PDA

View Full Version : phosphate and adding dry rock

Chris82
11-08-2013, 03:39 AM
Can adding dry rock to an established system raise phosphate. ?

eli@fijireefrock.com
11-08-2013, 06:24 AM
yes new dry rock will raise your phosphates.
If your system is loaded with life and plenty of live rock with crazy pod population I would add 1 lb of dry to every 4 lbs of live rock in your system.
Or the safest way is curing the dry rock separately in a dark heated (82 degree) and power-head bin for 3 weeks then test and you should be fine for adding it to your system.

Koleswrath
11-08-2013, 02:00 PM
+1

Reef Pilot
11-08-2013, 02:15 PM
When I added a 2nd tank, I bought a bunch of marco dry rock and aged it for about 2 months, rinsing occasionally. I then added it to my tanks mixing 50/50 with my live rock. I did not see a phosphate spike. I was actually in progress with lowering my phosphates with GFO just before then, and it just continued until I reached zero a few months later.

So I don't think the new marco rock came with a lot of phosphates, or my aging and rinsing really helped. And it didn't take long for it to fit it (was white at first) and get covered with coralline algae.

I have read a lot on Canreef, how much people are against using dry rock. I don't really understand that, especially if it mixed with a good portion of live rock and sand.

My biggest fear at this point with my tanks is bringing in some bad pests (like flatworms). Dry rock certainly alleviates that concern.

Koleswrath
11-08-2013, 02:28 PM
I'm with you. Dry rock is perfectly fine as long as it's purged of any built up phosphates just as live rock would need to be. The ability to "dry scape" and the reduction of any pests is a huge plus.
Greg

Magickiwi
11-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Most of the rock that went into my large tank was dry rock. Buying 90+ lbs of live rock wasn't in the cards @ $10-$12/LB. Honestly I'm disappointed with how slowly the coraline is growing on the dry rock and I do have sky high phosphates.

I think my problem with phosphates was due in part to using tap water for set up and over feeding. So I don't attribute it to the dry rock.

LoJack
11-08-2013, 03:44 PM
I had phosphate leaching for about 6 months. But honestly, a 4 lb container of GFO more than makes up for the savings in rock and the lack of hitch hiker crabs haha.

I went with marco rock so it wasn't as bad as some. From what I've seen with others, Pukani is your biggest offender. I think it's worth the risk though since Pukani is possibly the sexiest rock in the industry.

Unfortunately … BRS couldn't ship it across the border … and there was nowhere to buy it when I set the tank up two years ago. I really wish I would have known about Eli selling pukani back then.

Oh well, next tank I guess

Chris82
11-08-2013, 05:05 PM
thanks for the info
cheers!