PDA

View Full Version : WTB - Return Pump

MoreDakka
11-03-2013, 12:20 AM
Have a 45g with 10g sump and 5-6ft head.
Was thinking a mag7 or 9.5. Wondering if anyone has one for sale used in good shape?

Thanks

byee
11-03-2013, 01:26 AM
I just picked up a Mag 5 from JL for $68. They have a special on them.....15% off.

My head height is just under 4' with a 25g sump.

I'm hoping turning over the tank 7x is adequate opposed to using a Mag 7 with a turn over rate if 10x.

Good luck!

MoreDakka
11-03-2013, 04:03 AM
Hey awesome. I think I'll get the Mag7 from there :-D Yay!

MoreDakka
11-03-2013, 05:07 AM
I just picked up a Mag 5 from JL for $68. They have a special on them.....15% off.

My head height is just under 4' with a 25g sump.

I'm hoping turning over the tank 7x is adequate opposed to using a Mag 7 with a turn over rate if 10x.

Good luck!

You could always put a valve on it and tone it down too with a more powerful pump. This way it gives you the option to throttle it up if needed.

MoreDakka
12-06-2013, 06:27 AM
omg....the mag 7 is soo loud! Going to see about selling this one and getting a quietone 4000...

spit.fire
12-06-2013, 06:56 AM
Quiet ones suck IMO

Better off with a sicce or eheim

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-06-2013, 10:28 AM
I'm of the school of thought that high sump turnover rate is NOT a great thing. I like to have my dirty water go through slower so my skimmer has more chance to skim it clean before its pumped back up.

Besides, faster turnover equals bigger pump equals more electricity used 24/7 (very inefficiently).

A Mag 7 uses 70w, whereas a smaller pump will probable use 50 or less. The 20w extra only gets you 200 gph through the return but will get you 1400 gph + with decent powerhead. Just my opinion.

Anthony

MoreDakka
12-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Yep, I've got the pump valved and slowed down. It's not the flow I'm worried about it's the fact my whole tank vibrates with this thing and it sounds like a blender... I'm looking for something that's quiet, not something that I can hear 2 levels down :-/

Those eheim pumps are wicked expensive. However the sicce pumps seem to be reasonable. Are they reliable?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Valving and slowing down a pump creates back pressure on the pump. Bad to have back pressure.

MoreDakka
12-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Hmm....damn LFS always giving me bad info. They say that if you valve the pump that it will adjust it's voltage to compensate in turn using less power... I know nothing of the inner workings of a pump so I'm assuming I'm just being takin' for a ride.

The Codfather
12-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Valving and slowing down a pump creates back pressure on the pump. Bad to have back pressure.

Not necessarily, reeflo pumps for example run more efficiently if valved off a little. They actually recommend it. Valving off a discharge is the equivalent of more head pressure.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Not necessarily, reeflo pumps for example run more efficiently if valved off a little. They actually recommend it. Valving off a discharge is the equivalent of more head pressure.

He's talking about Mag pumps or their equivalents. I've always been told that valving off Mags & similar pumps is a no-no. I've never done it so I have no personal experience of it causing a pump to fail. If I'm wrong, then I apologize for passing on bad info. However I was told this by several experienced reefers.

Anybody valved off Mags or similar pumps on here & if so, what has been your experience??

Anthony

spit.fire
12-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Yep, I've got the pump valved and slowed down. It's not the flow I'm worried about it's the fact my whole tank vibrates with this thing and it sounds like a blender... I'm looking for something that's quiet, not something that I can hear 2 levels down :-/

Those eheim pumps are wicked expensive. However the sicce pumps seem to be reasonable. Are they reliable?

IMO the sicce pumps are one of the more reliable pumps out there, personally the best pumps I've ever owned were Laguna pumps tho but they can get expensive

byee
12-07-2013, 12:29 AM
He's talking about Mag pumps or their equivalents. I've always been told that valving off Mags & similar pumps is a no-no. I've never done it so I have no personal experience of it causing a pump to fail. If I'm wrong, then I apologize for passing on bad info. However I was told this by several experienced reefers.

Anybody valved off Mags or similar pumps on here & if so, what has been your experience??

Anthony

Anthony,

I bought a Mag 5 but returned it for the Mag 7. What's the optimal number of times a tank needs to circulated?

I'm setting up a 45g cube with a 25 gallon sump.

Thoughts?

intarsiabox
12-07-2013, 05:33 AM
omg....the mag 7 is soo loud! Going to see about selling this one and getting a quietone 4000...

Just put a piece of foam rubber under it. I ran a mag9.5 for 5 years and it was silent with a pad under it, other wise the vibration goes through the glass bottom of the sump and can be loud. I had mine throttled down (discharge side only) for the five years with no issues, the new owner has no problems with it either. With a larger pump you can also tee off of the discharge and use the extra flow to run reactors or divert flow to a refugium, etc.

darkreef
12-07-2013, 07:20 AM
If you want to valve off a mag put a tee fitting on your return with a ball valve and open it up letting the excess flow go into your sump :) no back pressure needed . Making a controlled leak . Keep it underwater by the pump for no noise

byee
12-13-2013, 04:47 AM
Just put a piece of foam rubber under it. I ran a mag9.5 for 5 years and it was silent with a pad under it, other wise the vibration goes through the glass bottom of the sump and can be loud. I had mine throttled down (discharge side only) for the five years with no issues, the new owner has no problems with it either. With a larger pump you can also tee off of the discharge and use the extra flow to run reactors or divert flow to a refugium, etc.

intarsiabox

What type of foam rubber did you put under your pump?

I would like to do the same with my setup.

Thanks!