PDA

View Full Version : lf magnesium chloride in canada

carnut
11-07-2013, 11:13 PM
Okay all you flag wavers. Other then brs does anyone sell aquarium grade bulk magnesium chloride?

Thanks

whatcaneyedo
11-07-2013, 11:42 PM
I don't know about aquarium grade but I buy basic Magnesium Chloride ice melting salt from a local wholesale hardware store. Over the last few years I have used nearly 100 lbs of it on my system. Maybe someone in your area carries it too http://www.envirotechservices.com/meltdown-absolute-zero/

tang daddy
11-08-2013, 12:16 AM
^. .^
\ ¥ /

That's cray cray 100lbs is alot, you've used that much?

reefermadness
11-08-2013, 12:19 AM
I personally only ever use epsom salt USP from the drug store. I dont use a lot though and also do regular water changes so the sulphate doesnt become a problem. I basically need to dose 100ppm every 3 months. Been doing this for 3 years.

whatcaneyedo
11-08-2013, 12:24 AM
^. .^
\ ¥ /

That's cray cray 100lbs is alot, you've used that much?

I'm nearly through my second 50 lbs bag so yes. I mix it 10:1 with epson salts and add 1 cup to my weekly water change water... after a few years that really adds up.

carnut
11-08-2013, 01:01 AM
I dose 1 cup per day per 300 gallons. It keeps my mag around 1450. I find IO salt low in mag and we do weekly water changes. My mix is 7 1/4 chloride to 1/4 sufate per 2 litre of ro water.

carnut
11-08-2013, 01:02 AM
has any one tried the bailing salt mag?

Rice Reef
11-08-2013, 02:18 AM
I personally only ever use epsom salt USP from the drug store. I dont use a lot though and also do regular water changes so the sulphate doesnt become a problem. I basically need to dose 100ppm every 3 months. Been doing this for 3 years.

Good to hear that I am not the only one using Epsom salt... I think there are many people thought I was crazy for putting it in the tank.:biggrin:

thanhjenn
11-25-2013, 04:06 AM
Russell, where do you buy the mag chloride in pg?

Madreefer
11-25-2013, 04:33 AM
Amco Wholesale. 2nd and Queensway

thanhjenn
11-25-2013, 04:35 AM
Do you know what the cost is

Madreefer
11-25-2013, 04:43 AM
I don't remember. Less than $40

thanhjenn
11-25-2013, 04:56 AM
Thanks

whatcaneyedo
11-25-2013, 12:41 PM
About $30 for a 50 lbs bag.

Reef Pilot
11-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Well, I finally tracked down the distributor that supplies Amco in PG with Meltdown Absolute Zero. It is Westcan Solar Salt in Maple Ridge. Actually, they have changed the product to Safe Step Magnesium Chloride, but still supplied by EnviroTech. It is the same stuff, though, 100 percent magnesium chloride hexahydrate, and from the same source (North American Salt).

Unfortunately, they have no customers in the lower mainland that buy it, and won't sell just one bag, so would have to buy a whole skid.

whatcaneyedo
11-25-2013, 07:46 PM
Oh yeah I forgot about the renaming. Hopefully that didn't cause too much confusion. If you're still trying to find some of this stuff in January I could load up my truck when I drive down for the Vancouver Boat Show. The extra weight helps me stay on the icy highway so I wouldn't mind at all. Just pay for the cost at that time.

Reef Pilot
11-25-2013, 11:35 PM
Oh yeah I forgot about the renaming. Hopefully that didn't cause too much confusion. If you're still trying to find some of this stuff in January I could load up my truck when I drive down for the Vancouver Boat Show. The extra weight helps me stay on the icy highway so I wouldn't mind at all. Just pay for the cost at that time.
OK, thanks, I appreciate that. If I do find some here, will let you know, too. I just want one 50 lb bag. That should do me for some time.

Reef Pilot
12-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks to Russel (whatcaneyedo), I now have my own bag of Safe Step MgCl2. Yesterday, I did my 1st water change including a 500 ml dose of the MgCl2 and a 50 ml dose of MgS04 (Epsom Salts). Everything looks good today, and it raised my overall Mg by about 60 ppm to 1350 (checked before and after) which is about what I expected.

I will dose the same amount the next couple water changes (every 3 weeks) and try to raise it over 1400. If/when it gets to 1450, I will reduce the dosing amount accordingly.

Thanks again, Russel. You were a great help.

theokie
01-20-2014, 04:53 PM
I've been using SafeStep bought at Canadian Tire for the past month with no ill effects, raises my mag like it should, according to the reef calculator I use.

Have mixed up about 100 gallons of water and used it as my salt is a bit low in the Mag area. I change 2 percent, about 6 gallons a day on my system and also use a doser to add a bit extra, don't have my spreadsheet for the exact amount.

I stocked up on 4 bags, just to make sure I make it thru until next winter

bowenbowen
04-18-2014, 06:07 AM
I've been using SafeStep bought at Canadian Tire for the past month with no ill effects, raises my mag like it should, according to the reef calculator I use.

Have mixed up about 100 gallons of water and used it as my salt is a bit low in the Mag area. I change 2 percent, about 6 gallons a day on my system and also use a doser to add a bit extra, don't have my spreadsheet for the exact amount.

I stocked up on 4 bags, just to make sure I make it thru until next winter

Hey Theokie, do you use "Sifto Safe Step Nature's Power Ice Melter 22lb bag" in canadiantire? Customers bought for icemelter said it does nothing on ice melting. Thx.

gregzz4
04-18-2014, 06:27 AM
I personally only ever use epsom salt
Epsom salts are only Magnesium Sulphate
You're missing the Magnesium Chloride portion of the balance
You still need Magnesium Chloride Hex

gregzz4
04-18-2014, 06:28 AM
Canreef member/vendor TimT sells Magnesium Chloride Hexahydrate
I just bought a 10Kg bag for $39

Wheelman76
04-18-2014, 06:43 AM
Jl aquatics just started selling bulk chems , Shlobster brand

Aquattro
04-29-2014, 12:04 AM
Ok, looks like I've found this SafeStep locally. Any links on calculating dosage? Or how to add to 10:1 mixture to what amount of water change water, how often?

whatcaneyedo
04-29-2014, 12:33 AM
I personally find that adding 1 cup of 10:1 Mg salts to 15gal of water change water made with IO that I change weekly keeps my tank around 1400ppm. The reef chemistry calculator http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html works relatively well for calculating a starting point. This article might help too.

Do-It-Yourself Magnesium Supplements
for the Reef Aquarium
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/

gregzz4
04-29-2014, 12:42 AM
Brad, if it's M. C. Hexahydrate, you'll want to mix 5cups of it with 3cups Epsom salts into RO and after it's mostly dissolved top it up to 1 US gallon/3785ml
This will last you quite awhile, once your Mag is up where you want it

For dosing go to this Reef Chemistry Calculator (http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html) and select Randy's Recipes 1 and 2 versions A and B
Don't miss the top window where you add your system volume if you want the calculator to actually work :wink:

Even though you have a Calcium Reactor, info on the Recipes is here;
An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php)
It'll tell you more about the Mag portion the Recipe

Edit: I didn't realise Randy wrote a separate article just for Mag
Thanks for the link

apexifd
04-29-2014, 01:00 AM
Brad, if it's M. C. Hexahydrate, you'll want to mix 5cups of it with 3cups Epsom salts into RO and after it's mostly dissolved top it up to 1 US gallon/3785ml
This will last you quite awhile, once your Mag is up where you want it

For dosing go to this Reef Chemistry Calculator (http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html) and select Randy's Recipes 1 and 2 versions A and B
Don't miss the top window where you add your system volume if you want the calculator to actually work :wink:

Even though you have a Calcium Reactor, info on the Recipes is here;
An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php)
It'll tell you more about the Mag portion the Recipe

Edit: I didn't realise Randy wrote a separate article just for Mag
Thanks for the link

formula is different when you use calcium reactor.

gregzz4
04-29-2014, 01:05 AM
I just looked into the 10:1 bit
I'm mixing mine 10:6 so there's definately a difference

Aquattro
04-29-2014, 01:30 AM
I personally find that adding 1 cup of 10:1 Mg salts to 15gal of water change water made with IO that I change weekly keeps my tank around 1400ppm. The reef chemistry calculator http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html works relatively well for calculating a starting point. This article might help too.

Do-It-Yourself Magnesium Supplements
for the Reef Aquarium
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/

Thanks. So 3 cups in a 50g water change is a good starting point? I guess if I'm going to dump stuff in my tank, I should read all the articles, right?? :)

Aquattro
04-29-2014, 01:31 AM
I'm not using it in a reactor, just want to dump it in my water change batch. Easier that way.

Aquattro
04-29-2014, 01:33 AM
Brad, if it's M. C. Hexahydrate

No idea what the hydration is, just says MgCl on bag. Not sure the data sheet indicated either. Just regular old ice melt. I don't want to dig into the depths of my brain and calculate molecular bonds :)

gregzz4
04-29-2014, 01:56 AM
Bah, don't worry about the hydrate
I just looked into it. All it means is how much water it contains

I'd say go with your 3 cups of 10:1 for a start
Of course, you'll want to boost your current level as I recall you said it's lowish

Reef Pilot
04-29-2014, 02:31 AM
10:1 MgCl2 (SafeStep) to MgS04 (Epsom salts) dumped into my water change container. Been doing that since late last fall.

So, you finally decided to start adding Mg....

Aquattro
04-29-2014, 02:44 AM
10:1 MgCl2 (SafeStep) to MgS04 (Epsom salts) dumped into my water change container. Been doing that since late last fall.

So, you finally decided to start adding Mg....

Same amount as Russell?

And ya, thought I'd play with it, see if it matters.

Reef Pilot
04-29-2014, 02:47 AM
Yup, Russell put me onto Randy's formula, and no reason to try anything different. I initially had to raise my Mg a bit in my tank so was using 500ml MgCl2 for a couple of water changes. But now, 250ml seems to be enough. This is for a 230g system.

Aquattro
04-29-2014, 02:54 AM
Great, thanks. I get mine on Friday, so next water change will get some Mg

apexifd
04-29-2014, 03:18 AM
Great, thanks. I get mine on Friday, so next water change will get some Mg

Neh.. just shake your bucket of IO. You will get all the mg that you need.

10:1 mix or 7.25:0.75 mix for people running calcium reactor.

I use brightwell neomag(domolite) in the reactor. but since I am too weak/lazy to shake or turn my bucket of IO. I add mg mix into the nsw.

Aquattro
04-29-2014, 04:40 AM
Neh.. just shake your bucket of IO. You will get all the mg that you need.

That's where the problem is. I don't buy buckets, I buy the box. I try to drive really crazy bringing it home, but Mg is still low (I think)

KPG007
04-29-2014, 04:25 PM
Canreef member/vendor TimT sells Magnesium Chloride Hexahydrate
I just bought a 10Kg bag for $39

I can get bulk chemicals (buddy owns a chemical company) including Alk (Soda ash), Calcium chloride and mag. Mag Chloride is expensive at roughly $220 per 50 lb bag, but Mag sulfate was cheap at roughly $60 per 50lb bag.

Seriak
04-29-2014, 05:51 PM
I can get bulk chemicals (buddy owns a chemical company) including Alk (Soda ash), Calcium chloride and mag. Mag Chloride is expensive at roughly $220 per 50 lb bag, but Mag sulfate was cheap at roughly $60 per 50lb bag.

It looks like TimT is the better solution then for Mag Chloride as it would only cost 86ish for a 50lb bag. I wonder if one is pharmaceutical grade which might explain the difference.

Seriak
04-29-2014, 05:53 PM
I found that as soon as I got my Mg above 1400 I no longer got that film algae on my glass as often. Scrape once a week instead of once a day now.

whatcaneyedo
04-29-2014, 09:18 PM
Thanks. So 3 cups in a 50g water change is a good starting point? I guess if I'm going to dump stuff in my tank, I should read all the articles, right?? :)

Reading is always good and 3 cups in 50gal is conservative. Mg salts aren't nearly as potent as Calcium Chloride so although it seems like you're adding a lot it actually isn't that much. As others have indicated the Magnesium Chloride Hexahydrate actually contains a lot of water. Its also really good at absorbing even more water from the atmosphere so once you open the bag either tie off the top or move it all to a well sealed bucket or you'll be dealing with a monolithic block in no time.

TimT
04-30-2014, 06:04 AM
It looks like TimT is the better solution then for Mag Chloride as it would only cost 86ish for a 50lb bag. I wonder if one is pharmaceutical grade which might explain the difference.

My Mag is Dead Sea Works(from the Dead Sea in Israel) which is Tech grade. I have been using it for at least 3 years with no problems. While we are on the topic of USP or FCC or Tech Grade chemicals. What do you think the $35 buckets of IO salt are made from... they are too cheap to be USP grade.

Cheers,
Tim