PDA

View Full Version : Can a Kole Tang and Yellow Tang get along

Reef Pilot
10-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Does anyone have a yellow tang and kole tang in the same tank?

I have a kole tang and foxface in my downstairs tank, and they have done a wonderful job of keeping the tank clean from algae. But upstairs, I only have a yellow tang for algae grazing, and he can't seem to keep up. So I am thinking of moving my kole into the upstairs tank.

However, my yellow tang has not been kind to newcomers in the past. I have added butterfly fish and he harassed them mercilessly for the 1st 2 weeks. And yes, I used all the tricks to distract him, like pics taped to the side of the tank, and it did work to some degree. But after 2 weeks, he settled down, and would leave them alone. Although even today, he will still occasionally make a lunge at my Pearlescale, as if to say, get out of my way.

I've had the Kole for over a year now, and looks strong and healthy. I am hoping that he might be fast enough that he can avoid the Yellow. But on the other hand, would hate to lose a beautiful fish, and such a hard worker.

What do you guys think? Has anyone had success keeping both in the same tank?

Rice Reef
10-30-2013, 03:17 PM
I've had the two kept in a 120 together without any problems for three yrs now. The yellow is a bit larger than the kole and I have seen the occasional skirmish at first but that didn't last long.

don.ald
10-30-2013, 03:25 PM
I have a yellow and kole tang in my 90g for years. No issues.

Taipan
10-30-2013, 03:45 PM
I think you may have alluded to your answer. ;)

It's possible for these 2 tangs to get along despite similar(ish) body types. A lot have people have done it. However since your yellow tang is already the 'alpha' in the established display upstairs; it may not take too kindly to the Kole Tang.

Conversely; you may have a better chance if you introduced the yellow tang downstairs as it is a new environment for it. I know...that's not the point.

Prepare for some bullying and monitor to see if it gets out of hand. The kole tang would generally be more docile when compared to the yellow tang.

Madreefer
10-30-2013, 04:38 PM
I too have a kole tang with a yellow tang. No problems at all between the two. The problem is with the kole tang and blenny. The kole tang is constantly attacking my sailfn blenny.

LoJack
10-30-2013, 06:42 PM
In my last tank I also had a Kole and Yellow together.

In my new tank I've got a blue eyed tang (near identical to a kole tang) and a purple tang (more aggressive than a yellow tang with identical body shape) and even they get along.

Feed when you introduce to distract the yellow ... they should be fine after the initial introduction.

Reef Pilot
10-30-2013, 08:32 PM
Well, that is encouraging. For those that have both in the same tank, was the Kole added after the Yellow?

I should also mention that a few years ago I added a Scopas Tang in with the Yellow and it ended in disaster. The Scopas was dead in 3 hours. So that is why I am so cautious. And like I said, he really doesn't like Butterfly fish, but fortunately they are pretty quick, and he couldn't corner them.

Also my Yellow Tang is pretty large, 5+ inches, or more than twice the size of the Kole. Not sure if that is good or bad. Maybe good, in that the Kole will be able to escape into the rocks where the Yellow can't follow. But if the Yellow ever corners him, he could be in trouble pretty quickly.

Of course I would watch them, and try to net out the Kole if he gets into serious trouble. And will be taping the pics to the sides of the tank, where the Kole might retreat to. That did seem to work with the Butterfly fish.

Madreefer
10-30-2013, 10:52 PM
I think the problem is the yellow tang. He sounds like an a$$hole.

The Guy
10-30-2013, 11:15 PM
I have a Kole and a yellow tang in my 90 g with no problems, the kole sometimes goes after my cleaner shrimp when they are eating, weird!!

Reef Pilot
10-30-2013, 11:22 PM
My Kole Tang is generally pretty peaceful, and have never seen him go after any fish, incl Blennies. But occasionally he does peck at my cleaner shrimp's antennae, almost as if he is trying to clean it. Looks kind of weird actually, and the cleaner shrimp doesn't seem to get overly concerned about it either. He just withdraws the antennae for a second, but doesn't move otherwise, and the Kole moves on.

But again, those who have both, which one was in the tank first?

Magickiwi
10-30-2013, 11:26 PM
I have a hippo and a yellow in the same tank. I'm starting to have issues because the fish all crowd up against the left hand side of the tank and territories are starting to be formed.

Reef Puffer
10-31-2013, 12:40 AM
I have both in a 120. My yellow is an ass. He is the biggest fish in the tank and was there long before the kole. The kole tang is almost the same size. In the beginning there was lots of aggression from the yellow. Every other day the kole had new cuts and scrapes. I put up mirrors to distract the yellow but it only worked temporarily. It took a couple weeks before the yellow calmed down. He is still the boss and doesn't like to share his nori, but they get along fine otherwise now. Good luck if you decide to try.

Madreefer
10-31-2013, 01:05 AM
But again, those who have both, which one was in the tank first?

Yellow first

windcoast reefs
10-31-2013, 01:38 AM
I had a yellow and a kole for quite a while and they were fine. The kole ended up getting a parasite and died, so I replaced him with a white cheek and they get along fine as well.

xenon
10-31-2013, 02:51 AM
Depends on the size of the tank.

We keep 5 yellow tangs and 1 kole tang in some of our corals beds but its a big footprint (48x96").

LoJack
10-31-2013, 02:54 AM
Yellow and Scopas will always be a disaster. Similar body shape. Its tough to make that combo work. You typically need a very large tank to house a Scopas, Yellow, Purple, or Longnose Black together ... They all hate eachother it seems lol

Reef Pilot
10-31-2013, 03:44 AM
Thanks, everyone, for the great feedback. Am still on the fence, so not sure what I am going to do. I would really hate to see my Kole get hurt.

Taipan
10-31-2013, 03:51 AM
Perhaps.....you can bring your Yellow Tang downstairs first; and introduce it into the system with the Kole Tang first. Let them become 'acquainted' in the Yellow Tang's NEW environment. Since the Kole is familiar with the surroundings; it may be less intimidated and the Yellow Tang is unfamiliar territory. Once (if) they 'get along'; bring them both upstairs to the 'new' environment. New environment; fewer territory issues. In theory. That is....also.....if your upstairs display can go a little while without an algae grazer. Good Luck.

Wheelman76
10-31-2013, 03:57 AM
Perhaps.....you can bring your Yellow Tang downstairs first; and introduce it into the system with the Kole Tang first. Let them become 'acquainted' in the Yellow Tang's NEW environment. Since the Kole is familiar with the surroundings; it may be less intimidated and the Yellow Tang is unfamiliar territory. Once (if) they 'get along'; bring them both upstairs to the 'new' environment. New environment; fewer territory issues. In theory. That is....also.....if your upstairs display can go a little while without an algae grazer. Good Luck.

Great idea !

Reef Pilot
10-31-2013, 01:31 PM
Yes, I thought of that, too, and agree that would be much better for the Kole. However, the problem would be in catching the Yellow. Then I would have to catch him again in the downstairs tank. It will be hard enough to catch the Kole, but I think I have a better chance with him because I have a feeder that he comes up to. Actually, that is how I caught the Foxface once before. And you can imagine how skittish a 6" Foxface can be.

Rice Reef
10-31-2013, 04:55 PM
The yellow tang came first and kole followed after a few months. Had no major issues ... A few flashing moments between the two and now are best pals.

Tracey2
10-31-2013, 06:17 PM
I have both in a 150g, yellow first then kole, no issues.

Reef Pilot
01-04-2014, 06:41 PM
Well, I finally moved my Kole Tang from my downstairs tank to my upstairs tank, along with a small Purple Tang and a Melanurus Wrasse that just completed their QT. I have a very bully, large Yellow Tang upstairs (has caused great havoc with other new fish in the past) and am hoping adding multiple new fish will divide his attention.

It took me a week or so to finally catch the Kole. I have a fish trap that I set up near where I feed, and kept putting some food inside. Eventually, he would go in, and today I let the trap door go down and caught him. Almost didn't get him, though, as he escaped once when the door came down too slowly. But he was dumb enough to go in again, and this time I had him.

They've been together in the upstairs tank for a couple hours now, and so far it hasn't been too bad. The Kole has not been bothered at all, as he seemed to be smart enough to find a place to hide, and stay out of sight of the Yellow.

Meanwhile the small Purple Tang seems to be having the roughest introduction. It's not from the Yellow Tang, though. But instead my Flame Dwarf Angel keeps going after him. The Purple seems to hang around one spot, and hasn't tried to hide. Instead he fights back with his tail slapping. If he would just go somewhere else, the Angel would probably leave him alone. The Yellow did come by a few times with a few tail threats. But again the Purple would fight right back (even though he is about 1/4 the size), and the Yellow would go away.

The Melanurus, of course, had no problems, and is already looking around the tank making himself right at home.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-05-2014, 01:26 AM
Have kept various bristlemouth tangs with yellows in the past and usually not too big of an issue.

Reef Pilot
01-05-2014, 01:40 AM
Have kept various bristlemouth tangs with yellows in the past and usually not too big of an issue.
Yeah, I am surprised. It's evening now, and all is at peace in the tank. By the afternoon, both the Kole and Purple were picking away at algae, like they've been there all along. And the Melanurus is in pod heaven...

Maybe the Yellow Tang is getting mellow in his old age. Or being together with the Pearlscale for a few years wore out his aggression. That little Purple one is a real toughie, though. Wonder what he will be like when he gets bigger...

Now I have to buy another Bristletooth for my downstairs tank. My big Foxface there is going to get lonely with his buddy gone. I am thinking of a Chevron. Not sure if J&L or King Ed's ever get those ones in.