PDA

View Full Version : You don't wanna miss this video! (NOT A SPAM!)

mrhasan
10-29-2013, 04:33 AM
Didn't want to ruin the surprise with an understandable title but...well...seeing is believing :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crLfRyf935E

Seriak
10-29-2013, 01:25 PM
Wild!!

IanWR
10-29-2013, 01:34 PM
I assume they are in brackish water. I don't know if all those fish would be happy long term. You can push any fishes normal range of salinity, you'll know you've gone too far when they die. They may not be able to breed, and it may shorten their lifespan, but you can keep fish outside their normal salinity.

xenon
10-29-2013, 02:03 PM
We've kept fish at a salinity of 1.009 (hypo) to treat the fish for marine ich so I would imagine you could acclimate the freshwater fish to that salinity level also.

Pretty neat to see but not very practical.

MarieH
10-29-2013, 02:07 PM
Its brackish, 1.018 or something, just slow acclimation and apparently this is a temporary exhibit. I remember some company trying to sell the idea to freshwater hobbyists several years ago.. I don't think it took off.

mrhasan
10-29-2013, 03:44 PM
We've kept fish at a salinity of 1.009 (hypo) to treat the fish for marine ich so I would imagine you could acclimate the freshwater fish to that salinity level also.

Pretty neat to see but not very practical.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Hypo. Brackish would be too high for goldfish, hypo sounds more believable.

Coasting
10-29-2013, 04:17 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. Hypo. Brackish would be too high for goldfish, hypo sounds more believable.

Goldfish can actually tolerate salt water much better then most tropical fish. Quarantine for them they usually sit at a 0.1-0.3% salt solution, and dips are 3% (30 teaspoons per gallon) and when I did the dips on my guys daily, the more often I did them, the more they got used to them and swam around in their salt water like nothing was wrong. Probably explains why the goldfish in that video are the most active fish in that tank. Its gotta be closer to brackish Im thinking... So im leaning more towards what Marie said..

Taipan
10-29-2013, 11:42 PM
Very cool....in a freaky weird kind of way. :)

mohammadali
10-30-2013, 12:11 AM
here in this video they hae trigger with bigger fw fish lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNtcCVIbwcY

ocean diver
10-30-2013, 02:14 AM
divided tank...with the gold fish at the front in freshwater and saltwater in the rear section, watch the video again and notice that the two never mix.

Coasting
10-30-2013, 02:18 AM
divided tank...with the gold fish at the front in freshwater and saltwater in the rear section, watch the video again and notice that the two never mix.

Are you watching the same video?

Theres freshwater fish in the front and back, and the clowns are in the front and back as well.

Goldfish tolerate salt water really well once acclimated it. They just shouldn't live in it for their entire life.

NickC
10-30-2013, 10:56 PM
Cool video. I had to watch it several times to fully grasp what they were doing. At first I thought it was just clownfish and goldfish but watching it again I see there are several freshwater species(types of fancy guppies) as well as a seahorse(notice it at 0:24 seconds) and the clowns and goldfish. You can also see no powerheads or much water circulation( the plant in the video doesn't move) I feel that plays a role in the success of this experiment with a heavier salt content near the bottom.
Thanks for posting.

mrhasan
10-30-2013, 10:59 PM
Goldfish can actually tolerate salt water much better then most tropical fish. Quarantine for them they usually sit at a 0.1-0.3% salt solution, and dips are 3% (30 teaspoons per gallon) and when I did the dips on my guys daily, the more often I did them, the more they got used to them and swam around in their salt water like nothing was wrong. Probably explains why the goldfish in that video are the most active fish in that tank. Its gotta be closer to brackish Im thinking... So im leaning more towards what Marie said..

Aha. DIdn't know goldfish can tolerate brackish water. Thanks for the info :)