PDA

View Full Version : Green Tank Pics - Update

AJ_77
07-31-2002, 01:58 AM
Did you ever want to kick yourself? Today I was shopping for more of the carbon that I used awhile back, the Fluval stuff that comes in 3 bags, zeo-carb or something. (WARNING! WARNING!)

The only stuff I can find on the shelf, exactly where I found it last time, says "For FreshWater Use Only" and I cannot find my SW stuff anywhere. What gives, it was here before?? The only other is the bulk carton that reads: "Does Not Add Phosphates to Your Water." Uh-ohhh...

Holy cr@p, are you all with me? I used the phosphate-adding carbon/ammonia remover about 6-7 weeks ago, and then had a green water outbreak. That, I think, is how I had elevated phosphate levels until last week, the fuel for the outbreak. This is my theory, d-oh.

Well, I went with Jayson's advice and shut down the lights for 2 days over the weekend after running the Kent phosphate sponge. Then the 25w UV sterilizer was plugged in with a low flow-through (thanks Mitch). Yesterday, the water became noticeably more clear, and I held my breath.

Today looks like this:
http://members.shaw.ca/reefs/greentank_july30.jpg

LIVESTOCK UPDATE:
The clowns are amazingly active since it's been clearing. And hungry!
The Pipe Organ is flourishing, :D the Xenia is 2/3 there, the Colt looks a little flagged, the "Polyps from Em" are a-OK. Devil's hand, torch, and the colt self-frag bit it, though. Coraline is spreading in hundreds of tiny patches, hairy shrooms are still there, and pods are EVERYwhere. Man, those are prolific bugs - can anyone recommend a natural predator?

For all who offered support and advice, THANK YOU. I think we've turned the corner. For those who may wonder why I'm excited about this picture, check out this thread from July 16th. (http://www.canreef.com/ubb6/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000915)

I'm running some proper carbon tonight, sheesh. Another 10% water change too. What am I forgetting?? Kind of tired...

Alan ;)

EmilyB
07-31-2002, 03:10 AM
That is so super Alan :D

The clowns are out to see the world a bit, lol..

There are certain carbons better for reef tanks for sure. I mail order mine for economy. However, I rarely use it anymore, unless I frag something in the tank or whatever.

There are definitely FW products not useable in SW. I remember a LFS person once actually writing on one of my Fluval media with a felt pen....not for SW....he said so I wouldn't forget...it was the ammo carb. So...

The polyps are green button polyps and here is a great polyp site of many I want to own:

colonial polyps (http://reef.esmartweb.com/polyps.htm)

MitchM
07-31-2002, 03:15 AM
:D :D :D :D

Oh, man!....Major DOH!

Funny.

Mitch ;)

stephane
07-31-2002, 04:12 AM
:D

Troy F
07-31-2002, 07:33 PM
Glad to see it's on the mend. Pea soup does not a reef tank make smile.gif .

As for the pod population, they sort of self-regulate their numbers.

Canadian Man
08-01-2002, 04:21 AM
So much better looking Alan!

titus
08-01-2002, 11:31 PM
Hello,

Ai ya ya so you have found and isolated the problem. Yes, some carbon gives an unbelievable amount of phosphate. This happened to me back when I didn't know better and used the carbon that came with my Marineland HOT Magnum canister filter.

I'm sure your green water will go away in no time. Let us know how it goes.

Titus

AJ_77
08-02-2002, 02:33 AM
I'm sure your green water will go away in no time. Let us know how it goes.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">OK, Titus and others, happy to let you know that the problem is considerably better today.

http://members.shaw.ca/reefs/greentank_aug1.jpg

I am so happy... :rolleyes: Looks a little bare though, don't you think? I will be patient - the tank is just 4 months of age.

The only problem now, is bubble algae. Is a Sally Lightfoot the preferred solution?

Alan smile.gif

Canadian Man
08-02-2002, 03:08 AM
:eek:wow Alan, a world of diffrence from a many weeks ago.
I am glad you stayed strong and didnt give up ;)

EmilyB
08-02-2002, 03:28 AM
WOW....what the heck is that purple thing... tongue.gif :D

Doug
08-02-2002, 10:03 AM
Well that sure looks much better Alan. :D

Jack Rainville
08-02-2002, 12:10 PM
I've read that Sally Lightfoots will usually grow up to be fish killers, and sometimes will even cut unsuspecting aquarists. The only natural solution I've ever heard of for valonia is the mithrax (emerald) crab. I think though, that it's one of those hit and miss things where some people swear the moment their emerald crab hit the water it started munching on bubble algae. Others say they have 2 or 3 crabs in their tank that eat everything BUT bubble algae. It can be difficult to keep macro algae in your main tank too since they'll often chow down on that as well.

Mak
08-02-2002, 11:21 PM
Just about there... way to hang in there ;) .

BTW what happened to the Clams. Did they play a role in getting your tank back to normal?

Bob I
08-02-2002, 11:39 PM
Deb that purple thing looks very much like the Coraline covered piece of LR I provided Alan with. :D

Jack Rainville, I have had a Sally Lightfoot crab for some time, and it is a great destroyer of bubble algae. I have seen him tear at a bubble until he got it loose, and then eat it.

[ 02 August 2002, 19:42: Message edited by: Bob Ipema ]

AJ_77
08-03-2002, 03:21 AM
I should mention that the 2 clams (Gold T. max) are front and center and looking fine. They did exhibit some acclimation behaviour, as far as I can tell from the Knop book and info gleaned from the boards. They are from a "farm" that Jayson gets his from, and apparently none of his clams have had the kinds of problems that we have heard about these past few months.

Even though they seem fine, I don't think my young tank is the "optimum" environment for them. They are both available if anyone is interested, $35 each. Either that, or I have to ship them back to Wippineg, and that's just more stress on them. I would try to raise them, but they make me nervous, to be honest.

I think that they contributed to the reduction of the green water; how could they not? They were swimming in food. And they're still youngish at about 3" each; while the light was low they were feeding constantly, and now that there is adequate light they are utilizing that.

What next? I suppose they need some caring clam freaks to give them the homes they need. ;)

Any takers? smile.gif

Alan

[ 02 August 2002, 23:22: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

Bob I
08-03-2002, 12:50 PM
Is that a bit like stamp collecting used to be? They would send stamps "on approval", you bought what you wanted, and sent the rest back? :D I am of course not accusing anyone, but just curious. If you don't have green water, what do they eat? If not too difficult to feed I might get one. I will see when I get to your house today.

stephane
08-03-2002, 03:27 PM
From What I remember your tank is 7 month olds so it is mosly set so then keep the clam and let nature do is ting make you regulary water change whach your PH and add calcium that it

Reefkeeping is not a rocket science and you will alway have these board for reference so before to add any product just ask and like I said let nature do is ting. Clam and coral are more robust than a lot tink, they could aclimeted to a lot of ting the bigest stress you could give to any reef creature is to take it from the wild and import them in a bags then release it in a completly different environment (artificial light,water chemistery different food) when that living ting have past that test IMO it take a very big mistake to kill it. so dont worry your clam is even not will caught but cultured so just keep it and love it :D

AJ_77
08-03-2002, 05:59 PM
From What I remember your tank is 7 month olds... <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I looked at my tank journal - the water went in on April 7th, so we're just about at 4 months. A couple of my local reefing friends popped by today and have spoken for both clams. One left today, the other is going probably next week. Thanks to Jon and Bob for helping out. smile.gif

As cool as the clams are, I'm going to hone my husbandry skills for a while on the things I have: softies, an LPS or two, fish, invertebrates. We'll maybe look at clams again at a later date. Thanks for your advice Stephane, and thanks for providing the deals on bulbs also. :D

Jayson is catching up on you. ;)

Alan

GinKu
09-10-2002, 03:48 AM
wow thats crazy
um guess what my tank is turning green
i think it might be the lighing and plus i'm getting ditoms
today i went out and got 5 hermit crabs
6 red scarlet
seems like it's doing it's jobs
and for now i'm turning off the 2 white lights it seems like it has a yellow tint to it so until i get it change which will soon!
i will post pictures up when i get my friends dig cam