PDA

View Full Version : What invr. I can keep?

robert
09-02-2002, 12:30 AM
My tank has been sitting for some time now. Water parameters look great so I would like to start to add some corals. Right now I have just 3 damsels, that will be going back to the store soon, and some snails. What kind of corals I could keep in my tank? See my signature for tank info.

Your advice will be highly appreciated.
Robert

sumpfinfishe
09-07-2002, 05:41 PM
Well Robert sounds like your doing a great job! By starting off right and taking things slow is a major roll in succesful reefing as nature's reefs took hundreds of years to devlope. You could maybe start off with some polyps and mushrooms as they are really hardy and will survive in many reef conditions. As for corals well your lighting is great for soft corals and also for some hardy stony's like hammer or frogspawn.However halide would produce a wider spectrum of light fields allowing you to keep more challenging corals like
montipora or acropora's. However, you are running at 5 watts per gl. which should produce success with most soft and some stony corals as well.
Goodluck! and Happy Reefing!

sumpfinfishe
09-07-2002, 05:45 PM
P.S. if you wanna good read check out "aquarium corals" by Borneman. It's my new coral bible and J&L Aquatics has it in stock at a great $$$
seaya s.f.f.

reefburnaby
09-07-2002, 09:57 PM
Hi,

A nice starter coral are photosynthetic softies. Stuff like mushrooms, polyps, leathers. Softies to keep away are all non-photosyntheic corals (i.e. carnations and sun corals) and sponges (i.e. big yellow/orange/red lollypop). Some of the more difficult leathers, like the fiji yellow leather, should be avoided for now. They are a touchy species.

Other easy corals are brain and candy cane corals. The rest of the other hard corals (or LPS) are a bit harder to keep and they require special attention.

On J&Ls website, each coral that they have for sale has a difficulty number. You can use those numbers as a guide.

Oh...you may want to start a refugium in your sump.

- Victor.

[ 07 September 2002, 18:00: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

robert
09-08-2002, 12:58 AM
Thank you very much for your suggestions guys. I learned to do things slowly and not to tweak things to often from my almost 20 years of fresh water fish keeping.
I had nice planted aquariums, bred different fish and I also got discuss fish to spawn, before I went saltwater. ;)

Yes, I got coral bible by Borneman just last weekend. It's really great book.

Victor I just added 15 gal to be refugium to my cabinet. 4" DSB and got some spaghetti worms to start with from Sam W.

Thanks again,
Robert

[ 07 September 2002, 21:03: Message edited by: Robert ]