PDA

View Full Version : Fish Harmonizing

Karsten
10-31-2013, 02:39 PM
Hello all. I have a question about how to add new fish into an existing system. I have heard to add new fish at night or move rock around to change territories. Is there any other methods? Every time I add a new fish to my system the other fish pic on them. Sometimes they get over it and become part of the family but other times I have had to rescue the fish from certain death. My tank is in perfect harmony right now but I would like to add new fish. Any advice would help thank you.

I have Tangs, and Anthais at the moment.

kien
10-31-2013, 02:45 PM
i like to tape a square mirror (you can get them from ikea or dollar store) to the side of my tank. I leave it there for as long as it takes for my new addition to somewhat settle in. The majority of my fish are way too busy trying to destroy their own reflections to devote too much time to any new additions. Sometimes they don't even notice the new fish because they are in so much RAGE over their own selfies :lol:

thmh
10-31-2013, 03:51 PM
There are many ways to add new fish to your system, I myself prefer to use 2 methods.

Method #1 turn off all the lights and lower the flow to minimum then drop the fish in. Now if your an extreme person and want to use ninja smoke screen dose some coral snow as well:-)

Method #2 get a custom acrylic box and leave your fish in there for a few weeks until all your other fish gets a migraine from head butting the clear acrylic :-)

~Tony

michika
10-31-2013, 03:56 PM
I'm a huge fan of the mirror trick. If your tank is bigger though a bigger mirror is worth it, or multiple mirrors. Its my go to for every new addition.

monocus
10-31-2013, 04:24 PM
i usually add 3 fish at a time-the old fish don't know who to pester

Coasting
10-31-2013, 05:46 PM
I just introduced 2 new guys to my tank, and my old Anthias has been terrorizing the more docile of the 2, the angel. Saw this post and taped 2 mirrors to the tank this morning. Wow what a difference. **** head is too busy trying to beat himself up, the angel is actually able to get out from his hiding spot and explore and eat! Maybe ill keep the mirrors on there... this is actually quite entertaining to watch!

So +1 for the mirror trick from me!

Myka
11-01-2013, 10:43 PM
Every time I add a new fish to my system the other fish pic on them.

[...]

I have Tangs, and Anthais at the moment.

How big is your tank? Which species of Tangs and Anthias do you have? Which fish have you tried to add with no luck?

I'm also a big fan of the mirror trick. It works very well - especially with Tangs and Angelfish.

derrick719
11-03-2013, 09:53 PM
im also having this issue will have to try the mirrors.
i got a yellow watchman golby. a royal gramma and put them in with my 4 damsels 2 clowns in a 45.
bit the gammas tail off right away moved the rocks around still pciking on it and almost killed one of there own.

is this normal for damsels?

Coasting
11-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Damsels are notorious for being **** heads.
Many people recommend to always add a damsel last and 4 sounds like asking for problems.
However, I can't comment from personal experience on Damsels, as my single yellow tale is the most whipped fish in my tank. My Anthias does not let my damsel come out and swim, never mind give him the opportunity to act like a typical damsel.

My mirror here is located between the 4 pieces of tape seen.
I had to take the mirrors off as my Wrasse was spending too much time going nuts of them too, he was trying to offer food to the mirror fish... But when the Anthias acts up again, the mirror goes back up for a few hours.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/Lolaandthecrowd/Fish%20Tank%20-%20SW/20131031_112133.jpg

mrhasan
11-04-2013, 12:01 AM
Anyone ever tried vodka dosing? I heard alcohol can make the best of friends :lol:

Anyhow, just thought of cracking a joke. Let's move on :redface:

derrick719
11-04-2013, 12:01 AM
the damsels came with the tank i put a mirror up and only attracted the clowns.
have the injured damsel separated