PDA

View Full Version : Octopus?

Slyguy00
10-24-2013, 04:01 AM
Does anybody out there keep an octopus in their tank? Iv been watchin alot of youtube videos on reef tanks with them and they dont seem to be to hard to keep. Is it a headache in the making or a safe idae? If anybody out there knows anything about keeping these crazy creatures dont hesitate to share. thanks.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-24-2013, 04:18 AM
Octopi are extremely skillful escape artists. As long as their beak can fit through the opening, they can get out. Also, most are nocturnal so you'll rarely see them cruising around your tank. They need to be in a species tank that is set up with no openings so it is essentially escape-proof. Lighting is not an issue but water quality is cause if you have an overflow, it will find it and makes its home inside it and probably go down into your sump.

They are also short lived so don't expect more than a few months, maybe a year from your octopus. In the wild, many species live one year, mate, have eggs/babies, then die.

I had one years ago in a simple 20g setup. It stayed in its cave almost all the time. Could go a week or more without seeing it. Only came out when I dropped in a live shore crab for its dinner. That was admittedly fun to watch. But it lived by itself and the tank was kept low down near the floor in our basement suite to keep the water cool since many species seem to prefer cooler temperatures.

Slyguy00
10-24-2013, 04:20 AM
Thanks anthony, that helps alot!

gregzz4
10-24-2013, 04:29 AM
Besides what Anthony said, I've read they can also become unhappy if you don't keep them entertained with puzzles etc - things to interact with
So tricky things to open/get into, and sometimes with food inside

Slyguy00
10-24-2013, 04:35 AM
Sounds like it might be more work than its worth. Thanks for the info guys

mrhasan
10-24-2013, 04:49 AM
Yah octopus are like huskies of the sea. You gotta know what you are getting into ;)