PDA

View Full Version : 29 biocube led retrofit questions

btuck887
11-09-2013, 10:02 PM
I'm looking at getting a led kit for my 29 biocube. Not sure on the color combination. Looking for some advice from other who have installed LEDs in their cubes

Got this color combination recommended to me from rapid led. Think it may be to blue? Also would 25 LEDs be enough?

Thanks

"Hi Braxton,

Thanks for the email! If you like your tank pretty blue, you can go with about a 18-20K color temperature, which will be 15 royal blue and 9 cool white. The 24 LEDs are enough for growing all types of corals.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask!

Thanks,
Vince
Rapid LED"

Stones
11-09-2013, 10:49 PM
I did a similar LED retrofit on a 34 gallon red sea max. I used 20 x 3 watt bridgelux leds on channel 1, 12 x 3 watt bridgelux royal blue and 8 x 3 watt bridgelux blue leds on channel 2 and 4 x 3 watt green, 4 x 3 watt red, and 4 x 3 watt UV leds on channel 3. All LEDs are only being driven at 700 mA (but are dimmable) as that is the max output current of the meanwellen drivers I purchased. So in total, I used 52 leds over at 34 gallon tank.

If you are going with Cree LEDs and meanwell drivers, you should be able to get away with ~ half of the LEDs that I used so 25 would probably do the trick so long as you are driving them at close to their max current rating. You might get a more profound disco effect that way however as less leds will give you a greater distance between diodes and fewer point sources for the light to diffract when entering the water.