PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo!

canadawest
09-04-2002, 09:36 PM
My Bangaii pair took about a 6 month hiatus since the last full-term brood, although the male has carried eggs three times since but aborted each time. This leads me to believe that they are seasonal breeders, but this is just an observation and certainly not based on any natural facts.

Well I'm a grandpa again, and boy have I got a lot of little mouths to feed. :eek:

It has been worth the wait! The last brood (and largest of the first three) born was 20 fry of which 12 survived to selling age. This brood, has almost 40 fry born (there are so many I can't count them accurately yet as they are so small and wont stay still to be counted! smile.gif )

I'm hoping to have a high survival rate, and will keep you posted on the progress. For those who expressed interest over the past 6 months for adding captive raised Bangaiis to their tanks, there will hopefully be many to choose from in about 6 weeks time!

fishnut
09-04-2002, 11:04 PM
Congratulations, Andrew !

Hope the survival rate is high with your little guys.

Keep us posted. smile.gif

StirCrazy
09-04-2002, 11:23 PM
ok whare does the line up start :D :D just what I have been waiting for ;)

Steve

[ 04 September 2002, 19:23: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

mutabaruka
09-05-2002, 12:55 AM
Congrats Poppa! I am in line as well!

robert
09-05-2002, 01:43 AM
Here I am standing in the line... :D

GinKu
09-06-2002, 01:46 AM
what are the spec of the tank that the bangii are in?

reefburnaby
09-06-2002, 02:03 AM
Hi,

Congratulations. I am also interested.

- Victor.

sea gnome
09-06-2002, 11:24 PM
Andrew, I would be interested in a couple. Rachel

Bob I
09-07-2002, 12:32 AM
Tried the link to the tank pictures this evening, but it did not work.
Bob

Mak
09-07-2002, 01:04 AM
Andrew I'm still interested in a couple or so.

It' working fine for me Bob.

canadawest
09-07-2002, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by Ginku:
what are the spec of the tank that the bangii are in?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The adults live year round in my main tank which is a 100gal tank w/ 10gal refugium.

The babies are raised in my nursery/quarantine tank which is a 12gal Eclipse tank that I run all year round as well. It has substrate, live rock, some caulerpa, a couple snails and hermits and assorted flora/fauna.

Pictures of my tanks as well as photos of a previous brood are available on my webpage.

HTH

Dorkel Marine 1
09-07-2002, 08:12 AM
Congrats fish farmer. Could you keep a couple of these guys in a well established long 30 gal. tank. I'm concerned about the space they'll need. I'm considering keeping two red-headed gobies and a couple of yours would be perfect,to go along with them. But only if they are comfortable in a 30 gal. tank.
Thanks in advance. George Muller.

Dorkel Marine 1
09-07-2002, 08:12 AM
Congrats fish farmer. Could you keep a couple of these guys in a well established long 30 gal. tank. I'm concerned about the space they'll need. I'm considering keeping two red-headed gobies and a couple of yours would be perfect,to go along with them. But only if they are comfortable in a 30 gal. tank.

Dorkel Marine 1
09-07-2002, 08:14 AM

Dorkel Marine 1
09-07-2002, 08:16 AM

Dorkel Marine 1
09-07-2002, 08:19 AM
I'll try again Andrew. Congrats on your new family. Must be excitin. If you can keep these guys in a 30 gal. long I'd love to be on your list for a couple. Are they a schooling fish. Like do they have to be in a group or can they be kept alone.
Thanks in advance.
George Muller.
How much for these guys.

Dorkel Marine 1
09-08-2002, 04:25 AM
Thanks for the response Andrew. I would definetly love to look after a couple of those little guys. Put me on the list. Thanx again.

canadawest
09-08-2002, 04:33 AM
George, a pair would be fine in a 30 gal as they don't get very large (~3" max) and don't swim around a large area. In my 100gal (5' long) tank they mostly hang out in a few different areas, not like the tangs doing laps around the tank. They are a schooling fish (you should see all the tiny little babies hovering together) but will also sucessfully live alone, in pairs, or small harems as well.

My two adults have been together for almost a year, and seem quite happy (aka the babies) Of course it's important that when they mature you have two or more females and/or only one male per tank, because the males don't get along when mature. It's impossible to sex them until they mature at around a year old, and even then it's quite difficult to visually discern the differences. I was just lucky that the two I picked from the tank at J&L just happened to be one male and one female, but I didn't know I had a pair until the first breeding. Up until then I could only assume I had either two females or a pair but didn't know which for sure. What I did know is that I didn't pick two males, as there was no fighting.

They are very docile fish, eat most prepared or live foods, get along with just about any other non-agressive fish and are completely reef safe (never damaged a coral or invert in my tank ever) And they are pretty too!