I know, burned gill makes the gills rise right? This one has an L shape gill, as if someone tried to pull it but failed.

It stopped eating completely the day I posted my last comment (was eating less before too). I could see it was hungry and struggling and weak. I am guessing my tank doesn't have any ich (after I did the treatment during the last outbreak) and hence no ich got it (knock on the wood). Every morning, it would come up to me when I gave food but it would just look at it and let it pass. I was feeding almost 3/4 times every day, not caring about nitrate (highly overrated skimmer + zeo) but it would just run to the food and not eat it :(

I even order $50 worth of fauna marin food to save it but its on its way and wont reach my mail till 20th. Alongside, I have to spend about 10am to 9pm everyday at university since I am writing my thesis and so didn't get time to go to LFS. Today morning, when it came to me again for food, I felt so bad that I decided to leave my thesis for the day and get it some more food to try after my afternoon meeting. So, went to concept, bought NLS pallet and brine shrimp and GUESS WHAT!!!!!!! IT ATEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgr een::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:: mrgreen:

It gobbled down those pallets like crazy. It was soooo good to see it finally ate and I could see it was feeling much better. I will start dipping the pallets in selcon from tomorrow. He IS a fighter; just like Cristy said :)

Sorry for all those melodramatic lines....I am just so excited and relieved that it ate. :redface: My sister gave it (and a platinum) as gift and she would have been devastated if it died.

reefwars
11-15-2013, 04:16 AM
Good job little buddy:)

mrhasan
11-15-2013, 04:25 AM
Good job little buddy:)

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Coralgurl
11-15-2013, 04:26 AM
Good to hear he's eating!! Funny what we prioritize for our tanks! I've done the same thing over the past couple of days! Hope he pulls through for you.

mrhasan
11-15-2013, 04:28 AM
Good to hear he's eating!! Funny what we prioritize for our tanks! I've done the same thing over the past couple of days! Hope he pulls through for you.

Thanks Sheena :smile:

About the priority...yah. First world problem I guess :razz: Over the course of last week, I was thinking of putting it to rest since I was feeling bad for it but then again, since it didn't give up, I didn't do anything other than hoping that it would it. Hope the little fishy gets well soon :)

gregzz4
11-15-2013, 04:39 AM
Great to hear it's eating again !

mrhasan
11-15-2013, 06:11 AM
Great to hear it's eating again !

Thanks Boss :D I will keep this thread updated :)

lpsreefer
11-15-2013, 06:33 AM
It's always good to ask your lfs what they feed their fish.
Glad to hear the fish is doing good.