PDA

View Full Version : Placement Of Tank?

Nano
11-02-2013, 04:07 PM
So my wife and I are a little concerned with the the placement of our tank in the room, its only 60g so I doubt weight is an issue, its just there is a well beaten path in the floor as its the highest area of traffic in the house. Basically what I mean is the floor has a bit of movement too it, so the tank moves a bit, not the stand, but the floor beneath it. so I will post a pic below of how it is in relation to the floor joists, and how we would like it as the floor is completely solid with no movement in the spot we want it.
If anyone could let me know ASAP as I want to move it today lol.

here is the pic, top is how it currently sits, bottom is how I want it.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/thehobdenmarina/1_zps84616063.jpg (http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/thehobdenmarina/media/1_zps84616063.jpg.html)

Here you can see how it is and why I'm limited upstairs as to where I can put it. I can put it in the theater room in the basement, but I still have a lot of work to do down there first so I'd rather keep it up here where I can enjoy it.
Also yes there would be a window directly beside it but its north facing so little light comes in.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/thehobdenmarina/DSC_0493_zpsfd4f6238.jpg (http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/thehobdenmarina/media/DSC_0493_zpsfd4f6238.jpg.html)

monocus
11-02-2013, 04:20 PM
you should have no problem-if your realy worried place a cut sheet of plywood under the tank stand

Reef Pilot
11-02-2013, 04:24 PM
I like the 1st diagram for placement. You want it accessible and viewable as much as possible, for maximum enjoyment. It won't get the same attention downstairs.

I have 2 tanks, one upstairs in the kitchen right in front of the island counter, and one downstairs. The upstairs one always becomes the main gathering place whenever we have friends over, and I can look at it often, too.

Nano
11-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Yeah I get that but my main concern is the amount of traffic right there like its squeaky place in the floor so it just makes me nervous the corner doesnt squeak so thats why I feel its better there lol.

Nano
11-02-2013, 04:35 PM
Also the thing I like about the corner is I can get behind it from underneath the stand if I had to fix a bulkhead or something where as I have to drain the tank and slide it on the new floors to do that now.

Reef Pilot
11-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Also the thing I like about the corner is I can get behind it from underneath the stand if I had to fix a bulkhead or something where as I have to drain the tank and slide it on the new floors to do that now.
Yup, that makes sense, too.

Nano
11-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Ok well ive moved it into the corner and am in the process of filling. Seems to be a lot less movement even with the weight of the 2 couches so thats good plus we spend a lot of time sitting in there after 10-12hr days so this may just be better. We'll see.

Edit. Tank is full but it seems a little softer in this spot.. sigh draining again. Back it goes.

byee
11-04-2013, 02:47 PM
You shouldn't have any problems with the weight of the tank. The 60g only weighs in at 600 pounds.

Based on the photos, I like having the tank in the corner. That being said, it makes it difficult as a conversation piece especially when others are sitting on the sofas.

Good luck!

kien
11-04-2013, 03:32 PM
I'm not a structural engineer so I can't really way what's right or wrong, but in the end you kinda just have to do what you're most comfortable with regardless of what we say. You're the one that's going to lose sleep at night not us :biggrin: Do what you feel is right.

MarkoD
11-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Also having it that close to the window may cause it to cool down quicker causing your heater to come on more often.

Other than that. The corner is probably better since the weight will be distributed to 2 supporting walls below

sphelps
11-04-2013, 04:28 PM
The squeaks and floor movement you have now relates to poor attachment between the subfloor and joists. You can fix this by pulling up some of the floor and adding some screws.