PDA

View Full Version : Anyone buy their salt in Bulk?? From Where?

LoJack
10-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Hey guys,

I live up in Northern Manitoba, and myself and two of my buddies typically put our dry goods orders in together in order to save on shipping and bulk purchases.

If someone were to be looking at buying 10+ pails of Instant Ocean salt ... is there anyone you can buy from in bulk? I usually order from J&L, but now that Canada post and UPS each charge a $5 per pail handling fee on top of the expensive heavy item shipping ... its getting harder to get salt up here.

Let me know if you're aware of anyone shipping large quantities at discount prices!!

Thanks everyone

LoJack
10-28-2013, 07:13 PM
I guess I shouldn't say harder to get salt here, its getting more expensive to get salt here.

For comparison purposes, it works out to about $65 a pail after taxes and shipping to get it here ... which is pretty steep on a $38 pail of salt.

reefwars
10-28-2013, 07:23 PM
from what ive heard is that instant ocean recently went direct, so order direct from instant ocean , anyone can, they now deal direct with customers. youll still pay shipping and all that good jazz , plus they may have a min order limit im sure.

worth checking out anyways but thats what ive heard:)

Reef Pilot
10-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Don't know if this would work, but might be worth a shot. Kind Ed's in Burnaby sells IO for $30 a bucket, and brings it in pallets at a time. If you called them, and spoke to the owner, maybe you could make a deal with them to drop ship a pallet to Thompson, and just pay the difference in shipping. They would still get the sale and add to their volume discounts from the manufacturer, so both of you would benefit. Here's their contact info.
http://www.kingedpet.com/en/contact_us.html

AdamsB
10-28-2013, 07:56 PM
I buy mine from dr foster smith. 2 boxes of kent marine 200gallon mix (makes closer to 150g at 1.026, although I'll keep better track of this next time) for $45 each plus $18 shipping for both. Then plus taxes. Added a few other bits and pieces and the shipping stayed the same, not sure if there's a maximum amount you can buy before shipping increases. It takes a couple weeks to get here but I'm in no rush. Virtually everything is cheaper than I can get locally. Sometimes by as much as half price.

LoJack
10-28-2013, 09:07 PM
from what ive heard is that instant ocean recently went direct, so order direct from instant ocean , anyone can, they now deal direct with customers. youll still pay shipping and all that good jazz , plus they may have a min order limit im sure.

worth checking out anyways but thats what ive heard:)

I checked their website and they currently only ship up to 25 gallon boxes of salt ... would need too many of those lol.