PDA

View Full Version : Sick regal tang. Please help.

copenhagen_cowboy@live.co
11-02-2013, 04:09 PM
This morning my regal tang wouldn't come out even when I put food in which is extremely strange. I found here hiding behind some rock still but she is pale and breathing heavy. She didn't even put up a might when I scooped her out.there is no white spots on her. What should I do?

Albertareefer51
11-03-2013, 01:52 AM
Where is it now? And when did you get it?

11-03-2013, 03:44 AM
She's dead now. I had got the tang from someone on kijiji. After a couple days it had got ick bad but I had got rid if that and that was a few weeks ago. Since then no problems ate well and hid most if of the time but would come out and play in the power heads then go hide again.

Slyguy00
11-03-2013, 03:45 AM
I had a regal tang do the same thing to me when my tank was new. How oldis your system? They are pretty sensative to water conditions from what i understand.

Albertareefer51
11-03-2013, 04:13 AM
Hippo's are notorious for ich. If you look at them wrong they seem to get it. Unless you quarantined her for it then even though it looks like it was gone it was not. Ich runs in cycles and while it may go away for awhile the cycle continues. And some it seems to just go away and then a stressor comes along and they get it again. Do you have other fish in the tank? If so then be aware that the cycle will now continue...Just an FYI....As much as i love hippos it is one that i will never get again after it wiped out my whole tank years ago.

Albertareefer51
11-03-2013, 04:14 AM
Here is an awesome link about the cycle of ich etc...It is a royal pain in the butt http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/

saltyair
11-03-2013, 01:36 PM
check your parameters - sometimes a fish coming from an other system can be use to levels not in the "normal ranges" Also since it did live for a week or more - what other fish do you have? Might have been a conflict.

sorry for the loss - IMO hippo's are not finicky if parameters, tank mates and food is stable.

Remember hippo's in the wild eat mostly planktivorous invertebrates.

11-03-2013, 04:35 PM
The only other fish were two small clowns, purple fire fish and a royal gramma. There wasn't any conflicts. I will just keep a close eye on the rest of them and add soak sone food in garlic. The tank has been running for a few months now and my levels haven't been fluctuating. I'm thinking I must just not have nipped the ick in the ass all the way. Thanks everyone