PDA

View Full Version : Want to use old LR for new tank

O-Pee-Chee
10-31-2013, 01:00 AM
So in May of 2012, we moved and I took down my SW tank. Since then, the rock has been sitting in a couple of 5G buckets outside with a lid on it. No idea of the condition but I imagine it's not pretty.

Fast forward nearly 18 months later and I'm starting my SW tank again from scratch and curious what I should do with the rock. I'd like to use it but what should I do with it before putting it in the tank to start the cycling process? Should I just scrub and rinse it and drop it in or?

Thanks!

Madreefer
10-31-2013, 01:09 AM
Should I just scrub and rinse it and drop it in or?

Yup and watch it cycle:sad:

saltyair
10-31-2013, 02:05 PM
I would soak it in ro water for a day or two, scrub off what you can and watch your cycle

So in May of 2012, we moved and I took down my SW tank. Since then, the rock has been sitting in a couple of 5G buckets outside with a lid on it. No idea of the condition but I imagine it's not pretty.

Fast forward nearly 18 months later and I'm starting my SW tank again from scratch and curious what I should do with the rock. I'd like to use it but what should I do with it before putting it in the tank to start the cycling process? Should I just scrub and rinse it and drop it in or?

Thanks!

TimT
10-31-2013, 03:26 PM
I would suspect that the rock will be very sulfitic... rotten egg gas, don't open the bucket in a closed area. Hydrogen sulfide is toxic.

I would rinse the rock in freshwater... hose it off outside and then let it sit exposed to the air for a few days. Once the rock doesn't stink it should be ok to use in your tank.

tang daddy
10-31-2013, 05:21 PM
Agreed with everyone above, with no circulation an lack of oxygen paired with fluctuations in temperature and light deprived your rock is done. Soak in freshwater and change the water 3-4 times. You should use a few strong powerheads to circulate the freshwater and maybe even flush the crud inside the rocks. Once the water is clear you should be able to add it to your tank

O-Pee-Chee
10-31-2013, 07:06 PM
To be clear, it's not going in an established tank so I'm not worried about going through a full cycle or anything.

I think there's actually a small hole in the top of the lid for when I transported fish long distances and wanted to stick an airstone in there so hopefully there isn't too much gas buildup inside but regardless, it'll be opened outside for sure.

I'll give it some good rinsing and maybe stick it in another empty tank with a powerhead for a bit and get it all clean though before it hits the new tank.

Thanks for the input.

O-Pee-Chee
10-31-2013, 11:42 PM
I opened up the buckets very carefully just now and was actually surprised to see the water is completely clear. There's some brown crap around the sides of the bucket and some speckles of brown on the top of the most rocks but I can actually see all the way to the bottom of the bucket. Still going to go through all the normal procedures but I was just surprised to see it so clean looking.

Reefer Rob
11-01-2013, 02:16 PM
If there isn't any livestock in the tank I would pressure wash it and set the tank up with it. Be sure add a few pieces of live rock to re-seed it. It's going to be loaded with phosphate so it may take a few months before the tank is habitable.

O-Pee-Chee
11-01-2013, 05:37 PM
It's not a huge amount of rock and I've had it in my possession for 5 years now.. It's just rock is stupid expensive around here (~9 a lb) so it'll cost me about $200 to replace it. I don't need anything for the tank so the idea was it would be free and easy to get going.

I do worry about phosphate leaching tho. I had serious algae problems before but it was in a stock biocube with the bioballs and everything in the back so it was more likely caused by the nitrate factory in the back. I'm not using my biocube this time tho.

So, I guess the real question is, should I just buy new rock?

canadianbudz604
11-01-2013, 06:18 PM
If your really worried just cook the rock, use a powerhead, heater, Rubbermaid bin, and complete darkness.

Myanth
11-01-2013, 07:23 PM
I don't have a ton of experience with this but I do have some. I'd say rinse very very thoroughly and then put it in the tank. I would add some good seeded rock and make sure you have very good skimming and lots of water flow in the tank and don't add any occupants until you've seen good cycling and zero ammonia and nitrite. Water changes to keep the nitrate down and buffer to keep the PH up as it will deplete rapidly as it cycles. Enjoy!