PDA

View Full Version : Dougs Reef

Pages : [1] 2

Doug
11-05-2013, 03:19 AM
So glad to be back posting again on a regular basis. Decided to upgrade my 20g sps reef. I purchased a Fluval 3ft..50g. Beautiful silver trim. Need to do some work to make overflows work but thats fine.

Nice stand but of course has center divider brace, which is fine as I have plans for it that way.

Talking with Jeff at Lifereef to design a sump to fit in the one side. Also a VS2 or if it fits a VS3 skimmer. Plus a couple of media cylinders, again if they fit. Also purchasing one of his extremely well built calcium reactors, that connects with the installed ports in the sump.

Nick at Reef Supply Canada will be supplying the lights, Evergrow IT 2080 led,s. I already run one of their smaller units on my 20g. Plus wave making equipment.

I currently run an older Reefkeeper 2 controller. I,m going to get a full Apex for this tank. Want to be able to connect with my Iphone and Ipad.

The reason for a custom sump is to keep the divider, both for support and to keep the other side separate, for my reactor, Apex and electronics.

Using only dry rock from Eli. None of my live rock will be going in. Going to be hard enough to separate the sps from their rocks as is. I have 50lbs of Fiji cycling. Also ordered 50lbs of Pukani and 20lbs mixed branching and shelf. Not sure of the construction but should be neat. :lol:
I,m one that likes a lot of rock for my fish and not into the sparse islandy thing. I plan on adding a Potters, so she needs good rock to roam, plus my pair of manderins, once established and of course my 13yr. old percs.

I am going with some sand this time as I would really like to add a leopard wrasse, unless it interfers with the mandarins.

Going to be a slow build and cycling process. My sump and skimmer wont be ready until sometime in Feb. as he,s that busy. Thats fine with my schedule however. No hurry.

And yes, pic will be coming......:D

mrhasan
11-05-2013, 03:29 AM
Before kien takes it away...

:pop2:

Delphinus
11-05-2013, 03:29 AM
Cool, sounds like it will be a neat setup!

Doug
11-05-2013, 03:40 AM
Before kien takes it away...

:pop2:

:lol:

kien
11-05-2013, 03:50 AM
what, is that all you guys think of me?? As some sort of popcorn eating thread trollin-- nevermind. Carry on.

Also, where are the pics?

Doug
11-05-2013, 04:01 AM
what, is that all you guys think of me?? As some sort of popcorn eating thread trollin-- nevermind. Carry on.

Also, where are the pics?

No. You have the nicest pond I have ever seen..:D. Tanks just sitting here nothing done yet. Pics sometime in the near future.:lol:

Doug
11-06-2013, 04:42 AM
Bought the most important element today. A Lazyboy, rocker/recliner. Reg $1700 on sale for $899. Good enough for smack in front of the new tank. Now all I have to do is fight of the wiener dog for it. Apparently he thinks I bought it for him.

Doug
11-17-2013, 01:44 AM
So I have changed my mind somewhat on the filtration. Instead of under the stand which I dont like for several reasons, Im going remote. It will be piped through the wall into the next room which is my current office/ fishroom. Much easier to work on and I can go larger plus I can run a refugium.

Going with a Lifereef skimmer for sure and discussing a larger sump/refugium with him. Plus one of his co2 reactors, if I dont go with the Proflix doser.

Doug
11-17-2013, 01:55 AM
Tank sitting empty, only partially finished drains and no overflow divider
yet

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/th_newtank_zpsa4280112.jpg

Doug
11-17-2013, 01:56 AM
Gawd. Crappy pics from my phone. Better get my camera back out. Here is my little fresh water tank.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/th_fresh_zps359ac791.jpg

Skimmerking
11-17-2013, 02:08 AM
they are growing like a weed those bamb boos Doug.

Doug
11-17-2013, 02:11 AM
they are growing like a weed those bamb boos Doug.

Yes they are Mike. I keep them as a reminder. How ya like my tank, except crappy pic. Guess have to be closer with the iphone.

Skimmerking
11-17-2013, 02:34 AM
looks great buds really like it mine is missing a very special thing thou.

my best reef buddy

Doug
11-17-2013, 04:09 AM
looks great buds really like it mine is missing a very special thing thou.

my best reef buddy

:sad:

LoJack
11-17-2013, 01:15 PM
I really like the look of this tank with the silver trim, very modern looking.

Going with Herbie standpipes? What did you have in mind for wave making equipment?

I'll be following along with your progress

Doug
11-17-2013, 05:07 PM
I really like the look of this tank with the silver trim, very modern looking.

Going with Herbie standpipes? What did you have in mind for wave making equipment?

I'll be following along with your progress

Yes, the look is what sold me on it and very well built. Of course it came with a whole pile of other Fluval stuff I have to sell but that fine.

Not sure about the drains yet. The bulkheads were already installed and have pretty neat inserts to go through them. Of course not specifically designed to handle what we do. So I so far added the 1in. slip fitting you see on top.

If I go herbie it will limit me to the single drain which is not much larger than 3/4in. If I could get around 300 to 350gph through it from the other room then that would work. Otherwise I was going with two Duraso,s. Thats would give me at least 1.5in capacity. Was reading Rich,s site though and not sure how to Duraso type stacks would work in the same overflow compartment.

mseepman
11-17-2013, 05:21 PM
Doug so glad to have you back in the reefing game and posting. Looking forward to seeing this develop and let me know if I can help at all.

Doug
11-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Doug so glad to have you back in the reefing game and posting. Looking forward to seeing this develop and let me know if I can help at all.

Thanks Mark. I sure will.

Doug
11-17-2013, 05:35 PM
Close up of my drain stacks as they sit now.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/th_drains_zps7562591e.jpg

Madreefer
11-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Hey are you going to put a strainer of some sort on your drains? If so where did you get them?

Doug
11-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Hey are you going to put a strainer of some sort on your drains? If so where did you get them?

I,m not sure if I will. Never did on a Duraso before but if I do a bean style I will. Dont know where they sell them, perhaps MOPS. Also if you look on Rich,s site I posted on your thread, you will see the ones he sells but also very nice looking long strainers for them. I have made many but am going to order two from his site along with the strainers if thats the route I go.

The stacks pictured are only half way up

LoJack
11-17-2013, 08:29 PM
I,m not sure if I will. Never did on a Duraso before but if I do a bean style I will. Dont know where they sell them, perhaps MOPS. Also if you look on Rich,s site I posted on your thread, you will see the ones he sells but also very nice looking long strainers for them. I have made many but am going to order two from his site along with the strainers if thats the route I go.

The stacks pictured are only half way up

Bulk Reef Supply is where I got my strainers.

Bean would be nice if you're willing to drill the extra hole. I had read a lot on the Bean, and now that I've used it, I'll never go back to anything else. I ran Durso's on my last reef, but when a plug up occurred I woke up to a sopping wet floor. I like the idea of the emergency drain and back up plan, not to mention how quiet it runs without any salt creep.

Doug
11-17-2013, 08:43 PM
Bulk Reef Supply is where I got my strainers.

Bean would be nice if you're willing to drill the extra hole. I had read a lot on the Bean, and now that I've used it, I'll never go back to anything else. I ran Durso's on my last reef, but when a plug up occurred I woke up to a sopping wet floor. I like the idea of the emergency drain and back up plan, not to mention how quiet it runs without any salt creep.

Yes, I could drill another hole for sure. Left my drill kit somewhere in Brandon though so need a new one from Dan at MOPS, I guess.

I have to go read on them. If I made a 1.5. in drain pipe, which is around a 2.25in hole for bulkhead, would that be my main drain and the other two back up or why the three drains?

HaZRaTTy
11-17-2013, 08:54 PM
You plan on building an overflow box right?

Anyways if I was you I would, and just run both drains as drains and run a herbie system. I have no clue why people run bean animals I don't understand the concept over a herbie system. I have a durso right now and its a PITA.

I guess if you were to go with 3 holes in your overflow and drill another I would add the 3rd as a return. I would drill the 3rd hole to be bigger then the other 2 and use the bigger of the 3 as the emergency drain.

Doug
11-17-2013, 09:05 PM
Yes Im building an overflow box. I already have 12mm glass cut for it. Forgot one thing on drilling. I believe its all tempered, so no go on 3rd hole me thinks.

So if going herbie, then my main drain would only be 3/4in. below the tank and to the sump. I suppose ok, if I dont push a lot of water.

intarsiabox
11-17-2013, 09:16 PM
I have a durso right now and its a PITA.

What sort of problems are you having with your durso? I've been using them for 5 years on a few different tanks and have never experienced a single issue with them. Plumb it in, drill an air hole on top and you're done.

Doug
11-17-2013, 09:24 PM
What sort of problems are you having with your durso? I've been using them for 5 years on a few different tanks and have never experienced a single issue with them. Plumb it in, drill an air hole on top and you're done.

Thats what I thought. Never had a problem either and been using them since Rich first showed us on RC. I figure with two I wont have an issue with plugging up.

Of course if the flow exceeds one of the stacks and one plugs then still overflow right. Soooooooooo, if I have to keep flow at a capacity max of one duraso, then may as well do herbie........:lol:...Im going to pour a vodka

LoJack
11-17-2013, 09:26 PM
You plan on building an overflow box right?

Anyways if I was you I would, and just run both drains as drains and run a herbie system. I have no clue why people run bean animals I don't understand the concept over a herbie system. I have a durso right now and its a PITA.

Because there isn't constant adjustments like with the herbie. If my intake strainer on my pump starts plugging up with bits of chaeto and detritus, and my pump starts moving a little bit less water, the Bean self corrects for the change in water. If one of the drains gets partially plugged with a snail, or dead fish, or sheet of Nori … or any other number of things that can potentially plug a standpipe, the bean auto adjusts and allows the second drain to become full siphon, plus there is still an emergency drain in the event that both manage to plug. Not to mention, in the event of a power outage, my system starts right back up with zero fiddling around or adjusting, and runs dead silent with no salt creep.

They need to be adjusted, salt creep can cover your air hole, they're noisy, air goes into your sump causing a ton of salt creep as the air dissipates, and there is no back up in case something plugs the drain.

intarsiabox
11-17-2013, 09:27 PM
Vodka solves all tank problems!

intarsiabox
11-17-2013, 09:39 PM
They need to be adjusted, salt creep can cover your air hole, they're noisy, air goes into your sump causing a ton of salt creep as the air dissipates, and there is no back up in case something plugs the drain.

Not sure how I would ever adjust a durso, a piece of hose in the air hole prevents salt creep, never had a noise issue, my drain went into the sump water with a tee and a 90 above the water to exhaust the air so very little air went into the sump so no salt creep (probably also what made it so quiet), I still had an emergency drain for peace of mind on each system but never needed it.

LoJack
11-17-2013, 09:49 PM
The adjustment was meant for the Herbie, not the durso, my mistake. Thats a good idea for the Sump end of things, the salt creep was terrible when I ran my durso and the noise was unbearable. Good to see you put the emergency drain in. I was told I wouldn't need one when I first started in this hobby … boy were they wrong lol

intarsiabox
11-17-2013, 09:58 PM
The adjustment was meant for the Herbie, not the durso, my mistake. Thats a good idea for the Sump end of things, the salt creep was terrible when I ran my durso and the noise was unbearable. Good to see you put the emergency drain in. I was told I wouldn't need one when I first started in this hobby … boy were they wrong lol

The sump end of the pipe mod wasn't my idea but it does work. I have been lucky that the only things that went down my pipe were fish that were too small to plug anything up. I had a yellow watchman goby that was using the pipe as a water slide every day. I eventually just left him in the sump as that seemed to be his preference anyway. I know of others that have had problems with their durso's as well and with so many different configurations such as pipe size, return pumps, etc it's not going to always work for everyone.

Doug
11-17-2013, 11:41 PM
Vodka solves all tank problems!

:mrgreen: Yup.

and I,m still as confused as ever.:lol:

Doug
11-17-2013, 11:47 PM
OK, I,m not drilling so its two stacks. Of course they can be whatever size, but my drains underneath are 3/4in. no matter what, although I will run 1.25in. drain pipes to the sump.

So its two Duraso or the one berbie. :lol:

Did I not make a good point before? If running both as Duraso, the return flow needs to be handled by one, right? If not and one plugs then we have problems. So thus, may as well run herbie? And limited the return to whatever a 3/4in drain can handle?

I will have a bazzillion gph in the tank from Vortechs so thats not a problem.

HaZRaTTy
11-17-2013, 11:57 PM
I just dislike the Durso having 2 tanks with a Herbie then me foolishly switching to a Durso I don't know why I ever changed.

In theory if you have a bigger emergency drain then your main drain you should never have a problem.. also if you leave it long enough that both clog from some magic reason then I suppose you just maintain everything a little better.

I see no potential problems from a herbie, but I see a lot and have read a lot from the Bean animal just my opinion.

As for why I don't like my durso there's a few reasons. No matter what I do via standpipe, hole drilled and overflow water box height I still can hear it.

This overflow is setup with one 1 durso standpipe which makes me weary (Like I said before I don't even want to know what's clogging a 1.5 diameter of pvc but I guess it happens)

intarsiabox
11-18-2013, 12:05 AM
This overflow is setup with one 1 durso standpipe which makes me weary (Like I said before I don't even want to know what's clogging a 1.5 diameter of pvc but I guess it happens)

I have seen large turbo snails clog up pipes before, a strainer would keep them out but then you would have to keep the strainer clear all the time.

Doug
11-18-2013, 12:51 AM
I just dislike the Durso having 2 tanks with a Herbie then me foolishly switching to a Durso I don't know why I ever changed.

In theory if you have a bigger emergency drain then your main drain you should never have a problem.. also if you leave it long enough that both clog from some magic reason then I suppose you just maintain everything a little better.

Both are the same size. It its what comes out of the bulkhead no matter what size pipes I have above or below. I do like your suggestion, as long as I can get enough sump flow with a single 3/4 in. line

As for why I don't like my durso there's a few reasons. No matter what I do via standpipe, hole drilled and overflow water box height I still can hear it.

I could always hear mine a bit to but not bad

Mine was also a single 1.5. Never had a problem

LoJack
11-18-2013, 12:59 AM
In your situation the Herbie is probably the best bet. Because I think you're right, if you went with dual Durso's, you would need them small enough that each could handle all of the flow single handedly in case of a blockage on one of the standpipes.

I would say just definitely make sure you have strainers on both standpipes, and be diligent about keeping them clean lol

HaZRaTTy
11-18-2013, 01:02 AM
Yup darn noise durso!

When I ran my herbie I had a strainer on my main drain and had the other open. I the year I had the herbie I never had to clean the strainer once? I will add I never had a HA problem either. I diligently checked it on water change day but had no build up.

Good luck man, sorry for the Herbie/Durso war. :mrgreen:

Doug
11-18-2013, 01:36 AM
Great input guys. Thanks so much. I think the herbie makes the most sense, because of what we discussed. Perhaps I will get a DC return pump and just run what I can get in the one line. But pretty sure I will go herbie now and yes I will get strainers.

Thanks again.

Skimmerking
11-18-2013, 01:40 AM
don't forget to make a fake over flow to hide the pipes

Doug
11-18-2013, 01:48 AM
Whats that Mike? I have 12mm glass cut to do my overflow and going to build a rock wall over the complete overflow instead of black acrylic..seeing as how I have enough rock to do a 200g tank. LOL.

LoJack
11-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Yup darn noise durso!

When I ran my herbie I had a strainer on my main drain and had the other open. I the year I had the herbie I never had to clean the strainer once? I will add I never had a HA problem either. I diligently checked it on water change day but had no build up.

Good luck man, sorry for the Herbie/Durso war. :mrgreen:

Thats the only thing I've ever had to clean out of mine. I get no algae in my tank, because I've got a handful of algae eaters that don't ever let it get a foot hold and my phosphates are usually just above zero, however, in the coast to coast overflow itself where there are no fish or snails, I get some green hair algae, and when it decides to let go ... it usually partially blocks the strainer.

Having that secondary pipe comes in super handy here though, and will on your setup as well Doug ... the bit of extra flow if a strainer becomes partially blocked is easily handled by the second drain, allowing you a safety net until you have an opportunity to notice it and get it cleaned out.

Doug
11-18-2013, 07:40 PM
I should have just bought Denny,s when I was in Calgary and been done with it.....:lol:

Doug
11-18-2013, 07:52 PM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/th_056f6825-fc2d-481e-b274-5c10bbdcc2dc_zps53056be8.jpg?t=1385182423http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/th_bulkhead1_zps5fed66df.jpg

Ha Ha. Now I do a Dubeherbie gurgle buster or something...:lol:

So I borrowed a bit for a 1in bulkhead. So dull it took me an hour but all good, except little scratch from start up and tiny flake out on the outside. I was going to do another but cant got through that again. Im still shaking...:lol:

I now have a 1in. and two 3/4 in. Should be able to do something with that, no?

Doug
11-23-2013, 03:38 AM
I have the new drilled bulkhead out the back done with a 1in. duraso type stack as shown for the bean overflow. This will be my main flow stack. One of the 3/4in, will have the Duraso style but just a hair higher and with the air tube assembly. The third is a straight 1in stack and the highest as an emergency flow. Of course as mentioned before its still only a 3/4in through the bottom.

Finished my over flow glass.It will be topped with eggcrate as all my tanks have always been.

Pics this weekend. Bought 2 more lengths of 1 in. pipe and a length of 3/4 in for the return. AND $80 worth of elbows, valve, unions and the such. :lol:

StirCrazy
11-23-2013, 05:03 AM
Pics this weekend. Bought 2 more lengths of 1 in. pipe and a length of 3/4 in for the return. AND $80 worth of elbows, valve, unions and the such. :lol:

you need to snoop throught my fitting bins befor you buy stuff :mrgreen:

Steve

Doug
11-26-2013, 01:07 AM
you need to snoop throught my fitting bins befor you buy stuff :mrgreen:

Steve

I already bought it.

Doug
11-26-2013, 01:13 AM
I knew I should have taken those stupid black bulkheads out that came with tank. The only fitting they take is the back ones shown in my pic. Where the white pvc is attached to go to one inch must have a small leak in both pipes. Now thats no to bad. Its into the drains. But drains my overflow chamber down to that connection, slowly, which is about half way.

If I pull them, its to hard to put non metric standard white pcv in to the bulkheads. Not even a threaded on the bottom side, just flush, so has to go inside the pipe.

In order to pull those bulkheads I have to cut my overflow glass back out. What a PITA that is. But may be better to do now than possible problems later.

Whatcha think?

Doug
11-26-2013, 04:22 AM
So asI posted on my how to redo bulkhead thread. Overflow is removed. All three bulkheads removed. Now to clean it up and DO IT RIGHT. :D

I tried my 1 in bulkhead in the factory holes. Just a bit large. Guess 3/4in is next. Thats ok though as the factory one was same size but at least now it will be properly done.

Doug
11-27-2013, 03:32 AM
See here,

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=102694

and here.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=102669

for updates.......:lol:

Doug
11-28-2013, 11:51 PM
Only update I have..Notice the blood that left..:lol: This is the access from my fishroom/office to the living room where the tank is. That blue line is my Shaw cable. Had to be careful around it. Of course its the same freakin spot.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/31929296-fcc7-4559-aa64-9c0042f7b9d1_zps1adcd56c.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/31929296-fcc7-4559-aa64-9c0042f7b9d1_zps1adcd56c.jpg.html)

Doug
11-29-2013, 03:20 AM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01825_zps691736fc.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01825_zps691736fc.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01785.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01785.jpg.html)

Doug
11-29-2013, 03:21 AM
These were grown with cheapy leds...And of course my tender loving care..:D

gqlmao
11-29-2013, 03:27 AM
Wow... I can only imagine what that would look like if you had some nice T-5s!:mrgreen: Hope that poll ends in that direction.

These were grown with cheapy leds...And of course my tender loving care..:D

Doug
11-29-2013, 03:42 AM
Wow... I can only imagine what that would look like if you had some nice T-5s!:mrgreen: Hope that poll ends in that direction.

:lol: And just blue/white, none of the red/green controllable stuff

Doug
12-02-2013, 01:27 AM
:heh:

FragCave
12-02-2013, 02:30 AM
Only update I have..Notice the blood that left..:lol: This is the access from my fishroom/office to the living room where the tank is. That blue line is my Shaw cable. Had to be careful around it. Of course its the same freakin spot.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/31929296-fcc7-4559-aa64-9c0042f7b9d1_zps1adcd56c.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/31929296-fcc7-4559-aa64-9c0042f7b9d1_zps1adcd56c.jpg.html)

Now your tank has your DNA so is like part of you:mrgreen:..Keep it up and load more pictures:typing::typing::typing:

JDigital
12-02-2013, 02:37 AM
Looks good Doug.. keep the pitchers coming. :wink:

Doug
12-02-2013, 02:41 AM
Ha, thanks Alex. I should take a pic of those holes now. They have nice square finishing fittings around them. Actually look pretty good for a hole in the wall.

I await all my redo parts from Dan @ MOPS and from Ray @ Reef Supplies. New drill bit, all new bulkheads and fittings, proper reef safe silicone. And have my new glass cut for a little larger overflow.

Doug
12-02-2013, 02:43 AM
Looks good Doug.. keep the pitchers coming. :wink:

Thanks Josh. Need parts now. I should have just pulled the plug and bought yours when you were thinking of selling it. I was close a couple times. :smile:

JDigital
12-02-2013, 03:38 AM
Thanks Josh. Need parts now. I should have just pulled the plug and bought yours when you were thinking of selling it. I was close a couple times. :smile:

You would have saved my a ton of headaches and lost $$ if you would have pulled the trigger! :lol:

Doug
12-02-2013, 04:47 PM
The stews a cooking..:lol:
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/rock_zps3063f4ea.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/rock_zps3063f4ea.jpg.html)

mrhasan
12-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Mmm... Looks delicious. I hope its spicy; I like spicy stew!

The stews a cooking..:lol:
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/rock_zps3063f4ea.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/rock_zps3063f4ea.jpg.html)

Doug
12-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Mmm... Looks delicious. I hope its spicy; I like spicy stew!

Ha,ha. I added some skimmate. Thats kind of spicy.:mrgreen:

mrhasan
12-02-2013, 06:48 PM

Nah! That would make it all salty!!!!!! I pass :razz:

Doug
12-03-2013, 02:04 AM
New bit and plumbing arrived today. Back to work..........or kaplooie and get a new tank....:lol:

Also got a Pinpoint wireless thermometer with two wireless sensors. Ever kool.

mrhasan
12-03-2013, 02:15 AM
New bit and plumbing arrived today. Back to work..........or kaplooie and get a new tank....:lol:

Also got a Pinpoint wireless thermometer with two wireless sensors. Ever kool.

Remember: CUT THE PIPES NOT YOURSELF :razz:

Madreefer
12-03-2013, 02:17 AM

Why would you do that?

Doug
12-03-2013, 02:21 AM
Remember: CUT THE PIPES NOT YOURSELF :razz:

Ha, ha. Oh ya. I try be a little more careful this time. :smile:

Why would you do that?

Helping the rock cycle.

Madreefer
12-03-2013, 02:25 AM
I've never heard of that. Is this just an expirement your trying or?

Doug
12-03-2013, 02:56 AM
I following Eli,s sure fire rock curing procedure.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=102769

Then Im hoping the bacteria stay alive while I build my reef, which will take time as I want the rock structure nice. Perhaps if I keep it wet with towels.

Plus Im doing some my way by adding Prodibio start up after I move it to the tank.

Madreefer
12-03-2013, 03:27 AM
Hmmm all new to me. I just read that thread. Hopefully it all works great for you.

Doug
12-07-2013, 05:31 AM
What a pleasure drilling with a new bit in comparison to a worn out one. Night & day. Punched another rear drain like nothing. Bulkheads in, now to add the stacks and then build the overflow....................again.

lastlight
12-07-2013, 07:24 AM
and all without severing any limbs hopefully!

Doug
12-07-2013, 04:04 PM

:mrgreen:

Doug
12-09-2013, 06:28 PM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/drains2_zps56bff450.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/drains2_zps56bff450.jpg.html)
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/drains1_zpsbbab3cb0.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/drains1_zpsbbab3cb0.jpg.html)

New drains installed. Emergency on left, next 2nd drain w/air feed, {not yet finished}, next is the main drain stack and last on right is 3/4in. return.

Doug
12-09-2013, 06:35 PM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01846_zps3f1f5368.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01846_zps3f1f5368.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01847_zps71b6a3c7.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01847_zps71b6a3c7.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01848_zpsfd6e39fc.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01848_zpsfd6e39fc.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01849_zps335b94bb.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01849_zps335b94bb.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01850_zps8d601cbf.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01850_zps8d601cbf.jpg.html)

Some of my order from Alex at Frag Cave.....:D

Doug
12-09-2013, 06:36 PM

I did a little boo boo on my thumb, same hand. Not bad though..:lol:

Delphinus
12-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Oooh, clammy goodness. :) Nice!

Doug
12-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Ya, there goes my kids inheritance....:lol:

eli@fijireefrock.com
12-09-2013, 08:01 PM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01846_zps3f1f5368.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01846_zps3f1f5368.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01847_zps71b6a3c7.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01847_zps71b6a3c7.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01848_zpsfd6e39fc.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01848_zpsfd6e39fc.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01849_zps335b94bb.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01849_zps335b94bb.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01850_zps8d601cbf.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01850_zps8d601cbf.jpg.html)

Nice selection but you need to stop your impulse buying until you setup your system and get it up to par :biggrin: cause your making me jealous :twised: as I stopped buying any live stock until my system is up...

Doug
12-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Nice selection but you need to stop your impulse buying until you setup your system and get it up to par :biggrin: cause your making me jealous :twised: as I stopped buying any live stock until my system is up...

HaHa. I cant help myself. Late night wine..:lol: But in the end a very good purchase from a great place. :biggrin:

Im waiting for that rock to stew.

Doug
12-11-2013, 02:43 AM
Some of my 20g, awaiting the new tank. This is a golden yellow stag, although not shown great under current lighting. Its pretty special to me. It was given to us by Ben, {chemmaster, on here}, before they left to go overseas. The piece I had was given away but my friend had a little frag left and gave it to me. So far this is how its grown.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01859_zpsca6b9dac.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01859_zpsca6b9dac.jpg.html)

My new baby wrasse,

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01858_zpsb207cc4d.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01858_zpsb207cc4d.jpg.html)

Another of the wrasse and a cup coral I have had for a few years .

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01856_zpsd824ddb9.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01856_zpsd824ddb9.jpg.html)

Miss mandarin, checking out one of the wrasses two beds..

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01855_zps5dc3c7fd.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01855_zps5dc3c7fd.jpg.html)

:lol: Her name is Mandy. My granddaughter named her.

And of course my now 13yr. old percs run the show in that tank. Well except for that huge urchin they keep trying to get out of their home.

And I have my overflow glass now installed, still clamped and drying though.

Doug
12-11-2013, 02:50 AM
Oh the heck with it. Tilt your head sideways for the first one....:lol:

I edited the @$%^&*, things and resized them. Posted and they are original. Went back, checked them all, edited my post and same freakin thing. Time to fins a new place for hosting.

LoJack
12-11-2013, 04:14 AM
Doug is that the Ben that was living in Winnipeg? I have a few corals from him as well if it's the same guy lol. Small world.

I gotta get me one of them wrasses … thats some sharp colour

Doug
12-11-2013, 05:48 AM
Yes same guy from Winnipeg. Lived out by the airport. I use to buy all my supplies form him also.

I have always liked the yellow wrasse and when I seen this young one in the store I could not resist him/her. Very active and beautiful. Eats everything I feed, including flakes. Even the 3 bangaii I bought eat flakes. Thats a first for me.

Doug
12-11-2013, 05:49 AM
AND, howcome my pics are right now?????

gqlmao
12-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Wow o wow, 3 clams in one shot?:mrgreen: I can only think of what is going to come!

kien
12-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Nice clams Doug!

Doug
12-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks guys.

Howcome nobody comments on my two stack pics. :sad: Did I do it this time..

gqlmao
12-11-2013, 07:41 PM
What stack pics are you referring to? What are stacks?:redface: BTW is that a cali tort I spy beside the clam?

Doug
12-11-2013, 07:45 PM
What stack pics are you referring to? What are stacks?:redface: BTW is that a cali tort I spy beside the clam?

Page 8. Not sure which one. All 3 are from Frag Cave. Two are Bonsai acro,s and the other is a Blue Cali tort yes.

JDigital
12-12-2013, 02:45 AM
Is Mandy eating Mysis (or frozen)?

Nice pics though! You will love the wrasse!

Doug
12-12-2013, 03:04 AM
Is Mandy eating Mysis (or frozen)?

Nice pics though! You will love the wrasse!

I have not seen her pick up mysis yet but she may be. I have I seen her eating the pellets.

Doug
12-12-2013, 03:06 AM
Nice clams Doug!

:mrgreen:

FragCave
12-12-2013, 01:05 PM

Fantastic:mrgreen:

Doug
12-12-2013, 03:10 PM
Agreed Alex

Aquattro
12-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Page 8.

Pages don't work, I only have 5 pages in this thread. It depends on your resolution. What is the post number?

Doug
12-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Pages don't work, I only have 5 pages in this thread. It depends on your resolution. What is the post number?

Post #77 Brad.

Not going to post anymore build pics if everyone just wants to look at my clam and wrasse.............:laugh:

LoJack
12-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Post #77 Brad.

Not going to post anymore build pics if everyone just wants to look at my clam and wrasse.............:laugh:

Nice lol

Any updates Doug?

Doug
12-17-2013, 12:03 AM
I have been waiting for someone to comment on my stacks, if they are correct this time......:lol:

Delphinus
12-17-2013, 01:15 AM
What was incorrect about them before? (I can't see anything wrong with them..)

Doug
12-17-2013, 01:44 AM
What was incorrect about them before? (I can't see anything wrong with them..)

Just the first time, I used the stock crap that came with the tank and drilled one more hole. This time I drilled another and used all proper bulkheads and pipes

Doug
12-17-2013, 01:50 AM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/drains2_zps56bff450.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/drains2_zps56bff450.jpg.html)
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/drains1_zpsbbab3cb0.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/drains1_zpsbbab3cb0.jpg.html)

New drains installed. Emergency on left, next 2nd drain w/air feed, {not yet finished}, next is the main drain stack and last on right is 3/4in. return.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/001_zpsf5293582.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/001_zpsf5293582.jpg.html)

Eggcrate guard just sitting there, plus some going on right hand return side

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/002_zpsc0f222fe.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/002_zpsc0f222fe.jpg.html)

Main drain with gate valve. Secondary with ball valve. 3/4 in return on bottom and 3/4in going to 1 in. emergency line beside it. Both are 3/4in valved in side...just in case. Lots of unions, inside and out.

StirCrazy
12-17-2013, 02:27 AM
you know I was off all day and on the north shore, could have given ya a hand.

Steve

Doug
12-17-2013, 02:31 AM
you know I was off all day and on the north shore, could have given ya a hand.

Steve

I did it on the weekend. Today was dentist day......:spit:But thank you. Maybe on trying to landscape day whenever that will be. I put coffee on. Or CRM

StirCrazy
12-17-2013, 02:32 AM
I did it on the weekend. Today was dentist day......:spit:

ahh what day s it tomorrow?

Steve

Doug
12-17-2013, 02:38 AM
Cleaning lady day

StirCrazy
12-17-2013, 04:40 AM
Cleaning lady day

hmm.. I tell that to my wife to :mrgreen:

eli@fijireefrock.com
12-17-2013, 05:12 AM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/001_zpsf5293582.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/001_zpsf5293582.jpg.html)

Eggcrate guard just sitting there, plus some going on right hand return side

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/002_zpsc0f222fe.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/002_zpsc0f222fe.jpg.html)

Main drain with gate valve. Secondary with ball valve. 3/4 in return on bottom and 3/4in going to 1 in. emergency line beside it. Both are 3/4in valved in side...just in case. Lots of unions, inside and out.

this is what I think of your pluming stack...correct me if I got it wrong:biggrin:
As long as your emergency drain in higher than both drains,that is good.
your main drain should and looks like it is lower than than your secondary drain and I don't see air intake to it a it needs it unless its fully opened.
your return line when ready I would face it flowing towards the lengh of your tank as one blow or a spray bar style hoovering almost under your water main tank.
Silicone work looks sloppy:biggrin: hoping its good with no leeks.
Union on main drain is useless if adjustments is needed when testing.
I would have use gate valves never ball valves as they are really pain to work with.
Last is test your lines by filling the tank and test for leeks and proper drains.

Now can I see more of your clams:question::biggrin:

Doug
12-17-2013, 02:49 PM
this is what I think of your pluming stack...correct me if I got it wrong:biggrin:

[quote]
As long as your emergency drain in higher than both drains,that is good.
your main drain should and looks like it is lower than than your secondary drain and I don't see air intake to it a it needs it unless its fully opened.

Emergency drain is highest. Yes main is the lowest and it is not suppose to have the air. It runs full, controlled by the gate valve. Its set so a trickle flows in the secondary. If the water level reaches the end of the air tube., then then secondary also goes to full flow.

your return line when ready I would face it flowing towards the lengh of your tank as one blow or a spray bar style hoovering almost under your water main tank.

Thats the plan Eli.

Silicone work looks sloppy:biggrin: hoping its good with no leeks.

Yup I do the most sloppy silicone work on earth. It was done proper at first, then I add a second layer over it all to protect it. None of it will be seen , so dont care about the look. Not that I wont this time...:lol:, but never had a leak in 30yrs.

Union on main drain is useless if adjustments is needed when testing.
I would have use gate valves never ball valves as they are really pain to work with.

I dont understand why the union is useless. Its there to separate the long drain pipes that go through the wall, so I can repair of move the tank out if needed. Plus I can change the horizontal angle of the pipes. I do have a gate valve on the main drain. Thats the only one needing adjustment and why I went with the gate instead of ball. The other ball valves only purpose is to shut the lines off for service work or something.

Last is test your lines by filling the tank and test for leeks and proper drains.

Now can I see more of your clams:question::biggrin:

Yup, I will be doing testing for sure. Thanks Eli.

kien
12-17-2013, 03:13 PM
You've got an interesting stadium rim on your tank. Can't say I've ever seen that before.

Doug
12-17-2013, 03:28 PM
You've got an interesting stadium rim on your tank. Can't say I've ever seen that before.

Its a Fluval tank design. I kind of liked the full silver trim. Its different and looks pretty good. A very nice looking tank overall and on at half price. Well for them. :smile:

I think in the long run I still should have had Concepts just build me one.:smile:

Because it was predrilled on the bottom, my overflow is on the viewing side, instead of the inside wall side. And as Eli said, sloppy work, but as I said, functional. It would be nice to have an external on that far end, facing the wall the pipes are running through.

Hmm, still time I guess. :D

eli@fijireefrock.com
12-17-2013, 05:07 PM
Something for you to think about...not trying to make you spend more money or that...:biggrin:

My main tank overflow box is on the one side right in The middle as it gave me about 8inches on both sides of it and it bothers me at the beginning (less room for swimming and really hated viewing the overflow box)from a guy that likes to cover all the back and sides with rock work...
It bothered me so much over the years that at last decided instead of fixing the tank by moving the overflow box....just build another tank to my specification :biggrin:

Trying to tell if anything is bothering you now about your tank. .then fix it otherwise it will haunt you later on...

Doug
12-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Something for you to think about...not trying to make you spend more money or that...:biggrin:

My main tank overflow box is on the one side right in The middle as it gave me about 8inches on both sides of it and it bothers me at the beginning (less room for swimming and really hated viewing the overflow box)from a guy that likes to cover all the back and sides with rock work...
It bothered me so much over the years that at last decided instead of fixing the tank by moving the overflow box....just build another tank to my specification :biggrin:

Trying to tell if anything is bothering you now about your tank. .then fix it otherwise it will haunt you later on...

Only way to fix it, is to have a new one built to fit the stand. I dont think I can cut the glass and do an external on this model. But you're correct. Its bothering me where it is and that the only orientation for the tank in the living room.

Maybe I better call Denny..:smile:

Doug
12-20-2013, 03:55 AM
So Jeff finishes second on X factor to some karaoke singers, so I made myself feel better by spending a pile more money on my tank....:lol:

Surprise...:lol:

Doug
12-20-2013, 03:57 AM
:crazy:

By the way......................I think Im certifiable.

nrosdal
12-20-2013, 05:01 AM
:crazy:

By the way......................I think Im certifiable.

Agreed :biggrin:

Doug
12-20-2013, 05:51 AM
Agreed :biggrin:

Aww yea but you benefit from it. I also ordered more corals while at it..:lol:

nrosdal
12-20-2013, 05:54 AM
haha, i cant wait to see all of this come together.

Doug
12-20-2013, 06:03 AM
I cant wait for you to come for coffee.

and yes, if the finished product is anything like the build up to it, should be nice but sometimes things dont live up to expectations ..:lol:

Doug
12-20-2013, 06:10 AM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/lg_LF1-300S_zps325d702d.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/lg_LF1-300S_zps325d702d.jpg.html)

This is a pic of my sump being built with a few changes, including the 30in. skimmer.
I changed from the smaller modlel and cancelled my refugium and will use my 30g instead, as mentioned before. Also switching from the Mag 12 return to a RLSS DC 6000 from Nick at Reef Supply Canada. My skimmer will stay on the Mag 12 for now. I am hoping to feed my reactor and refuge from the 6000 also.

Doug
12-20-2013, 06:18 AM
This is Jeff,s nano reactor. I was getting this one but went with a larger model, same design though.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/LCR_Nano_zpsc50fcb02.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/LCR_Nano_zpsc50fcb02.jpg.html)

Doug
12-20-2013, 06:24 AM
My lighting...............well...thats another story for another day...:D

Doug
12-21-2013, 03:15 AM
OK. Real exciting news. I filled the overflow with water and tested everything. Works perfect...no leaks. :twitch:

Sigh.......:lol:

Doug
12-27-2013, 11:05 AM
My actual sump, nearing completion.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/PICsump_zps82ae08ee.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/PICsump_zps82ae08ee.jpg.html)

Skimmerking
12-27-2013, 02:22 PM
Looks really good Doug. Hey shoot me a text my phone died and I have a iPhone again. Ok

Doug
12-27-2013, 04:54 PM
You & your phones....:lol:

Doug
12-31-2013, 08:54 PM
Corals and blue Maxima from Canada Corals.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01868_zps40f6f4f5.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01868_zps40f6f4f5.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01869_zpsdc83cb64.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01869_zpsdc83cb64.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01870_zps4c837b3c.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01870_zps4c837b3c.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01871_zpsa5f652e8.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01871_zpsa5f652e8.jpg.html)

eli@fijireefrock.com
12-31-2013, 09:13 PM
Nice selection of coals and a lovely clam you got there..

Doug
01-01-2014, 12:44 AM
Thanks Eli. Soon time to piece together some type of reef formation though. My frag tub is right full....:D

Skimmerking
01-01-2014, 12:57 AM
Nice clam Doug

Doug
01-01-2014, 01:21 AM
Hey Mikey..My two blue crocea,s are nice but the blue in the maxima is stunning.

Thus the price I guess......:lol:

Figured being the lps guy you are, my chalice pieces would be nice to......:D

LoJack
01-05-2014, 05:09 PM
Any updates Doug?

Doug
01-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Any updates Doug?

No tank work recently. Need to get some drive back. What I have done is shut down the frag tub and 20g.....setting up my 30g. Scrubbed rock for 3hrs. yesterday. OUCH !!!!!!!

Put clean, {for now}, rock back into 30g, tubs of everything all over the place. Today I put my clowns, bangaii and mandarin back into the 30. No sign of my last striped damsel, {the only one to survive}. "sigh".

Placed an eggcrate {or diffuser for Bill, :lol:}, across the top of all the rock. Now all my frags and clams spread out on it. Hopefully thats better for all stock until my 50 is running.

I barely had room across the whole 30in. for all my frags and clams..:lol:

I will take a pic of it all when I,m done. Still half a days work to do. On a whiskey break right now...:mrgreen:

Doug
01-05-2014, 09:39 PM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01873_zpsa4c088e1.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01873_zpsa4c088e1.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01872_zps39f818f1.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01872_zps39f818f1.jpg.html)

LoJack
01-05-2014, 10:14 PM
you got some pretty good looking livestock there

Madreefer
01-05-2014, 10:21 PM
Those are some nice clams. Have they attached themselves to what they're sitting on?

Doug
01-06-2014, 02:02 AM
you got some pretty good looking livestock there

Just need to keep them healthy now until their new home is ready. See those two small frags on far right. They bleached for some reason. Not sure if they will come back.

Those are some nice clams. Have they attached themselves to what they're sitting on?

Yes they are. Three are on pieces of travertine and the baby maxima on the frag disc it came on.

Doug
01-06-2014, 02:05 AM
I sure hope the bubble algae takes its time growing back and stays of my frags and their tiles. You would not believe how much I scrubbed from those rocks.

If that happens to my new rock in my 50g................I QUIT. :D

Doug
01-12-2014, 05:54 PM
Tanks all landscaped. And no sand. Or eggcrate...:lol:

Most likely to much rock for all the twig reef designs...:lol: I assume my fishies will love it though.

I cycled it for almost a month in the closed tub but now I see its cycling again after the build. Tank is covered to keep the light from the rock for now. Pretty high phosphates coming from it, so using lots of GFO.

LoJack
01-12-2014, 06:21 PM
Tanks all landscaped. And no sand. Or eggcrate...:lol:

Most likely to much rock for all the twig reef designs...:lol: I assume my fishies will love it though.

I cycled it for almost a month in the closed tub but now I see its cycling again after the build. Tank is covered to keep the light from the rock for now. Pretty high phosphates coming from it, so using lots of GFO.

I did a fairly minimalist aquascape this time around because I really liked the open look in the tank and just a really nice mountain-scape with arches. Looks more like an archipelago. However, when I do my next build … I am going to focus more on hiding places for the fish.

While I love the look of my hardscape, it's very difficult to add new fish, and to keep peppermints away from my hawkfish and butterfly without them getting eaten. There just isn't enough hiding places in my tank at all.

Doug
01-13-2014, 03:44 AM
Mine started out with good intentions. :lol:. Just kept putting beautiful pieces of Pukani in place. Ok thats enough. Hmmmm, bet this one will go nicely there. :lol:

Then I forgot my clowns pvc home. Had to pull one side apart and redo it. After 13yrs living in a pcv pipe, I cant deny it for them.

To bad I have 4 clams now, because a small angel would love my rockwork. I guess as I have no sand and lots of rock, my though of 3 orchid dottybacks is still a goal.

And I did a no no the other day. Could not resist a tiny 1in. baby tomini at the store. Im hoping as its never really know the ocean and they stay smaller, that it will adapt to my 3ft. tank ok. It will have a better home with me than with many, with larger tanks, as my fish are always my priorities.

However, Im prepared to do the Brad system of catch and removal if needed and will rehome to a large tank.

I will take a pic of my rockwork, as long as everyone dont tell me its to much. :lol:

Doug
01-13-2014, 03:47 AM
And did you know eggcrate grows cyno. What the H. The grid in the picture holding all my corals is just covered in the stringy crap. I have never had cyno, except on a sandbed once a long time ago.

Like everyone else, no matter how much I clean it or pound it with current, no use.

Why would it just grow on there. I cant speak.

StirCrazy
01-13-2014, 12:50 PM
I will take a pic of my rockwork, as long as everyone dont tell me its to much. :lol:

no such thing as to much, that was just started by the people who couldn't afford to buy rock :mrgreen:

Aquattro
01-13-2014, 02:41 PM

If you even think it's too much, it's too much :)

Doug
01-13-2014, 04:47 PM
If you even think it's too much, it's too much :)

Oh, I know its to much. But its nice. :mrgreen:

Doug
01-15-2014, 02:42 AM
Now thats a skimmer.....:D

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/skimmer_zps06eeedfd.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/skimmer_zps06eeedfd.jpg.html)

mseepman
01-15-2014, 03:21 AM
Interesting choice Doug. You a long time beliver in these or a new convert?

Doug
01-15-2014, 03:43 AM
I have been a fan of the company, almost since he started 30yrs ago but never bought anything until now. Its the superb quality of his work I wanted, plus the skimmer skims as well as anything out there.

I was going to go with a BK, but for the same price US dollars of course, I got the sump and skimmer. Of course my end cost is more with the border charges and UPS, sticking it to me.

That should clean my 50g.....:lol:

I cancelled my reactor, even though his are one of the best on the market. Just getting to costly across border. Bloody shame. I may still go with one but looking into the ones Nick carries instead.

I almost went with a Proflix and the sale they had on the balling system but cant find one that I can order. So back to a co2 reactor.

brotherd
01-15-2014, 05:05 AM
Very nice skimmer you have there!

Doug
01-15-2014, 03:55 PM
Very nice skimmer you have there!

Thanks. Not as large as yours though. I had to go check your build. I thought you had Lifereef gear...:mrgreen: I originally had the 24in. coming but switched to 30in. and the larger 8in cup.

Same sump. :smile: Also was getting the refugium, but have a nice 30g I will drill and use instead. Shipping was just getting to much. And I still like his co2 reactor.

I see you got all 3 filter cylinders. I have two coming but cant figure out what to use a third for. Plus being a down flow, reg gfo cant be used? Are you going to use Brightwell. Im going to try my reg and see if it packs to much in the downflow.

Currently going to use a Mag12 on skimmer and return but may switch to DC pumps for both eventually.

StirCrazy
01-15-2014, 11:36 PM
I cancelled my reactor, even though his are one of the best on the market. Just getting to costly across border. Bloody shame. I may still go with one but looking into the ones Nick carries instead.

we'll have to have coffee, I have a 3/4 finished reactor sitting in the garage. or all the raw tubing to make one.

Steve

Doug
01-16-2014, 12:42 AM
we'll have to have coffee, I have a 3/4 finished reactor sitting in the garage. or all the raw tubing to make one.

Steve

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........:D

brotherd
01-16-2014, 01:43 AM
I am using the Brightwell. I tried regular gfo. Packed down very quickly and what a mess to clean up. I'm currently not using the third cylinder. It's there for future considerations.

Doug
01-16-2014, 03:56 AM
Ok thanks. Perhaps for the price, I may as well get the 3rd also. You T off the feed or run the Mag 7?

brotherd
01-16-2014, 04:15 AM
Tee off the feed for my setup. I bought the manifold as well but I altered it for my system and I'm going to alter it again when I simplify the skimmer feed and return to the sump. Really happy with everything that Jeff creates.

Doug
01-16-2014, 04:23 AM
Current design of the reef. Still covered with towels while it finishes the second cycle. Still lots of front room. At least 2 -3in. in back behind rock.

Will not be lacking current with my return, at least one or two MP 40,s and my MP 20.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/001_zpsaeddf333.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/001_zpsaeddf333.jpg.html)

This is the left corner after I forgot the clowns home, so redid it like this. They have access to both ends and I can peek in on their eggs. The flat will be for either some clams or chalice. You can see the debris collecting from the rock already.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/004_zpsd9423f39.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/004_zpsd9423f39.jpg.html)

This is the right side. As can be seen my back row with space behind, is less than 3/4 of the tank high, so will still allow for vertical growth. The front row is only about a 1/4 high, so lots of vertical growth room there and should not block out the visual for the rear corals.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/006_zpsdab0db3a.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/006_zpsdab0db3a.jpg.html)

At least thats the plan....:D

brotherd
01-16-2014, 04:29 AM
Looks good man. Sorry if I missed it but are you going sans substrate?

Doug
01-16-2014, 04:45 AM
Yes no substrate, although it seems to be creating its own. Thus part of the reason for more rock.

LoJack
01-16-2014, 05:31 AM
Looking good Doug!

Can you easily remove the clown home if you find eggs and decide to try and raise them?

Doug
01-16-2014, 04:17 PM
Looking good Doug!

Can you easily remove the clown home if you find eggs and decide to try and raise them?

Its easier than currently, where its in the back behind rock. I doubt it though, as you can see above it, the overflow glass is covered by flat rock pieces. Neat wall if I may say so. Although not supported by the pipe, I would likely mess it up removing it. Im thinking making it easier to get at, I have never tried a batch before, although once I caught the hatch during the night. I tried shutting stuff down and trapping some in the sumo or overflows but none made the next day. Only ones happy were the acans..:lol:

Now that I have an extra tank and large refugium running, may give it another go.

Doug
01-27-2014, 03:20 AM
I redid some of my rock structure today. Must say it looks better. And yes I made it a tad more open, but only a tad, whatever the heck that is. :lol:

LoJack
01-27-2014, 03:24 AM
Where's the pics Doug??

Doug
01-27-2014, 04:08 AM
Where's the pics Doug??

:lol:..coming

Doug
01-27-2014, 04:18 AM
These are without lights, just room light and flash.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/001_zps9c9d4113.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/001_zps9c9d4113.jpg.html)
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/002_zps228cf011.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/002_zps228cf011.jpg.html)
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/003_zps7c14726e.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/003_zps7c14726e.jpg.html)

Doug
01-27-2014, 04:21 AM
The flat rocks are for my clams, unless I go with a substrate but that will play havoc with the flow Im going to have

Doug
02-05-2014, 04:00 AM
New calcium reactor from Lifereef

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/001_zps9d380a56.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/001_zps9d380a56.jpg.html)

I still have lots of parts to put on yet. It has the new little baby Blueline pump. Ever cute.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/002_zpsebc20e14.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/002_zpsebc20e14.jpg.html)

Doug
02-05-2014, 04:03 AM
Plumbing running through wall behind the tank.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/003_zps5e2375f5.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/003_zps5e2375f5.jpg.html)

Excuse the cords, still power filters running the tank.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/004_zps1fd11f13.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/004_zps1fd11f13.jpg.html)

Other side, in my office. Running Mag 12 submersed. Still waiting on a decent external pump to run.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/006_zpsf75b6a2d.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/006_zpsf75b6a2d.jpg.html)

Doug
02-05-2014, 04:07 AM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/007_zps3b4a32d0.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/007_zps3b4a32d0.jpg.html)

Sump, top down,

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/008_zps21df44e5.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/008_zps21df44e5.jpg.html)

30in. Lifereef skimmer just breaking in.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/005_zps83061fe6.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/005_zps83061fe6.jpg.html)

LoJack
02-05-2014, 02:29 PM
Thats a pretty rad looking cal reactor and skimmer. I like the tidy job through the wall, good stuff!

Doug
02-05-2014, 04:18 PM
Thats a pretty rad looking cal reactor and skimmer. I like the tidy job through the wall, good stuff!

The skimmer is a beast. I better overfeed my tank. :lol: Thanks for the tidy comments. Tried to keep it somewhat neat, even though you cant see it in the living room, unless you go look behind. Between the tank and entertainment centre, its pretty well blocked out.

brotherd
02-06-2014, 04:43 AM
Looking good! Will you be using the reactors(other than the calcium reactor )?

Doug
02-06-2014, 05:02 AM

Yes. I have two coming. I also have a TLF gfo reactor to run in the 3rd chamber. I have to much gfo to switch to Brightwell just yet. So carbon in one and dont have a clue what to run in the other yet. :lol:

Doug
02-06-2014, 05:05 AM
Some of the corals awaiting transfer.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/414d4612-d1f4-4e32-b0d8-d25b6bc02837_zps4d5d25bc.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/414d4612-d1f4-4e32-b0d8-d25b6bc02837_zps4d5d25bc.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/011_zpsc62346cc.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/011_zpsc62346cc.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/010_zps4e3cc374.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/010_zps4e3cc374.jpg.html)

Doug
02-06-2014, 05:08 AM
Thats just the actinics on. I also added four more beautiful chalice frags from Fragcave, one he threw in...{Thanks Alex}, and a beautiful encrusting monti piece.

FragCave
02-07-2014, 03:25 AM
Thats just the actinics on. I also added four more beautiful chalice frags from Fragcave, one he threw in...{Thanks Alex}, and a beautiful encrusting monti piece.

Anytime Doug:biggrin:

Doug
02-08-2014, 01:27 AM
Removed and redid the rock today, to go with a bit more room and less rock. :wink:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01895_zps4dad3f6b.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01895_zps4dad3f6b.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01896_zpsce3e5a45.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01896_zpsce3e5a45.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01897_zps3a9de350.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01897_zps3a9de350.jpg.html)

Doug
02-08-2014, 01:30 AM
This is the poker star monti spot, suggested by Mark. :smile:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01898_zpse90ab9d9.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01898_zpse90ab9d9.jpg.html)

New spot for the percs home

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01899_zps44fd25db.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01899_zps44fd25db.jpg.html)

Here it is behind the rock now, plus lots of swimming room and current room, both behind and in front of the rock.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01901_zps1a552b1e.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01901_zps1a552b1e.jpg.html)

Doug
02-08-2014, 01:32 AM
Lots of room in the front now for all my chalice and clams, if they go in the tank.

Sorry for the window in the pic, not sure what its doing over there. :lol:

eli@fijireefrock.com
02-08-2014, 02:14 AM
Cannot wait to see how your going to fill it, and to see it filled out :biggrin:
Man I am still soo far behind in my build :sad:

Doug
02-08-2014, 03:02 AM
Cannot wait to see how your going to fill it, and to see it filled out :biggrin:
Man I am still soo far behind in my build :sad:

Im not sure how Im going to do that now Eli. Less rock now and to many frags...:lol:

Big Kamloops sale I guess..:mrgreen:

mseepman
02-08-2014, 04:28 AM
Looking even better Doug. I think you will appreciate the room. Here is a video of that coral pegging I told you about.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbh4iEKlIUw

eli@fijireefrock.com
02-08-2014, 04:33 AM
Rearrange your entire setup,...:biggrin:
From the couple picture you have I would do couple things a little different,...keeping in mind you want chalice SPS and clams to fit just perfect and maybe some Euphyllia corals later,..

You have few different sizes of shelf Some really nice Pukani and Premium Fiji I believe.

I would place the smallest Fiji in the middle bottom then place one or maybe 2 shelves over top and only going no more than couple inches of the bottom pane enough hiding and swimming for smaller fish.

I would upright the pukani in a cone shape over half the tank center going back almost the entire length,back laping them and enough space for the fish..Greg some more Fiji leaning towards the back pane creating tunnels and flat surface for more smaller pukani rock and build it all on a similar disign and in between have a couple more smaller shelves petruding outwards for chalices or SPS as now you have an almost 3D look as your front is semi full with the 1st shelves you placed and perfect for the clams or Euphyllia corals.
Your entire top of the rocks and all crevices in the Pukani is perfect for all your SPS.
YOU DON'T Need to use those beautiful pieces of shelf as covering for the overflow.
That's only one design in mind.

Another design as I call it mountain to ravine with a far hill.

Starting from the overflow box with again few smaller pieces of Fiji placed on the bottom then on top going length wise of the tank place the longest shelf petruding away.
Then build the biggest mountain style going centre of the tank with Pukani leaving the back overflow wall to be filled with Premium Fiji covering it entirely keeping in mind not too dense but backwards overlapping (keeping the 3D effect in mind)
Now you have the entire 3/4 of the tank to fill maybe one or 2 freee standing and almost the entire height on the tank with maybe smaller shelves in between or maybe grab a pukani and mold it to a hammer or an L shape piece ,...

I hope you don't mind my imput on your design as it is nice but with what you bought from me you could make it the craziest look lots of people only dream of,...:biggrin:

Doug
02-08-2014, 04:50 AM
Looking even better Doug. I think you will appreciate the room. Here is a video of that coral pegging I told you about.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbh4iEKlIUw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbh4iEKlIUw)

Thanks for the link Mark. You inspired the rock rework....:smile:

Rearrange your entire setup,...:biggrin:
From the couple picture you have I would do couple things a little different,...keeping in mind you want chalice SPS and clams to fit just perfect and maybe some Euphyllia corals later,..

You have few different sizes of shelf Some really nice Pukani and Premium Fiji I believe.

I would place the smallest Fiji in the middle bottom then place one or maybe 2 shelves over top and only going no more than couple inches of the bottom pane enough hiding and swimming for smaller fish.

I would upright the pukani in a cone shape over half the tank center going back almost the entire length,back laping them and enough space for the fish..Greg some more Fiji leaning towards the back pane creating tunnels and flat surface for more smaller pukani rock and build it all on a similar disign and in between have a couple more smaller shelves petruding outwards for chalices or SPS as now you have an almost 3D look as your front is semi full with the 1st shelves you placed and perfect for the clams or Euphyllia corals.
Your entire top of the rocks and all crevices in the Pukani is perfect for all your SPS.
YOU DON'T Need to use those beautiful pieces of shelf as covering for the overflow.
That's only one design in mind.

Another design as I call it mountain to ravine with a far hill.

Starting from the overflow box with again few smaller pieces of Fiji placed on the bottom then on top going length wise of the tank place the longest shelf petruding away.
Then build the biggest mountain style going centre of the tank with Pukani leaving the back overflow wall to be filled with Premium Fiji covering it entirely keeping in mind not too dense but backwards overlapping (keeping the 3D effect in mind)
Now you have the entire 3/4 of the tank to fill maybe one or 2 freee standing and almost the entire height on the tank with maybe smaller shelves in between or maybe grab a pukani and mold it to a hammer or an L shape piece ,...

I hope you don't mind my imput on your design as it is nice but with what you bought from me you could make it the craziest look lots of people only dream of,...:biggrin:

All input is welcome Eli. I still have all 50 lbs. of Fiji and all the branching and some shelf pieces, including the large mushroom style piece.

I have to read over your post a couple times yet. :mrgreen:

Doug
02-08-2014, 05:47 PM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbh4iEKlIUw

Mark, did you actually drill into the coral bottoms? If one removes all the plugs, then thats the only way, besides the epoxy route to.

LoJack
02-20-2014, 01:35 PM
Any updates Doug? I really love the look of your pukani, going to have to incorporate that into my next build I think.

Doug
02-21-2014, 04:32 AM

I just ordered a 3rd also. Looks stupid in such a beautiful sump with my other gfo reactor in the way. I will figure out how to run my gfo in the downflow or switch to Brightwell. Not sure what I will run in the 3rd yet either but just looks better. :lol:

Any updates Doug? I really love the look of your pukani, going to have to incorporate that into my next build I think.

Its coming along. Been a slow last couple weeks. I just decided one day to get my stock away from the bubble algae before it grew on them.

I cut every plug/base from every sps with a hacksaw. Rock work was left as in last pic, as I wanted to move stuff. I did however not like the glass bottom on the chalice pieces and the clams, so they all sit on chopped up rock or bench pieces.

Scrubbed the clams all clean, although they never had much on them and all the snails that were not like a moving piece of bubble algae.

Skimmer is finally broken in and starting to skim well. Running one MP 40 and one MP 20 besides my return pump. Think I will add a second 40 however. Overflow working like a charm now. Very quiet. Just a little exciting when restarting because of my plumbing design.

One think that has peed me off, is I notice the other day a very slight cloudiness in my water, which of course meant a slight ammonia reading. For CRAP sakes. I have to much rock according to some and cycled for 85 years and used start up. Give me a freakin break. AND not that much of a fishie stock.

So doing some decent water changes and following Reef Pilots suggestion of MB7, which I was going to use eventually. Doing 2 caps every night for 2 weeks to help the bacterial filtration to get established. {Sheez, thought I did that}. Seems to be working well so far. Every coral and fish took the transfer well. Old missis perc seems to be impressed with her new larger home. :mrgreen:

I had to jury rig my 2 sets of led,s. Waiting for my new 2080 to arrive. My hanger bars from Grizz, arrived today. Very good work. Still awaiting my Apex gold package to.

Doug
02-21-2014, 04:52 AM
I have my stand and 30g sitting beside my sump in the office. Just trying to decide if I should drill it for a rock refugium or not. I have some nice bench pieces and branching left, plus 50# of Fiji. I assume its all or closed to cycled in the last 2 months. :lol:.

Or may just sell it all. Getting to cluttered in the office and my tank is holding a fair bit of rock

Doug
03-06-2014, 04:03 AM
Nick sent me a present. :smile: My Evergrow 2080 fixture.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01903_zps6346c30c.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01903_zps6346c30c.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01905_zpsbf72215f.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01905_zpsbf72215f.jpg.html)

Very impressed with it so far. Superb control. Love sitting on the couch with the remote.....:lol:

Doug
03-06-2014, 04:08 AM
This is on cloudy setting.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01907_zpsaaedbb51.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01907_zpsaaedbb51.jpg.html)

Reef is finally starting to come along. All the Pukani has a nice green glow. :lol:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/001_zps9a059fa5.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/001_zps9a059fa5.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/002_zps38832482.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/002_zps38832482.jpg.html)

nrosdal
03-06-2014, 04:31 AM
Hey Doug,

light looks good. Any chance you wanna send a shot of what you used to hang it up? looks like brackets that attach to back of stand? curious to see what ya got since many are looking for ways to hang them other then from the ceiling.

Doug
03-06-2014, 04:43 AM
I will do Nick. Forgot to take one for Grizz. They are custom made hanger racks from him. Great work and strong like oz. :lol: I could hang on them.

I still have to drill for an eyebolt or whatever. I wrapped a couple cables from my other leds for now and have my 2080 clipped to that until I get ambitious.

Doug
03-06-2014, 04:46 AM
My sump is working great and the Lifereef skimmer is churning out nasty stinking crud.

Still have to add another MP 40 and my "gold" Apex package when it arrives. I guess apparently I bought that because I have to tend to my ego.. :lol:

nrosdal
03-06-2014, 05:44 AM
Seems like a good idea Doug. If our lovely frinds at Apex would decide to make some conductivity probes one of these days i bet the gold packages will fly out the door. Just consider yourself lucky you didn't decide to try out a reefangel like i decided to do. It has arrived. But my simple mind is having a hard time getting anything going other then a temp and ph reading.

Should be out your way soon. Really wanna see all this goodness in person. Very curious about that skimmer and sump of yours.

Skimmerking
03-06-2014, 11:38 AM
Wow Doug that tank is looking awesome. The light is really nice looking too

Doug
03-06-2014, 05:20 PM
Seems like a good idea Doug. If our lovely frinds at Apex would decide to make some conductivity probes one of these days i bet the gold packages will fly out the door. Just consider yourself lucky you didn't decide to try out a reefangel like i decided to do. It has arrived. But my simple mind is having a hard time getting anything going other then a temp and ph reading.

Should be out your way soon. Really wanna see all this goodness in person. Very curious about that skimmer and sump of yours.

Coffee is always on Nick.

Wow Doug that tank is looking awesome. The light is really nice looking too

Hey thanks Mike. Slowly starting to take shape. Seems like a good light. Happy I went with it.

Doug
03-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Here are the hangers Nick. Please forgive the cable wraps for hanging until its drilled :D

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/IMG_0750_zps487ea4c7.jpg

(http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/IMG_0750_zps487ea4c7.jpg.html)http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/IMG_0751_zps9affe414.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/IMG_0751_zps9affe414.jpg.html)

Doug
03-09-2014, 01:12 AM
:thumb: but stinky.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/001_zps2ca4f72b.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/001_zps2ca4f72b.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/002_zps170403d9.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/002_zps170403d9.jpg.html)

brotherd
03-09-2014, 01:18 AM
Yumm!

Doug
03-09-2014, 03:59 AM
Yumm!

:lol: Sure stinks in my office room. Had to put a freshener in the wall and a thin bag of carbon over the cap. Have not smelled crap like that since back in my beckett days.

The Grizz
03-09-2014, 04:10 AM
Been meaning to ask Doug, why is one hanger lower then the other.....

Doug
03-09-2014, 05:06 AM
Been meaning to ask Doug, why is one hanger lower then the other.....

Ha Ha. I just looked up after reading and seen it. Never noticed it until now. DOH !!

I left them where they were from the two separate fixtures, so thats my excuse. :lol: I thought my fixture looked slanted. :lol: Or perhaps is slid down a bit if the set screw is not tight.

Oh well, they have to come out for drilling anywho.

eli@fijireefrock.com
03-09-2014, 10:09 AM
Coming along nicely Doug, next you should make a YouTube video:thumb:

Doug
03-09-2014, 05:46 PM
Coming along nicely Doug, next you should make a YouTube video:thumb:

Okie

Doug
03-23-2014, 04:15 AM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01921_zps17032367.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01921_zps17032367.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01922_zps2d4f16ff.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01922_zps2d4f16ff.jpg.html)

Six days worth since my water change last Sunday

Doug
04-20-2014, 06:53 PM
Some pics taken by my granddaughter on her iPhone.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/IMG_0787_zps8914adf8.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/IMG_0787_zps8914adf8.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/IMG_0786_zps55473e4b.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/IMG_0786_zps55473e4b.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/IMG_0785_zps785aa360.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/IMG_0785_zps785aa360.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/IMG_0784_zps7b279d9c.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/IMG_0784_zps7b279d9c.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/IMG_0782_zps36c6d9a4.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/IMG_0782_zps36c6d9a4.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/IMG_0781_zps93dba464.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/IMG_0781_zps93dba464.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/IMG_0780_zps49b46c58.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/IMG_0780_zps49b46c58.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/IMG_0779_zps9b71c49b.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/IMG_0779_zps9b71c49b.jpg.html)

kien
04-20-2014, 07:40 PM
Got clams?? Lol. Nice pics! Love the surface ripples.

Doug
04-21-2014, 02:31 AM
Got clams?? Lol. Nice pics! Love the surface ripples.

Thanks. That was her favorite also..:smile:

brotherd
04-21-2014, 02:49 AM
Wow! How many clams do you have? Looking great. The Lifereef equipment is working well too :)

Doug
04-21-2014, 04:26 PM
Wow! How many clams do you have? Looking great. The Lifereef equipment is working well too :)

Thanks. I have 4 clams. Yes, equipment is running good. Still have not fired the reactor up yet but calcium & alk consumption is increasing, so better do it soon.

Doug
05-29-2014, 02:41 AM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/008_zps976fa371.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/008_zps976fa371.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/009_zps13c745a3.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/009_zps13c745a3.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/010_zps9ed612e1.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/010_zps9ed612e1.jpg.html)

Sure is a good thing I used all new rock and high end filtration equipment.

And from looking at those pics, good thing I used my Sony instead of iPhone..

DOH.

Aquattro
05-29-2014, 02:51 AM
Is there something there you don't want us to see(well)?

Doug
05-29-2014, 02:55 AM
Is there something there you don't want us to see(well)?

I guess I was to close for the setting. It suits how my tank looks. Crappy.

Back to my 30g. Big equipment sale coming up.

Aquattro
05-29-2014, 03:01 AM
Back to my 30g. Big equipment sale coming up.

Oh stop. Just fix it. You sound like me with this downgrade crap :razz:

Doug
05-29-2014, 03:04 AM
Oh stop. Just fix it. You sound like me with this downgrade crap :razz:

Thats where I got the idea

Aquattro
05-29-2014, 03:14 AM
Thats where I got the idea

Well cut it out. One of us has to be a good example. And that's never me. lol

StirCrazy
05-29-2014, 01:09 PM
it didn't look to crappy when I was there.

Steve

Doug
05-29-2014, 04:11 PM
Ya it was doing great then Steve. Had a little carpet algae starting. Tried to keep it clean but it just got worse, to now where it covers most of my rock.

Its just so disheartening after all the thought and expense that went into it.

Aquattro
05-29-2014, 05:34 PM
Doug, what did you use for rock?

Doug
05-29-2014, 07:42 PM
Doug, what did you use for rock?

All new Pukani, that you told me you would not go with. It was well cycled and a large amount of gfo used during and after.

Aquattro
05-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Can you start removing it bit by bit and replace with real rock?

Doug
05-29-2014, 09:13 PM
Can you start removing it bit by bit and replace with real rock?

I suppose I could do that. Would have to order it as none around here at a reasonable price. Lots of fragging to do also, as many of my corals are well encrusted already.

Aquattro
05-29-2014, 11:39 PM
I suppose I could do that. Would have to order it as none around here at a reasonable price. Lots of fragging to do also, as many of my corals are well encrusted already.

Nothing used? Stuff from old tank? Coming to Victoria any time soon? :) I have about 100 pounds I'm disposing of.

Doug
06-03-2014, 12:14 PM
Never in 30 plus yrs. of saltwater and 25 reefing, have I seen an algae plague such as this. Besides the carpet, there is fast growing longer algae, stringy and attaching to corals. Not like anything I seen before.

Lost several coals already and moved many to my 30g to save them. Dont seem to bother the clams or chalice.

High end equipment sale coming up.

Aquattro
06-03-2014, 12:18 PM
High end equipment sale coming up.

Why are you blaming the equipment?

Doug
06-03-2014, 01:00 PM
Why are you blaming the equipment?

Oh Im not. Its the best I have ever had. Just dont require it for the smaller tank. Its Tunze equipped.

Aquattro
06-03-2014, 01:03 PM
I think you can easily salvage what you have for less money than you'll lose selling off the used gear. Order a box of rock. Swap it out. It'll be fun :)

StirCrazy
06-03-2014, 01:10 PM
I think you can easily salvage what you have for less money than you'll lose selling off the used gear. Order a box of rock. Swap it out. It'll be fun :)

yup, good chance to start over, box of rock, let it mature, then slowly add a coral here and a coral there.

I always wonder about upgrading tanks myself. we get a bunch of new rock and then we move the old tank to the new one overnight and nothing is matured... not sure if it is a issue but I wonder how many problems are caused this way.

Steve

StirCrazy
06-03-2014, 01:11 PM
if you do stuff at the right time I can even give you a hand :mrgreen: cutting back on ot at work so I got free time now.

Steve

Doug
06-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Hmmm. Now you guys have me thinking. And thats not good. Plus where to get a box of "good" live rock from without seeing it.

Aquattro
06-03-2014, 07:32 PM
Hmmm. Now you guys have me thinking. And thats not good. Plus where to get a box of "good" live rock from without seeing it.

Unfortunately you can't. Buying a box means the LFS just transfers the box to you on shipping day. Ideally anyway. However, I've received very few rocks that I didn't like or couldn't use in a build. J&L usually has really good rock.

Doug
06-10-2014, 02:25 AM
OUCH. Checked into a box of liverock today. $440 plus another $130 to ship it.

Aquattro
06-10-2014, 02:34 AM
OUCH. Checked into a box of liverock today. $440 plus another $130 to ship it.

J&L is 6/lb @ 50lbs per box. That's 300, not 440. Shipping on a bus should be under 50 bucks

Doug
06-10-2014, 03:13 AM
J&L is 6/lb @ 50lbs per box. That's 300, not 440. Shipping on a bus should be under 50 bucks

Not what I was quoted

Aquattro
06-10-2014, 04:24 AM
Not what I was quoted

That's what the site says. 5.95/lb for 1-2 boxes, each box ~50lbs. That's 297.50. 40 pound delivery to me is 25 bucks, so to Kamloops, I'd figure double. I'd call and get them to re-quote.

Doug
06-13-2014, 08:59 PM
:boom: Apex hooking up. Wholley crap Im either stupid or this is hard to do....:lol:

JDigital
06-13-2014, 09:45 PM
:boom: Apex hooking up. Wholley crap Im either stupid or this is hard to do....:lol:

What are you having troubles with?

Doug
06-13-2014, 10:54 PM
Just trying to understand it all Josh. I assume the base unit is the larger probe unit??? Does not say anywhere.

And you would think for $900, they could actually include real screws not those imitation pieces of crap...:lol:

JDigital
06-14-2014, 12:03 AM
Maybe this will help.. :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyHi1LX5P_Q

Aquattro
06-14-2014, 12:05 AM
What did you buy for 900??

Doug
06-14-2014, 12:28 AM
Maybe this will help.. :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyHi1LX5P_Q

Excellent. Thanks

What did you buy for 900??

The gold package Brad and dont ask why....:lol:

Aquattro
06-14-2014, 12:38 AM
The gold package Brad and dont ask why....:lol:

Not familiar with the "gold" package. Does it come with gold? The lab grade kit is 560ish. What all did you get?

Doug
06-14-2014, 12:45 AM
http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/images/T/xctmp9Tan74-14.png (http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Neptune-Systems-Apex-Gold-w-Display-Temp-Lab-PH-Lab-ORP-PM2-Lab-cond.-and-EB8-GOLD.html)

http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/skin/common_files/images/spacer.gif http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/images/T/xctmp9Tan74-14.png (http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Neptune-Systems-Apex-w-Display-Module-PH-and-Temp-Probe-and-EB8-Lab-Grade-PH.html)
Neptune Systems Apex Gold w/ Display, Temp, Lab PH, Lab ORP, PM2, Lab cond. & EB8 (GOLD) (http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Neptune-Systems-Apex-Gold-w-Display-Temp-Lab-PH-Lab-ORP-PM2-Lab-cond.-and-EB8-GOLD.html)
Neptune Systems Apex Lab w/ Display Module, PH & Temp Probe & EB8 (Lab Grade PH) (http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Neptune-Systems-Apex-w-Display-Module-PH-and-Temp-Probe-and-EB8-Lab-Grade-PH.html) SKU: APEXSYSGLD

SKU: SKU177041
$829.95

Aquattro
06-14-2014, 12:48 AM
Wow. Never heard of a gold package. Toys are always good though :)

Reef Pilot
06-14-2014, 12:57 AM
Wow. Never heard of a gold package. Toys are always good though :)
Guess you haven't seen this yet.
http://www.thehouseofsolidgold.com/24k-gold-extreme-mountain-bike/
You are bike guy, right?

JDigital
06-14-2014, 01:00 AM
Wow! They suckered you in Doug! IMO, the extra probes are useless. (ORP and Salinity?)

I would have gone with this (http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Neptune-Systems-Apex-w-Display-Module-PH-and-Temp-Probe-and-EB8-Lab-Grade-PH.html) and added on a Break Out Box and maybe a 2nd EB8 power bar.. would have given you more useful functionality for less money.. The break out box can control SOOOO much stuff.

It's no wonder you're so confused on how to set everything up... LOL! You got everything!

Doug
06-14-2014, 01:05 AM
:heh: But I like probes.

:pound: I have all these probe holes to fill

JDigital
06-14-2014, 01:10 AM
:heh: But I like probes.

:pound: I have all these probe holes to fill

I'm not touching that with a 10ft probe... :lol: