PDA

View Full Version : Salt

sirruckus
10-31-2013, 03:03 PM
just curious what peoples input are for salt.

what would you list as the most economical (to produce the same amount of SW)?
What would list as good quality
what would you list as over priced?

I know some brands are more expensive then others, but may yield more SW from the same container size.

Its also been suggested to roll the containers of salt before using to mix up the salt or else your levels may get out of wack.

Aquattro
10-31-2013, 03:09 PM
IO is economical.
IO is reasonable quality
Anything you pay for salt that you like is good value, so "over priced" is relative.
Rolling salt buckets is the dumbest thing I've ever heard in this hobby.

In the end, buy salt that performs best for your tank. If you're basing a decision on bucket A yields 2 gallons more per bucket of bucket B per advertised yield, this might not be the right hobby :)

Aquattro
10-31-2013, 03:09 PM
If anyone asks, yes, I'm opinionated -lol

BC564
10-31-2013, 03:25 PM
that was very well put......totally true.

Dearth
10-31-2013, 03:56 PM
IO is economical.
IO is reasonable quality
Anything you pay for salt that you like is good value, so "over priced" is relative.
Rolling salt buckets is the dumbest thing I've ever heard in this hobby.

In the end, buy salt that performs best for your tank. If you're basing a decision on bucket A yields 2 gallons more per bucket of bucket B per advertised yield, this might not be the right hobby :)

+1

Salt is salt is salt

michika
10-31-2013, 03:57 PM
Additives and add-ins are also only worth it if your tank is actually using them too. Why pay extra for something you're not using?

Aquattro
10-31-2013, 04:06 PM
+1

Salt is salt is salt

Well, yes and no. I used Reefers Best for years, then switched to IO for cost savings. In recent discussions with IO, I've learned that the discrepancies in Ca/Alk I've been seeing were in fact "acceptable" limits. That means, for my setup, I have to test and calculate each batch of salt. I found RBS to ot have this issue, so I've gone back to that. Yes, it's a lot more money, but for me, it's worth it.
A salt is a salt, dependent on what you want out of the salt to begin with.

monocus
10-31-2013, 04:18 PM
different salts have different levels of elements.if you buy a cheap salt(not saying any salt is cheap or inferior)and have to dose $50 in additives,the more expensive salt might be cheaper.i use seachem reef salt and only have to dose magnesium,with the occasional calcium

Taipan
10-31-2013, 04:20 PM
My controversial input for the day (I don't advocate it, nor do I discourage it - there will be a lot of opinions on this topic) .....

I generally use what's "on sale" or readily available on hand.

Hobbyists will argue NOT to mix different brands and be consistent with what you use over the long term. The argument for this of course is constancy in water chemistry and trace elements.

My personal preference is Tropic Marin Pro. Simply for the fact that I like how dissolves. It leaves little to no precipitate. The rate of which it dissolves is great as well - fast. As such; I usually stock up during sales (boxing day etc.) or try and work out better pricing with my LFS.

That being said, if I'm running low or in a rush for a water change; I have no problems purchasing Instant Ocean, Reef Crystals, DD H2O, or Red Sea.

There's an old adage that: "At the end of the day, everyone comes back to Instant Ocean or Reef Crystals" :) It's pretty accurate. IO is the most widely available.

Everyone will have their own preference and their own acceptable tolerances/variations for salt parameters. You'll have to experiment to find what you like.

Aquattro
10-31-2013, 04:30 PM
You'll have to experiment to find what you like.

Ding Ding!! We have a winner :)

Spend what you're comfortable with, add what you feel you must, mix it as long as you like and roll the damn thing around the block if it makes you happy. If the corals grow and fish swim, it's all good in the end!!

JmeJReefer
10-31-2013, 06:15 PM
Switched from IO to Red Sea, as Im trying the REd Sea program. Works so far and no problems to date.

Jus a matter of research and observation i guess...