PDA

View Full Version : LF: First Fish for the Tank HELP PLEASE

seasalt_newbies
10-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Well the Tanks says its ready for fish. Very excited. I am looking for various fish / shrimp to get started. Im not sure what kinds or how many even yet. Hopefully someone is able to provide some advice.

I have a 180gal tank and 90 gal below
Please call or txt me at 587-988-1107 to discuss my options, please send pics by txt or email

Thank you

Mike

Coralgurl
10-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Welcome and congrats on your tank!

You have a ton of options for fish, but you need to tell us what your overall plans are, reef, fish only.... How long has your tank been set up, cycled, equipment, sand bed or not??

Also, we love pictures so don't be afraid to show us your tank!!!

seasalt_newbies
10-25-2013, 05:58 PM
Ok hope these pics work

seasalt_newbies
10-25-2013, 06:58 PM
I'ts hard for me to admit this but I really don't know what I want to do with this tank.
I bought it used and I am not sure about the lights, if they are setup for reef or fish, or both.
I have had this tank running for about 8 weeks now, if you mean that my tank turned a horrible brown colour and then fixed itself a cycle then yes it has LOL

If there is anybody in the area that wouldn't mind coming over and checking the system out and telling me a bit more about it.
I will supply all the food and/or liquid supplement wink wink required to make it worth your time.

michika
10-25-2013, 07:11 PM
Well you're in the right place for starters!

I'd recommend starting with some research first. Get to know your current equipment (from the photos on my phone it looks like a very decent set up) and become comfortable doing maintenance and understanding what is good/bad in terms of safety.

The first thing I would recommend is that you get yourself some test kits (if you don't already) and make your way into one of your local fish stores. Get your parameters tested (pH, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite to start) so you know where you're starting from. Edmonton has a vibrant and thriving reefing community, there are incredible resources in your area for you to draw upon. After that then consider adding yourself some fish to enjoy.

I'd take you up on your offer but I'm a touch far. Do you skype?

seasalt_newbies
10-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Thank you Michika

I bought the stuff used and of course doesn't come with any manuals LOL but I have been doing my water changes and I have purchased a new heater and controller for that and my temp is spot on now.
I do have a huge test kit, but I have been taking water samples over to the store to have tested since I was in the area.
I also need to get my refrac calibrated.

BC564
10-25-2013, 07:52 PM
Looks like you are well on your way.

Reef-Geek
10-26-2013, 03:09 AM
a bit too much rock, I'll cut in half :biggrin:

seasalt_newbies
10-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Hard to believe that someone can post a topic asking what a corporation is on a reef site and get almost a 100 replies and 2500 views.
But I can only get 4 people to comment and not one that is interested in FREE food and Drinks

Crazy !!!!

Reef Pilot
10-26-2013, 01:22 PM
My first recommendation would be to set up a quarantine tank. It is useful for not only preventing disease, but also acclimating new fish. Use the hyposalinity method (don't use copper).
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23131-hyposalinity-treatment-process.html

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/6/fish

A first fish that I like is the Azure Damsel. It is hardy, easy to feed, colourful, and peaceful (unlike some other Damsels).

Good luck, and welcome to Canreef. Do some searching on various topics,... wealth of information available. But as always, strive for understanding, and don't just listen to popular opinion.

Bryan_k47
10-26-2013, 01:53 PM
I shot you a text
Easier then on here

Coralgurl
10-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Like Michika said, get some test kits, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite to start. If all three are at zero you are good to go. Never assume because things look ok, they are, especially at the beginning. I'd also try and figure out what you have for equipment, type of skimmer, what it's rated for. Lights as well.

Stay away from corals for at least 6 months as your tank stabilizes and starts to mature. During that time you can establish maintenance routines, understand testing and the effects of the above 3, then the big 3, calcium, magnessium and alkalinity and how they all relate.

Now fish, I have a 180 as well, I like my blue green chromis. Try 3 to start, they tend to school. Remember to only add 1-2 fish at a time and only once a week or so. This allows your tank to adjust to the additional bioload.

I love clowns, they don't require an anemone, your tank is too young for one anyway. Wrasses are bright, colorful, and can have unique personalities (I can pet one of mine). Some require sandbeds for sleeping, some are not reef safe. This is why you need to decide where you want your tank to go. Reef safe typically means corals and inverts (snails, crabs, shrimp). Yellow tangs add a nice pop of color.

Research your fish, if you see one in the store you like but not sure, go home, research it, then decide. Check live aquaria, the site offers good info on fish and their requirements.

Come up with a list of what you like and post it here. Hard to offer advice without knowing what you want. And some need to be added in a specific order to avoid aggression issues.

The Guy
10-26-2013, 04:46 PM
Chromis are a good fish to start with they are pretty hardy and not costly to get your tank established with right parameters, you got a nice set up there. good luck.

seasalt_newbies
10-26-2013, 04:54 PM
Thank you for the replies
I am trying to get a list together now of the exact equipment I have from the guy I bought it from.

The last 2 water readings that I had tested at AI in Edmonton were all zero and they said that it was ready for fish.

I have some snails and hermits in there now.

I will use that tester kit to get some numbers to show you.

I might have a taker on the food and drinks finally LOL :)
Thanks again

seasalt_newbies
10-27-2013, 05:40 PM
Well here is what I have as a list so far

Euro reef Rs 180 skimmer
Aqua medic 13 watt uv sterilizer
Quiet one 6000 pumps
Quiet one 400 pump
Titanium 500w heater
Aqua Temp Controller
Metal halide 2x250 watt lights
T5 lights 4 x white 4 x blue bulbs

Power Heads x 4 but not sure of type yet
LED bar, I have to look for the name on it when I get home

seasalt_newbies
10-27-2013, 11:16 PM
OK what do you guys think of these fish for starters and does any one have any of these for sale

Blue/Green Chromis sets of 3
Clown set of 2
Carpenter's Flsher Wrasse
Cleaner Common Wrasse
Firefish Gobies

587-988-1107

Mike Cole

duncangweller
10-27-2013, 11:24 PM
That's doesn't seem like a bad combo. Just introduce a few at a time to get things going

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

lpsreefer
10-28-2013, 12:25 AM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+1926&count=39&s=ts
here their list of good beginner fish.
Your tank looks fine from the pics.
test your water. if you got the rock from a reefer. you should be fine.
when buying fish or coral. dont be scared to ask Local Fish Shop there opinions on what ever your buying. or if there are other people round asking their opinion.