PDA

View Full Version : Parameters

Jaws
07-06-2004, 09:54 PM
Hey guys. I'm almost ready to set my tank up and I suppose I should get the appropriate devices ready to measure the parameters of the tank. If anyone has any reccommendations, it would be greatly appreciated. I noticed J & L has a sale on PH pinpoint monitors right now so if this is something i'm going to need, I figured now would be a good time. My tank is a 180G and I plan on growing lots of sps. Thanks.

IslandReefer
07-06-2004, 11:52 PM
Hey Gary,
Not that I can speak for anyone else, but here's what I monitor:
Salinity-refractometer
Temp-pin point wireless thermometer-cool but expensive...Radio Shack sells a dual digital display for about $25 (Steve uses one)
RO/DI water - TDS pen- anti algea check!
water chemistry: Salifert test kits for dKH, Ca used apx. weekly.
pinpoint pH meter: takes a long time to stablize(-I might try one of the pens next time)
Also when trouble shooting or cycling I have also used Salifert test kits for NO3,NO2,NH4,Mg.
Monitors for pH,ORP etc. are useful or needed for use with a Ca reactor or eg. an ozone generator etc.
IMHO
Hope this helps

Jaws
07-07-2004, 01:25 AM
Thanks John. Are any of these tools all in one devices or do you have to buys seperate devices for each function? Do you have any examples of any of these tools like where I can find them? My name's Jason by the way, not Gary. No worries.

Skimmerking
07-07-2004, 03:01 AM
Think about it this is why the hobby is so expensive ,you have to buy everything to moniter. :mrgreen: Think if you bought one device to check everything the stores or companies would loose a small forture.

mike

but yes you will have to buy the lot of tem
ph montier excellant piece of kit
i have a refractometer awesome
CA testers
ALK testers
etc etc etc

Jaws
07-07-2004, 05:41 AM
Can you find a lot of these things used? Is it worth them buying used?

IslandReefer
07-07-2004, 03:45 PM
Because accurate testing is so important, I would buy NEW, for what you can't do without (esp Ca,dKH,salinity and pH) the rest I can or someone can lend you a test kit or meter for (eg. Mg or Cu, TDS pen) if when you need it and don't think you will use it more than once or twice.
IMHO buying used for the first 4 parameters is like buying a used parachute (like new never been opened)or a SCUBA regulator....some do..... BUT!....how attached are you to your reef critters??

bulletsworld
07-07-2004, 05:23 PM
For sure go with new. If you are on a budget you can always get a test complete kit case of everything you need and slowly work your way up to digital equipment as you go.

For example you can get the Hagen Complete case of test kits aprox $70 (PJ's Pets) Its got your main PH, Calcium, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, ect. You can always upgrade to digital PH monitors & other devices.

Salinity- there is cheap Hydrometers $15 But you will find not very accurate & best to get a refractometer $125 (J&L) Which very accurate & best long term.

Temp thermometers- way better then the float or stick to the glass ones. Digitals with the prob that goes in the tank range from $15-$30 depending on the display & features.

Hope that gives more idea's. But I wish there was a device out there that could just do it all. :biggrin:

Jaws
07-07-2004, 08:28 PM
Thanks guys. So if I understand you correctly, i'm going to need the following:

Refractometer ($150)
Ph Monitor ($115)
Wireless Thermometer ($40)

Reef Profi-Test Package ($110) ??? Will this cover the remaining tests?

Will this pretty much cover everything? Is there anything i'm missing?

These prices are from JL's website. Is there a better place to find any of these? Could I ask any more questions? LOL

Quinn
07-07-2004, 08:31 PM
Check out Saltwater Connections as well, Jayson regularly seems to have deals on testing gear.

dbdavid
07-07-2004, 09:14 PM
Aquaria.ca has refractomerters for $65.00. I bought one and it works fantastic. When I got it I tested my salinity and it was at 1.032 :eek: I went to the LFS and it matched their refractomer readings as well.
It's all good now! I would never recommend the plastic float type testers.

They also have a PH pen for$70.00. I didn't buy that so I cannot comment on it.

Dave

Jaws
07-08-2004, 05:39 AM
Is that stuff all digital?

Aquattro
07-08-2004, 05:57 AM
Refractometer ($150)
Ph Monitor ($115)
Wireless Thermometer ($40)

Reef Profi-Test Package ($110)

My list would be this...

Plastic swing arm calibrated against a refractometer - about $12
pH? I have a meter, I can't remember the last time it got wet. I paid $100, next time I'd buy a kit - $17.95
Floating thermometer - $2 maybe?
Ca and Alk Salifert kits (once you have corals growing) $27.95 and $17.95.

The other tests, NO2 and NO3, have done at your LFS. Repay them by shopping there. That money you just saved could buy some nice stuff to put IN the tank!! :biggrin:

Your list - $415. My list, under 80 bucks.

dbdavid
07-08-2004, 02:24 PM
JAWS
Is that stuff all digital?

The PH pen is I beleive. Check out the site:

http://aquariacanada.com/osCommerce/default.php?cPath=1_76&osCsid=bccde86ba2cbdc088edb66400e0b2953

REEF_RAF
Plastic swing arm calibrated against a refractometer - about $12

I had the plastic swing arm checked against a glass hydrometer when I bought it some 10 years ago(refractometers were not available then :smile: ). I guess over time something happened to the swing arm.

Dave

Jaws
07-08-2004, 03:35 PM
I definitely like Brad's pricing better. Question though Brad. I thought when you first establish your tank, it's really important to continuously monitor your parameters to make sure it's safe to start adding fish and corals.

Aquattro
07-08-2004, 04:10 PM
I thought when you first establish your tank, it's really important to continuously monitor your parameters to make sure it's safe to start adding fish and corals.

Not really. If you're cycling rock, get a cheap Hagen NH3 kit to test daily. Once you have cured rock in the tank and it's run for a few weeks, take a sample to the LFS. Test for N)2 and NO3. If nitrites are 0, and nitrates not too high, add a small fish. You're on your way. If you're really paranoid, again, buy some Hagen kits (which will last a few months with regular testing) to keep an eye on things. I recall they're about 10 bucks a piece.

All the electronic stuff is cool and great to impress your reefing buddies, but it really isn't "required equipment"!

bulletsworld
07-08-2004, 06:38 PM
[quote=Jaws] All the electronic stuff is cool and great to impress your reefing buddies, but it really isn't "required equipment"!

Accurate testing is so important. Especailly when starting up. I agree you don't NEED the electronic equipment. You can use the standard test kits that you can pick up for about $10-15 for each. But it at times can be hard to match exact the colors against the test charts, making it easy to misjudged & be inaccurate.

Bringing water samples to your LFS is good but how many times to do actually want to do that before you get your own test kits and save yourself time.

There is must dispute about plastic swing arm to measure salinity. As they are a good starter @ $12 (cheap plastic) That even when calibrated with a refractometers gets build up of salt & are not very accurate in long term. Refractometer is most needed when you treat sick fish (ich-very common)for a treatment called Hyposalinity (lower salinity 1.09) Which needs to be exact.

When I first started in the hobby I got a the test kits to test everything (PH, No2, No3. Ca, NH3 for about $10 ea. Then measure salinity with a plastic arm.

You can always upgrade later with a refractometer for salinity & Pinpoint meter for PH. :wink: