PDA

View Full Version : DIE AIPTASA DIEEEE. YEEE :twised:

jason604
11-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Had 1 aiptasa and was lazy and just left it there then it started to multiply so after following some ppls tip I bought a peppermint shrimp. It was useless. All it did was hide mainly because I think it was so tiny. Anyways it didn't eat any aiptasa so I check other forums n ppl suggested injecting it with lime juice. I don't want to use any chemicals in my tank so I tried it. It did absolutely nothing but seem to **** it off and multiply again. So I was like. Fuk it like prob too weak. I took some reg vinegar about o.1ml into a syringe and injected it. Instantly it shribbled. Waited few days and yup it's deff dead. Maybe it was luck? Nope. Tried it again on another guy and he died too. Make sure to only use about 0.1ml per aiptasa because u might get trigger happy n squirt too much into ur tank. Might change ur ph so use tiny bit. Also u have to inject very fast cuz as soon as u touch the aiptasa it wil shribbled and hide in the holes of ur live rock. When they shribble the concentration of the vinegar will be much higher in them then BAM TKO. Hope this helps all u ppl with aiptasa problems and don't want to use harmful chemicals and peppermint shrimp not doing its job =)

Dearth
11-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Are you sure it was a peppermint shrimp and not a camelback both are similar in looks and yes peppermints are hit and miss I have a couple in my tank 1 eats it the other two sample it and I also have a camelback that was a hitch hiker

jason604
11-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Are you sure it was a peppermint shrimp and not a camelback both are similar in looks and yes peppermints are hit and miss I have a couple in my tank 1 eats it the other two sample it and I also have a camelback that was a hitch hiker

Yup they were peppermint got from JL.

Chris82
11-01-2013, 10:41 PM
File fish is another eater of aptaisa. I have witnessed one clear an entire tank of probably 100 or more in a couple weeks.

mrhasan
11-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Had 1 aiptasa and was lazy and just left it there then it started to multiply so after following some ppls tip I bought a peppermint shrimp. It was useless. All it did was hide mainly because I think it was so tiny. Anyways it didn't eat any aiptasa so I check other forums n ppl suggested injecting it with lime juice. I don't want to use any chemicals in my tank so I tried it. It did absolutely nothing but seem to **** it off and multiply again. So I was like. Fuk it like prob too weak. I took some reg vinegar about o.1ml into a syringe and injected it. Instantly it shribbled. Waited few days and yup it's deff dead. Maybe it was luck? Nope. Tried it again on another guy and he died too. Make sure to only use about 0.1ml per aiptasa because u might get trigger happy n squirt too much into ur tank. Might change ur ph so use tiny bit. Also u have to inject very fast cuz as soon as u touch the aiptasa it wil shribbled and hide in the holes of ur live rock. When they shribble the concentration of the vinegar will be much higher in them then BAM TKO. Hope this helps all u ppl with aiptasa problems and don't want to use harmful chemicals and peppermint shrimp not doing its job =)

You might want to try aptasia X. Its a chemical but not harmful for the tank (hence reef safe). I even use it to kill xenia. Its a fun product :D

riceboy
11-01-2013, 10:47 PM
nudibranches are the best, i was in the same boat for years, tried every thing, putting kalk, injecting lemon juice, aiptasia x, nothing worked, seemed like u kill one and 10 more show up. but with the nudi i have non left even the ones that were between my zoos disappeared, only sad part now is that i have no food for these guys.

Madreefer
11-01-2013, 10:59 PM
No mention of kalk paste nor a zapper. You can make one pretty easy. I made one and it worked really good. My CBB keeps aptasia in check for my tank

Slyguy00
11-01-2013, 11:02 PM
+1 for aptasia x. Works great

Madreefer
11-01-2013, 11:08 PM
So do they sell Joes Juice still?
If so than check the ingredients first:wink:

windcoast reefs
11-01-2013, 11:13 PM
I used a matted filefish, worked great and they're cheap.

Starry
11-02-2013, 01:44 AM
can you use the nudies if you have wrasses?
Joes juice is just kalk paste I belive. I too am battling these demons. I have problems injecting as my hands shake too much.

hunggi74
11-02-2013, 06:08 AM
I had aptasia problem as well. Left it alone for awhile but was getting out of hand. Had about a dozen around rocks on tank. Could not source any nudis so went to JL and got three peps. Figured if at least one ate the aptasia then the others would follow. Less than a week ago. No aptasia visible anymore. Maybe try another couple peps?

LoJack
11-02-2013, 02:51 PM
File fish is another eater of aptaisa. I have witnessed one clear an entire tank of probably 100 or more in a couple weeks.

I used a matted filefish, worked great and they're cheap.

I just picked one up and it hasn't touched any aiptasia yet. He's still in quarrantine and maybe its because he hasn't fully settled in yet. But I have 3 leathers attached to live rock that I moved to that tank due to space restrictions in the main reef and they each have 3 or 4 aiptasia on the base of the rock that the leather is attached to, so far, the file hasn't gone after a single one.

I have one peppermint and one file fish in that quarrantine tank and neither have gone after a single nem yet.

reeferious
11-02-2013, 04:24 PM
take razor slice those aiptasias few times let scent draw fish to them

jason604
11-02-2013, 09:56 PM

Each piece of aiptasia well become a new 1. Vinegar injection! Trust me =)

Reef Puffer
11-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Squirt some mysis into the aptasia, the pep will eventually see the aptasia as food. I have one pep in my display and rarely see aptasia. The sump on the other hand... Loaded with them. I bought 6 more peps for my sump (apparently they like to be in groups), less than a week ALL my aptasia GONE.

Madreefer
11-02-2013, 10:17 PM

I'm sure your just joking:lol:

randallino
11-03-2013, 02:32 AM

I had 2 that did F..all. just saying hit and miss.

Dearth
11-03-2013, 02:44 AM
Here is a very good read about aiptasia its causes, breeding and multiple control methods of removing aiptasia and the pluses and minuses to each method of removal

http://www.saltyunderground.com/pages.php?pID=11

Baker
11-03-2013, 03:05 AM
Aptasia X works well for me. Sometimes I can get the needle right in the mouth and inject down inside them. Works great.